A Firmware question SanDksk Ultra II --Both 480 & 960

I have a 2 drive external Raid that I use for laptops… Presently there are 2 MomentusXT SSHD drives in them with identical  firmware…    This system will shortly  be moved to a new laptop that has external ESATA  capability…

Whereas this system did a fantastic job before… I’m seriously considering Purchasing 2 new Sandisk Ultra II 480 or 960 drives, due to the success I had with 2x Sandisk Ultra II 480’s as Raid 0 on my desktop system…

If you recall, I had trouble getting 2 simelar firmware’d drives for use in the Raid 0.    Sandisk went out of the way exchanging one of them such that I’d have two identical firmware’d drives for the Raid Array, but told me it was a one time deal…

A year plus had transpired, and I have had such success with the Sandisk Ultra II in a Raid 0, that I’d like to do it again…

EXCEPT-- the firmware wants and needs to be identical…

Can someone from the factory post the current state of affairs with Sandisk Ultra II drives, both 480 & 960, is there now primairly one version out there for each 480 & 960???

A sale is depending on it…   (P.S.: Mushkin tells me only one firmware for the Reactor models) ----- But I’ve had such success with SanDisk Ultra II, I’d rather use SanDisk… but then there is the firmware issue…

Patiently awaiting an answer…

IIRC the ultra II BOM has 2 different hardware builds thus the different FW versions. I do not think you will be able to purchase 2 ultra II drives and be guaranteed they are the same. 

The Extreme Pro SSD only has one BOM I am aware of so my recommendation would be to go with 2 Extreme Pro SSD if the same hardware build is important to you. 

If the extreme Pro is the same price as Ultra II OK…

As mentioned before, other MFG’s guarantee identical units…

It’s a Shame!

I can’t seem to find Extreme Pro at same price as Ultra II… .5Tb or 1Tb

Identical firmware is a must for a Raid Array!

I seem to have no other option other than to  Leave SanDisk, which is un-fortunate, as I’ve had nothing but success with two 480Gb Ultra II in Raid 0 configuration…  and other Sandisk Ultra II drives.   I would have preferred to use a product that I know works in this configuration!

Another question for the SanDisk folks…

I don’t recall if there was a difference in the barcode label on the 2 different builds of  SSD’s…

Is there a way of determining hardware builds from the label on outside of the box?

I’m trying valiantly to stay with Ultra II drives…

Thank You!

For example… Here is a real world situation…

I’ve found the followig at a store:  SDSSDHII-480G-G25

Can you determine from this what model build the SSD is?

Thank You!

No you cannot tell the difference between the different hardware builds by the package or part number. I still recommend the Extreme Pro. it is more expensive but it is a better SSD so the extra cost is worth it IMO. 

I think everybody will get a kick out of this…

Found myself back in Chicagoland last week… And Discovered I need a 3rd SSD for a 2nd  ‘new’ project…

Went to Micro Center, and, they don’t sell Pro, and showed me specs where Ultra II was as good as Pro…  That sure poked a hole in the suggestions given here!  (Of Course, having 3 Ultra II’s in use now and completely happy further strengthened the Ultra II over PRO recomendation…)

So I got into an interesting discussion with Sales Guy there about the Ultra II hardware versions… He was aware of it from another customer, And he came up with a suggestion to ‘Get Around’ the 2 hardware versions issue  (OF Course, Remember: This is a Salesman we’re talking to!)

Since there is NO WAY to determine before hand which hardware version You’ll get: ‘A’ or ‘B’… and I need 3… Buy 3 Simultaneously!

Two will obviously be one type, and the third the other type!  :)!

I had to admit, he had a solution there!  My Wife wouldn’t like the $$$ but it Would Solve the Issue!!!  Put the 2 identical in the Raid Enclosure, and the 3rd in the  laptop!

So I immediately asked if they were having a Buy 2 get 3 Sale???   No, but the did have a $30.00 off for each!!!

Seeing that I had enough squirreled away for ONE DRIVE… I bought 1 960 Gb Ultra II, and for now, will have to ‘live’ with 2x Momentus XT drives in the raid array (Both with same hardware & firmware, by the way!

I gotta admit… Had I hasd the $$$ for 3x Ultra II 960’s, I would have found a way around the stupidity of having two hardware versions for the same product!!!

I’d like to thank the folks at SanDisk for fixing their product registration page… It was refreshing registering a product that was accepted!!! (Last purchase site rejected legal Ultra II disk serial numbers)…

It’s unfortuneate that I wasn’t registering 3 of them, but, try as I might, couldn’t confince Salesman to do a 3 for 2 sale!! :)!