Should TRIM be enabled?

I have conflicting advice regarding the use of TRIM on a Ultra 3D SSD installed in a 2012 Macbook Pro (nonRetina) running Mojave 10.14.3. One says that the controller will do garbage collection so enabling TRIM is not needed - Apple TRIM is specifically designed for SSD drives native to MacOS Apple products. Apple TRIM may have an adverse effect on this drive’s performance and longevity. The other says to enable TRIM - it will work with the on-board controller garbage collection function to improve performance.

The drive was just recently installed. Currently TRIM is not enabled and the drive is performing as advertised - no issues. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

TevGuq

Garbage collection will work buit it is not real time. the drive will need idle time before garbage collection will run. That said I have TRIM enabled on my SSD and have not seen any issues.  

Thanks drlucky -

Can you tell me if your system is Windows or MacOS?

The reason for my question is due to the recommendation I got from SanDisk support - “To make it more clear I would like to inform you that we will not recommend you to enable TRIM on Mac operating system. TRIM and garbage collection are similar, but they are not the same thing. Unfortunately, for some reason, the Apple driver for TRIM seems to conflict with drives that have garbage collection built-in to the controller, so you won’t want to use it. It’ll actually decrease your drive’s performance.”

This comment was also in the same response - “I can assure you enabling TRIM using third party TRIM enabling tools will have no adverse effects on the SSD.”

I also have read that TRIM should be used with SSD’s. It’s the MacOS version of TRIM that has me puzzled.

Cheers!

TevGuq

its a MAC. TRIM in windows will be enabled by default for SSD. MAC disables it for third party SSD probably because they want you to  buy a new computer rather than update the drive :slight_smile:

Follow up question on this thread.

I have a Mac Mini (late 2012) that I have upgraded with a Sandisk SDSSDH3512G SSD.  I did NOT initially enable Trim but the drive was working fine.  Recently, the performance (read/write) has been degrading.  So I enabled trimforce but the computer is now very unstable.  Disabling trimforce makes the computer stable again but I am worried about performance degradation.  What is Sandisk’s recommendation for this situation?  How do I maintain performance of my drive without making the OS unstable?

Thanks!

@drlucky wrote:

Garbage collection will work buit it is not real time. the drive will need idle time before garbage collection will run. That said I have TRIM enabled on my SSD and have not seen any issues.  

The drive was just recently installed. Currently TRIM is not enabled and the drive is performing as advertised - no issues. Any advice is appreciated.

@britany wrote:

@drlucky wrote:

Garbage collection will work buit it is not rea audacity temp mail origin l time. the drive will need idle time before garbage collection will run. That said I have TRIM enabled on my SSD and have not seen any issues.