A Firmware question SanDksk Ultra II --Both 480 & 960

I think everybody will get a kick out of this…

Found myself back in Chicagoland last week… And Discovered I need a 3rd SSD for a 2nd  ‘new’ project…

Went to Micro Center, and, they don’t sell Pro, and showed me specs where Ultra II was as good as Pro…  That sure poked a hole in the suggestions given here!  (Of Course, having 3 Ultra II’s in use now and completely happy further strengthened the Ultra II over PRO recomendation…)

So I got into an interesting discussion with Sales Guy there about the Ultra II hardware versions… He was aware of it from another customer, And he came up with a suggestion to ‘Get Around’ the 2 hardware versions issue  (OF Course, Remember: This is a Salesman we’re talking to!)

Since there is NO WAY to determine before hand which hardware version You’ll get: ‘A’ or ‘B’… and I need 3… Buy 3 Simultaneously!

Two will obviously be one type, and the third the other type!  :)!

I had to admit, he had a solution there!  My Wife wouldn’t like the $$$ but it Would Solve the Issue!!!  Put the 2 identical in the Raid Enclosure, and the 3rd in the  laptop!

So I immediately asked if they were having a Buy 2 get 3 Sale???   No, but the did have a $30.00 off for each!!!

Seeing that I had enough squirreled away for ONE DRIVE… I bought 1 960 Gb Ultra II, and for now, will have to ‘live’ with 2x Momentus XT drives in the raid array (Both with same hardware & firmware, by the way!

I gotta admit… Had I hasd the $$$ for 3x Ultra II 960’s, I would have found a way around the stupidity of having two hardware versions for the same product!!!