SMART Tests not completing

Hi,

I’m trying to run the SMART tests (short and long) on a 240GB SSD Plus from the SanDisk Dashboard, and in both instances the test never gets past 10%, eventually reporting that it has completed with status code 27. Further the SMART tests ‘last run’ status on the dashboard is just showing ‘None’. The drive’s overall health is showing normal. What does status code 27 mean, and how cna I get the tests to complete. OS is 64bit Win 7, if that makes any difference

Thanks,

Paul

Hi PaulBambury,

I saw other user reported this problem through our support center, this may happend due to various reasons, personally I would recommend you run a SMART test using a third party tool like Crystal Disk Info, and share result with us, if the drive is showing healthy in SMART then you shouldn’t worry too much. So fist step please run SMART use some third party tool.

Thank you!

Hi Chushi, I’ve had a go with smartmontools, and that also seems to be get getting stuck at 10%. When I issue a smartctl -t short c: the repsonse is that the is test starting and should be complete by hh:mm:ss. It just never never seems to get there, and eventually I have issue a smartctl -X

The machine is working 99% of the time, its just that we’re (very) occasionally getting windows 7 (I know need to go to 10, but that’s unlikely to happen this year now…) failing to boot and reporting disk error, press ctrl-alt-del. Curiously if we mount the disk as a non-os drive in another PC via a USB/SATA adapter, the tests all complete fine. Also tried the drive in a completely different PC (same build) as the OS, and again the SMART test won’t finish

Bit puzzled at this point…

Thanks

Hi PaulBambury,

Code 27 means the test timeout, and so far we have not seen any timeout caused by the drive, mainly caused by the connection, the SATA driver and the OS. Since you were able to complete successfully using the drive as secondary, how was the result ?

You can post the result here and I can take a look. But at the moment it appears to me your drive is working as expected.

Different SSD drives/firmware cause this problem, not as you state.

I had a SSD 240 plus (worked on both short & extended test) replaced by SSD 480 using same image only tofind the new one would not complete the extended test.

What is the test doing at 10%?

I have been told by Sandisk C/S that this problem is to be passed onto the technical department for further investigation

@paulbambury wrote:

Hi Chushi, I’ve had a go with smartmontools, and that also seems to be get getting stuck at 10%. When I issue a smartctl -t short c: the repsonse is that the is test starting and should be complete by hh:mm:ss. It just never never seems to get there, and eventually I have issue a smartctl -X

The machine is working 99% of the time, its just that we’re (very) occasionally getting windows 7 (I know need to go to 10, but that’s unlikely to happen this year now…) failing to boot and reporting disk error, press ctrl-alt-del. Curiously if we mount the disk as a non-os drive in another PC via a USB/SATA adapter, the tests all complete fine. Also tried the drive in a completely different PC (same build) as the OS, and again the SMART test won’t finish

Bit puzzled at this point…

Thanks

I have this exact same issue.

I have two PC’s both with the same SanDiskSSD

PC ‘A’ random boot failures, promting windows recovery even random power resets

Unable to complete the Sandisk Extended diagnostic test (status code 27)

I first tried fresh windows install then new SATA cables and differennt SATA controller, same issues

I then swapped the drives around between PC A and PC B

PC A now experiencing no issues, extended test completed succesfully

PC B now random boot issues and unable to complete dignostic test (same status code 27)

Will see if SSD is still in warranty now