SanDisk® Memory Zone FAQs

SanDisk® Memory Zone FAQs

1.       What is SanDisk Memory Zone?

-          SanDisk Memory Zone is a mobile phone application that allows you to transfer and back up your files, and optionally, secure them through a password protection feature. SanDisk Memory Zone manages both local memory (internal and memory card) and is integrated with the following online storage services:

·         SugarSync

·         Box

·         Picasa

·         Dropbox

·         Google Docs

2.       How do I use the SanDisk Memory Zone application?

-          Select the question mark button at the top right corner of the screen.

3.       What are the main features of the SanDisk Memory Zone application?

-          Memory source visualization

-          Integration with online storage services

-          Transfer files between sources both online and local

-          Password Protection for files (in phone memory and external card)

-          Backup/Restore phone locally and to online storage services

4.       Where do I get SanDisk Memory Zone application from?

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application can be downloaded by the following two methods:

o   Launch the Android Market application from your android device. Search for “SanDisk Memory Zone”. Upon locating the application in the search results, select Download. Accept the permissions required by the application. Download and Installation will begin instantly.

o   Visit https://market.android.com and search for SanDisk Memory Zone. Upon locating the application, select Install. Follow the prompts and the application should be downloaded to your phone.

5.       How do I uninstall the application?

-          To uninstall the application go to the Settings of your android phone. Select Applications>Manage Application. Locate and select SanDisk Memory Zone from the list of all the applications installed on your phone. Select Uninstall and the application will be removed from your phone.

6.       Why does the Memory Zone app use a lot of memory and CPU resources when it first starts?

-          Because we wanted to differentiate Memory Zone from other file/folder based browsers, we implemented categorized file views (i.e., Music, Photos, Videos, Documents, and Apps). In order to achieve this, a database/index needs to be created. The creation of this database/index is what requires a lot of CPU usage and memory.

•       There are plans to do more optimization, but there is no way to get around the need for significant handset and network resource allocations for local database creation, access, scanning, and transaction from the cloud services.

•       An app that presents the file/folder hierarchy type of browsing, does not require to build a database index.

Online Services

1.       What Online Storage services are supported within the SanDisk Memory Zone application?

-          In addition to providing visualization and organization tools for your local memory, the SanDisk Memory Zone application also integrates online storage services. The application currently integrates the following services:

·         SugarSync

·         Box

·         Picasa

·         Dropbox

·         Google Docs

2.       What are the features related to online storage services?

Service

Features

· SugarSync

· Box

· Dropbox

- View Photos, Videos, Music and Documents

- Perform Backup and Restore

- Upload or Download files

- Delete Files to Make Space

- Create New Account

· Google Docs

- View Documents, Photos, Videos and Music

- Upload or Download files

· Picasa

- View Photos

- Upload or Download Photos

3.       How do I add online storage services?

-          Upon successful installation of the SanDisk Memory Zone application, launch it by clicking on the icon. Once the application launches, select . From the list of available sources, pick the one you wish to add. Services integrated as part of the SanDisk Memory Zone application are Box, Dropbox, Google Docs and Picasa. Fill in username/password and select login. Upon successful login, the account will be added and the files under each account will be accessible.

-          If you do not have an account for the service, select Create Account to establish a new account for the service. 

4.       How do I change account login information?

-          To change account information for any one of the online storage services, open the SanDisk Memory Zone application, press Menu and select Settings. From settings select “Edit service login information” and select the service you intend to change account information for. Enter updated account information and save the changes.

5.   How do I remove a service I have already added?

-          To remove one of the online storage services, open the SanDisk Memory Zone application, press Menu and select Settings. Select “Remove service” and select the service you want to remove from the popup. Removing a service will simply unlink the service from the SanDisk Memory Zone application and you will no longer be able to access files from within the application.

6.   Why can’t I add two accounts under same service?

-          Currently SanDisk Memory Zone application supports adding one account per service. You can change your account login information to access your other account.

7.   How can I select multiple files?

-          Select the phone menu button and then select the Enable Multi-Select Mode. Once this is enabled then you can select multiple files by selecting them one at a time.

8.   Why can’t I see the media files from my “Phone Memory”?

-          Some handsets use “Phone Memory” for the purpose of application installation only and do not allow users to store any user data there. In this case, media files will not be shown in “Phone Memory”.

9.   How do I download or upload files?

-          To download a file, long press on selected files from one of the online storage sources. From the file options pop up, select Download to Memory Card to download the file. The file will be downloaded to the Memory Card.

-          To upload a file, long press on selected files on the Phone Memory or Memory Card. From the file options pop up, select Upload to Online Storage and select the service to upload to. The file will be uploaded to the service under the “MemoryZone” folder.

