large video files - iXPAND FLASH DRIVE

Hi,

I am considering buying the SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive For Iphone and Ipad.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand

I am using an ipad pro, 64GB, 10.5 inc.

The main goal is to play and transfer large video files (especially movies files).

What version will fit my needs? 

10x

Lior

Anybody?

how large are the files you will be playing? if they are larger than 4GB you would need to use the exFAT file system. 128GB capacities and above come preformatted in exFAT 64 and below would need to be reformatted in exFAT using a computer. 

Also what are the video codecs and audio codecs used in your videos? Dolby DTS and MLP audio codecs are not supported so you should avoid them and for video MP4 is the best codec to use for the most compatiblity. 

1 Like

I have the 64GB version of iXPAND and was unable to copy videos (about 6GB) to the drive from my iPadMini4.  I really appreciate your information drlucky… when plugged into my pc, the drive does show to be FAT32.  A quick (and probably stupid) question: If I reformat the iXPAND drive to EXFAT on my pc, will the iXPAND app on my iPad still recognize it as a valid storage media, or even better, will the iXPAND app still recognize the device as one of it’s own?  A little scared to do something that permanent and end up with an expensive, curly, pc-only drive as a result.

Thank you for any help!

yes it will still work with the app in exFAT. make sure you backup and data before reformatting as formatting will erase all the data. 

1 Like

Thank you!

Having the same problem.  Anybody can point me to a “how to” of doing this reformatting?  I’m trying to copy a moving from iTunes to my iExpand and I get an error saying the file is too big.  It has successfully transferred smaaller video files.

you would need to use a PC or MAc to format the drive. use exFAT as the file system. Google search how to format for instructions. 

That being said you will not be able to play movies from iTunes. Movies from iTunes are DRM protected and cannot be played be the iXpand Drive or Topreel apps. 

how large are the files you will be playing? if they are larger than 4GB you would need to use the exFAT file system. 128GB capacities and above come preformatted in exFAT 64 and below would need to be reformatted in exFAT using a computer.  https://downloadluckypatcher.co