"Media Drive Is Not Responding" problem

Ok problem solved! It’s an odd one so thanks for reading this long response…

After your last message I contacted live chat customer support and was talking to them for almost an hour. Sadly they weren’t much help. I felt like I was forcing them to lead me in fixing this thing instead of the other way around. Thankfully I’m techie enough where I was able to do so without much issue, but it was still frustrating that they couldn’t help. Their final words were for me to format everything, including the memory card, and start over and see if that worked.

I backed up the videos off of the main harddrive on the device and took out the memory card all together. Why format when I could just pop that out? Anyway, I turned on the app to get into the drive’s settings to format it, when I noticed something. I had 10 videos on the main harddrive (noticed this when I backed up the files on my desktop), but up to this point only 3 were being detected by the device. Once I took out the memory card, all of a sudden all videos were listed off of the main drive. This put me back in “fix it” mode and I ran a test with the same video I was having problems with.

The video played all the way through! No stopping 10-12 mins in. So it was the memory card… ok, that narrows things down…

I then back up all files off the memory card and delete everything on it. I pop the memory card back in and play the same video. No problems. Ok, so it’s a problem with a file on the card. I then had to move 5 files at a time back onto the memory card, then play the video each time, which means I played the video for 15-20 mins every time, so this took me all day to figure this out. Oy.

Anyway, the problem file? An mp3. I have NO idea why a mp3 file was causing my problem, especially a file I was not even playing. In fact, my test video was on the main drive and this mp3 was on the memory card. I have no idea how a file sitting there would cause problems with ALL other files on the device. Makes. No. Sense. The filename of the mp3 didn’t contain odd characters either, it was all acceptable characters.

So now that that file is gone everything works great like it did before. Hopefully this is the last of this, if it comes back again later then I’ll investigate whether the memory card has a bad sector on it and see if that’s the cause.

Thanks for reading!