REPLACING SAMSUNG 840 WITH SANDISK ULTRA II

@janj wrote:

As you know, I am a purist when it comes to SSD issues…

I have 2 companies products:  Samsung 840 and SanDisk Ultra II…  

I’ve had issues with both, but SanDisk Ssupport has been better than Samsung’s…

Because of the positive suppport I’m getting from SanDisk, and somewhat negative support I’m getting from Samsung… I’m making a change… and I’m informing others of it…

I hve noticed that the Samsung 840 slows down as data ages… Starts at 200+, and slows down to 100+ after a year… 

Samsung says 840 doesn’t do this, only other models, so they haven’t come out with a firmware fix for it.  (840 firmware is current).

I recently learned if I copied all data from Samsung to another drive, delete all data on Samsung, and copy it back again, the speeed of Samsung drive goes back to 200+…      !!!

When the drive slows down, it drags down entire system if the program needs data from multiple drives… and it does in this case…

This leads to a situration where the individual drive (Except Samsung) test fine, yet when used in conjunction with Samsung data,  the whole system slows down!!!

MY WORK AROUND:

I just purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD to  REPLACE the Samsung 840 128GB SSD…

Tests with a single SanDisk Ultra II indicates it is faster than the Samsung 840, and Hopefully it will not degrade over time… as the Samsung SSD did… So this should speed up slightly the Edit system throughput…

The Samsung 840 128GB SSD will be moved to a shirt pocket USB3/2 enclosure, where,  (if it slows down)  a slowdown will not be evident, and the improvement of SSD over Spinning Hard Drive for a shirt pocket enclosure will be seen…

Once drive gets here, I’ll make the change…

Samsung support says the Plain Vanilla 840 does not do this, only other versions of the 840 drive…  and my driver version is current…     

I obviously disagree with Samsung, but that doesn’t get me anywhere.