10.    Why am I asked for my online account details and where is this data kept?

-          To access your online storage service account to transfer files or backup your data, we need to confirm your login credentials for each account.

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application will store your account login credentials to the supported online storage services on your phone memory in an encrypted format.

11.    What happens if my phone runs out of memory capacity in the middle of a download or restore session?

-          A message will be displayed in the Notification bar that this has occurred.

Backup and Restore

1.       What data can be backed up using the SanDisk Memory Zone application?

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application provides options as to what content types on your phone that you want to backup. You can backup Contacts, Photos, Music, Videos, Documents and Apps from the application. During the first time you backup, you will be asked to select one or more of the above content types to backup.

2.       Where is my backup stored?

-          During the first backup, you will be asked to select destination for backup. You can select Memory Card or one of the supported online storage services to store the backed up data. Performing backup to the Memory Card will backup selected content from your Phone Memory. Performing backup to an online storage service will backup selected content from your Phone Memory and Memory Card.

3.       Can I schedule automatic backups?

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application supports automatic scheduled backups. During the first time you backup, you will be asked to select frequency of backup. The options available for scheduled backups are Only This Time, Everyday, Once a Week, or Every 2 Weeks.

4.       Are all the files backed up every time the SanDisk Memory Zone application performs a backup?

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application performs incremental backups instead of performing new backup each time. If the backup is being performed for the first time, all the files will be backed up to the destination of your choice. For subsequent backups, only the files that have changed or are new will be backed up. This will reduce the amount of storage and time required for the backup.

5.       Can I access my backed up data?

-          The backup performed by the SanDisk Memory Zone application is a file backup. The files are backed up to the destination of your choice. You can access files manually by going thru MemoryZone>Backup folder. We highly recommend you do not make any changes to the files under this folder and access only when you absolutely have to.

6.       If I backup to or restore from online storage services, what impact will it have on my monthly data plan?

-          Backup To, or Restore From online storage service will require an internet connection. The SanDisk Memory Zone application is designed with limited data plans in mind. By default, the backup or restore is performed over Wi-Fi only. However if you require, you can change the settings to perform Backup or Restore over cellular data connection.

Please note: performing Backup or Restore over cellular data connection, will impact your phone’s data plan. Please check with your network operator for plan details.

7.       How do I restore data to my new or current phone?

-          Restoring data to your phone (new or current) is easy. To restore on a new phone, please note you must download the SanDisk Memory Zone application first. Once you have downloaded and installed the application, launch the SanDisk Memory Zone application and select Backup/Restore from the main screen. From here, select Restore From followed by the source you would like to perform Restore from.

8.       Will Restore replace existing files on my phone?

-          Performing Restore from the SanDisk Memory Zone application will restore and replace all the files on the phone.

9.   Are all supported online storage services allowed to backup and restore?

-          Box and Dropbox are the two online services that are integrated with the backup and restore features of the application.

10.   Why can’t I perform a restore on some phones that are different than the phone that the backup was performed on?

-          The phone that you are going to perform a restore on must have the same memory configuration/attributes as the phone that the backup was performed on. E.g., music from the Droid Incredible’s Phone Memory cannot be restored to Nexus One’s Phone Memory because the Nexus One does not allow internal memory access from apps.

11.   Why can’t I do a backup on Box on one phone and restore it on a different phone using the same account?

-          Box supports only one device authenticated per account per app. So backup or restore on multiple devices won’t be supported if it uses the same account on those devices.

Private Files

1.       How do I make a file private?

-          The SanDisk Memory Zone application provides you a tool to password protect selected files. To protect a file, launch the SanDisk Memory Zone application and select the memory source to view files. Select one or more files and long press to get files options. Select Make Private from the file option. If this is the first time you are making a file private, you will be asked to set up the password. Once you set up the password, the application will store it and not ask you to enter the password to protect files every time.

2.       What is a private file?

-          Once you make a file private, the SanDisk Memory Zone application encrypts the file so no other application can open it. You can only open the private file from within the SanDisk Memory Zone application after unlocking it.

3.       How do I unlock a private file?

-          To unlock a private file, launch the SanDisk Memory Zone application and select one or more private files. Perform a long press and select Unlock Private from the file options. Enter the password to unlock and the file will be decrypted. The unlocked file will remain unlocked until you make it private again. 

4.       How do I retrieve lost password?

-          To retrieve lost password launch the SanDisk Memory Zone, press menu and select Settings. From settings select “Forgot my password”. Provide the same answer to the secret question that you entered when setting up the password for the first time. Upon successful match, the password will be shown to you.

