How to ensure compatibility?

Hi,

I am considering ordering a 240 GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD to install it on my laptop computer, but I won’t be able to return the SSD if it does not work!

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A200-1BP (also identifiable as model PSAECE-01U00XTE). The SSD will replace the existing 160 GB Toshiba 2.5" SATA HDD (MK1637GSX) on the laptop. I plan to clone the HDD to the SSD. The laptop is running on Windows 7 Home Premium.

The SanDisk SSD above seems to have the right form (2.5") and the interface (SATA) but I am not sure if these two are enough to ensure compatibility. Unfortunately, SanDisk says (unlike Crucial for example) it does not provide compatibility information for specific computer models. Can you pls help me on this or give any hints? Thank you.

Alper

Sandisk customer support kindly confirmed that the 240 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD would be compatible with my Toshiba Satellite A200-1BP laptop but I installed Crucial’s 250 GB MX500 SSD instead. I preferred the MX500 because I noticed that it (launched in December 2017 with very good reviews) was a much newer product than Sandisk Ultra II (two years old) and yet the price difference was only around 10%.

I am not sure, however, installing the MX500 vs Sandisk Ultra II resulted in any significant difference on the Toshiba Satellite A200-1BP. The MX500 very significantly reduced the boot time of the laptop (it took the laptop as long as 5 minutes to get fully usable, but now around 45 seconds and I am planning to take some further measures to reduce that a bit further) as well as the launch times of individual programs.

Yet, the reading / writing speeds provided by CrystalDiskMark is nowhere near the advertised values for sequential reads/writes for the MX500. CrysalDiskMark shows 120-130 MB/s vs 500-550 MB/s advertised. This is probably mainly due to the Toshiba Satellite A200-1BP being a very old model (I think I had bought it back in 2007!). But given that Satellite A200-1BP has a SATA-2 interface and the theoretical maximum bandwidth of the SATA-2 interface is 3 Mbps = 0.375 MB/s, I was expecting a bit better performance!

Alper