Directory creation on an iPhone

Hello,

Can the iXpand app be used to create new directories on the iPhone?

This would be particularly for organizing files.

As a correlary question, can a directory structure (folders containing files) be copies from a PC to the iXpand drive AND from the iXpand drive to the iPhone?

Again to facilitate and help organize file movement.

@gere wrote:

Hello,

Can the iXpand app be used to create new directories on the iPhone?

No, any data copied from the ixpand to the iphone other that photos and videos (Nativity supported by the iOS device) will be stored in the iXpand app and accessible by selecting view files and switching the toggle at the top to iPhone. You can sort the files by picture, video, music, or files but you cannot create folders.

This would be particularly for organizing files.

As a correlary question, can a directory structure (folders containing files) be copies from a PC to the iXpand drive AND from the iXpand drive to the iPhone?

Yes, you can copy any folder structure from a PC to the iXpand and browse that folder structure in the iXpand app by selecting view files and sorting by files. 

No, you cannot copy that folder structure to the iPhone. 

Again to facilitate and help organize file movement.

Thanks for answering this post.

I am trying to use my iPhone in a manner that enables me to not have to use my laptop when I travel, which means I’ll need to carry the non-native files on the drive and view them on the phone.

Some files are too large to be displayed comfortably on the iPhone so I’d also need to extend the iPone display to a larger monitor.

The iXpand seems to be a way for me to carry the files and provide a means to display them via the App.

The Apple Digital AV Adapter provides a way to extend the iPhone screen to a larger monitor.

The problem is that both the IXpand and the Digital AV Display adapter both need the Lightning connector and the iPhone only has one Lightning connector.

With iXpand, would I be able to locate a non-native file and display it with the app, then disconnect the iXpand flash drive from the iPhone and plug in the Apple Digital AV adapter to extend the file view to a larger screen?

This sounds a little kludgey but I don’t know of a better way to do what I need to do.

if you have an apple TV or something like that you could use air play and duplicate your screen. 

Depending on the file type you may be able to copy the file from the ixpand to your iOS device (it will be copied inside the iXpand application and then with the ixpand disconnected select “view files on iPhone” at the bottom of the drive not connected screen (it is a little hard to see but it is there) and see if the file will open. Depending on the file type it may or may not be able to be opened in the ixpand app.