5.       How do I change password?

-          To change password launch the SanDisk Memory Zone application, press menu and select Settings. From settings select “Change password”. Enter your old password followed by the new password and hint for the new password. Save the settings and your password will be changed for all files being stored as private.

6.       I have the current phone that has files that I have marked as private on the microSD card, is it possible if I have a new phone and want to use these media again on the new phone?

-          Yes, as long as the new phone has the same SanDisk Memory zone application installed on it and you use the same password to unlock the files.

7.       Why are the applications on my phone allowed to be backed up but I cannot restore them on another phone?

-           The applications cannot be restored on other phones because the other phones may not have the same capability of the original phone.

This application can show the partition memory card?

Hufttt… Not Responding…

Yes, it shows both the internal memory and the memory card (if installed) of how the memory is being utilized (by content type) as well as the free memory available.

I just wanna ask questions. I have 2gb sandisk memory stick for my phone and when i choose to default my settings in my phone it made the memory stick locked and continue to ask a password, but i dont remember putting a password. When i try to reformat, it was unable because it still ask a password. I try reformat it to a computer but it wasn’t able read by the computer … What do I do now for my memory stick? pls help me … then i have another 2gb sandisk memory stick also, but when i put in my phone, it shows only 245 mb, what do i need to do to make it 2gb again?? pls help me. I have this 2 memory stick and both have problems. pls help me :frowning:

Try to format them as FAT-16 on a PC.

Hi there!

Congrats for the app but i’m in a little trouble. I made a backup form the phone internal memory to the SD card and then when I try to restore apps it doesn’t happen at all.

First at all, when i try to restore this screen appears:

It shows me that there are 35 apps into the backup but then, whe i try to restore from and select from memory card, this appears:

Where are my apps to restore? The only way to perform the restore is manually?

@villora,

Is the phone you are trying to restore the apps on the same phone that you did the backup on? If not see the below FAQ #10 for the reason:

1.  Why can’t I perform a restore on some phones that are different than the phone that the backup was performed on?
  • The phone that you are going to perform a restore on must have the same memory configuration/attributes as the phone that the backup was performed on. E.g., music from the Droid Incredible’s Phone Memory cannot be restored to Nexus One’s Phone Memory because the Nexus One does not allow internal memory access from apps.

@gls

No, i try to perform the restore in the same phone. It’s a Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo (Android 2.3.4).

But I did the backup because I updated the rom from 2.3.3 official to 2.3.4 official. It could be a problem?

Anyway, if i restore apps manually can i recover data or only the apps?

Thanks!

Update… you cannot restore apps using the Restore feature. This is by design so that you don’t copy apps (especially ones you paid for) from one phone to another. However, you can do this manually, one at a time, as you have mentioned.

Hi

A warning about it could be fine

Thanks anyway.

Category navigation is cute, but how do you handle thousands of items?

I have around 4000 pictures just in Picasa, and dealing with them in a single list is impossible.

How do you handle hundreds of files with MemoryZone? Is there a way that I may be missing?

@nuno: We have just added a Search feature to help you along these lines. Also, we are considering adding a folder/file navigation option in a future release.

I’m having a problem with the app on my Samsung Mesmerize.  I haven’t been able to back anything up successfully at all.  Not one single session has backed anything up.  What’s wrong?

@MongotheDerp: Please provide more details like where are you trying to back (card or cloud service)? Check to see that you have enough space on the target backup area. Also, you may want to try on a different WiFi access point or over 3/4g as some corporate firewalls block certian cloud services. Let me know what you discover… you can email us at dl-android-apps@sandisk.com

Thanks!

i need a mini SD card were x

I have read most of the post and it seems that you can not restore applications even though you can back them up.

Why give user the false impression that they can backup and restore apps I have purchased.

If I do reinstall my apps individually is there any where I can find the data created by a given app?

You should take anything referring to apps from your promotional literature and from your screen views.

1 Like

Was told by Teer 2 tech at Verizon to use this app to backup my droidrazormaxx, before resetting phone to f. settings. I did and I put all pics on p.c. for protection.glad that I did…and I do Not have that many apps etc. downloaded etc. Backedup phone to sdcard per V. advice.

BUT, when went to restore my data, it did not restore all contacts, or the apps like Verizon said it would do. 

Now, have to go back and redo all my freakin apps etc. and what the hell, my contacts…who remembers numbers to contacts…**bleep** i am peod.

32 GB SD Memory card not working purchased just 15 day before only, not at all opening  found defective why this type of products pushing the market it is cheeting

My 32GB micro sd with all my babies pics  cannot be detected by any device I’m putting it in. Please help me recover my data. Thanks.