Laptop doesn't recognized freshly cloned SSD

I have cloned my Ultra II SSD using Apricorn but so far I am unable to get the laptop to recognize the new drive, I get a message saying that there is no recognizable boot device and that I need to use recovery or some other method to boot the computer.  Do I need a SanDisk driver or some other software loaded on the SSD to get it recognized?  Any suggestions?

it sounds like the clone was not successful. this can happen with some OEM installers where there are recovery partitions or the source disk is not healthy enough to clone. You may need to try some other cloning software (the free apricorn version is pretty limited) that has more options and try a partition to partition clone. If that fails as well the source disk may not be able to be cloned at all. 

Hi,

I’m having a similar problem.

Upgrading laptop 500gb HDD to sandisk Ultra II 960gb SSD.

Clone went ok, no issues. Even appeared in Explorer after it finished as extra drives (it was connected via USB to do the clone) Shutdown and replaced the HDD with SSD. The laptop bios recognises the drive but not on the boot priority screen.

Needless to say it doesn’t boot either. Just tells me “no bootable device”

Went out on a limb and just decided to do a clean windows install and still the device cannot be selected as a boot drive.

Still appears in the bios though.

Any ideas? It almost as though the laptop needs very specific drivers to make the SSD work.

Thanks

Dave

in a month or so I’m looking at doing the same thing that failed in this thread…

Would I be better off using Acronis to make the image, and then just knowing I’ll need to boot my imaged drive on SSD twice, once to boot, realize that it has wrong driver for boot drive, load proper driver, and request a second boot… And a second time to have it boot fully???    That is what I’ve encountered before (as long as the drive I’m going to is larger than the drive that was imaged…

Make sure that the BIOS is set to use the SATA ports in AHCI mode…typically, BIOS defaults to “AUTO”. I’ve found that 99% of the time this does not work.

check to ensure that the source and clone both use gpt or mbr, and uefi or legacy bios. i had issues when trying to clone a mbr partition to a new drive i set up with gpt.

you will also want to check the uefi and or legacy bios settings, verifying things like boot order, secure boot, tpm, etc.

what OS are you using? is a fresh install of windows possible?? i ask this because cloning software often works better in theory than practice. ive used all the big names and all of them are inconsistent. these clones rarely perform as well as a clean install from both a performance and reliability perspective. the imaging software Bvckup2 makes a MUCH more robust backup and the backup quality is on a par with Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac (ie, the best quality backups in town). so a fresh install from a iso file and then using an image made using Bvckup2 will IMO give dramatically better performance and stability