Highlighted
Accepted Solution

SSD with XP

Well i am an XP user, so does this make any difference if i use SSD with XP ? i heard people saying, SSD performance issues with XP ?

Re: SSD with XP

Well,there are no compatibility issues of using SSD with WindowsXP as such, but features like TRIM,NCQ and APM are available natively in newer OS like Windows 7, but you would definitely experience faster Boot ups and opening up of Applications and faster read and write speeds even in WindowsXP but for optimal performance from an SSD ,upgrading to Windows7 is advisable.:smileywink:

Ohh well, whats TRIM,NCQ and APM ?? i am not that much computer literate...so please explain it

Trim allows an operating system that supports TRIM to tell the SSD which data blocks are no longer in use by the file system so these data blocks can be erased in the back ground. basically what this does is maintain the speed of the SSD throughout its lifespan.

currently the only Windows OS that supports TRIM out of the box is Windows 7 

NCQ (Native Command Queuing) this allows the drive to reorder the commands sent so it can deliver the data more efficiently basically NCQ will increase random read and random write performance. APM (Advanced power management) allows better power managment of the drive. Both are part of AHCI (Advanced Host Control Interface) and will need to be supported both by the BIOS of your computer and by the OS. You can check your BIOS to see if you have AHCI support. If not you will not see that advantages of using AHCI.   

Additionally Windows 7 natively supports File system alignment. this will align the disk to 4K and give you the best possible performance.   

Message Edited by drlucky on 03-08-2010 11:40 AM