REPLACING SAMSUNG 840 WITH SANDISK ULTRA II

Many interesting comments…

I requested what Trim settings I should do over and above the Samsung drive Utility… They (Support) said “use none”, and so I followed the instructions from MFG.

Same as I’ve done with SanDisk.

As posted before,  in one breath Samsung Support says this unit will not need a firmware Update, because they felt that the symptoms I described, tho identical to EVO and PRO issues, were not discovered on the 840 drives.  And then, in the next breath, they provide a manual procedure for the equivalent of a Trim Cycle… “Copy all data off, erase all data, and copy it back”…

The Samsung 840 Drive is not broken, it just needs a firmware update line like the EVO and Pro Versions receiveded.  Samsung told me this will not happen.

SanDisk drive  mounted in same exact slot where the 840 drive used to reside, does not slow down over time…  Any Trim settings are whatever Windows 7-64 uses for both drives…

I encountered this slowdown procedure twice with the Samsung 840.  In both cases, since the drive was used for video cache Database, this slow-down rippled though all other drives attached to the system… So all drive throughput suffered because the lookup tables for media on other drives was delayed when the  840 slowed down.   When I copied off the database, erased all files from the 840, and then copied database back to the 840, the 840 speed increased back to when it was new… This same ‘repair’ was done twice, and both times speed was returned to ‘normal’.

Over time, however, this degraded…  

I have not seen this slowdown with the SanDisk Ultra II disks over time… even  in the same physical slot the 840 was in.