"Refreshing your media" and restarting constantly

Hi. I’ve owned my Sandisk Clip Sport for a while, and recently, it’s been giving me a bit of grief. I’ll be playing a song, then it’ll turn itself off and turn back on saying “Refreshing your media”. I’m not sure why it’s doing this, either. I have lots of music on my mp3 player, and charge it when I can. Is there a solution to this problem? Thanks for the help!

Oh, my Sandisk Clip Sport is 7 gb, but I put a 128 gb card in it, in case that helps. 

In my personal experience and from reading many messages posted within this Clip Sport Forum, the player starts to choke with micro SD cards above 32 gb memory.   Here is a very useful message stream that has lots of helpful tips.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Clip-Sport-and-200GB-SDXC/td-p/355520

Also above 2000 music files on the card, you can only play these files using FOLDER mode. You cannot control this cutoff (?)

AND, every time you use your PC to manage the SD card content, the player will refresh the music database. With larger cards and more music files, the refresh time can get kinda frustrating.  I think 16 gb cards are the sweet sport for the Clip Sport (and Clip Jam).

1 Like

I have a 32 GB card in it about 1/2 full. Maybe 600 songs. It refeshes media non-stop. Every keystroke or song change. Every change from internal to external. Evert time I pause and come back to it, it refreshes and never saves it’s place.

If this can’t be fixed, it is not useable. Can someone recommend a different FLAC player? I miss my Clip + devices…

I had something similar happening recently, and it was because the SD card kept getting disconnected at the pins,

and the player kept refreshing media because of that. After re-plugging the card many times it seems to have resolved itself

and cleaned the pins a bit. No idea how you could really clean them without opening it up.

So i would guess it’s something like that or another problem with the card, as it should only refresh after file transfers or a card being put in.

OK, I’ll try a different Micro SD and see if that helps.

I switched out the 32 GB Micro SD with a 16 GB one. Same problem. Refreshes media non-stop. Too annoying to actually use.

Here are a few ideas to try?

1. Install the latest version of the Clip Sport Firmware into the root directory of the player

2. Maybe remove all audio files that are not mp3 from the card. If this works, then slowly add back more files and see what happens

3. Maybe aim a jet stream of compressed air into the empty micro SD card socket

4. Maybe rub a bit of petroleum jelly on the teeth of the micro SD card and see if this improves the connection

Petroleum Jelly on the micro card and insert it into the Sandisk Clip Sport?  What?   Are you kidding???  This will never breakdown and totally gum up the deivce internally…  

Please explain why such a procedure would work scientifically!

Thanks for your comment.  I never researched the long term problems with Vaseline.   

Do you suggest any other conductive application?

Wet wipes for optics and a staple worked together to clean up a slot for SD.

When I started getting the “Refreshing your media” issue at random times, I also tried any kind of cleaning I could do because I thought that was my problem. It definitely could have been, but I just wanted to post what had happened to my player (twice now) and how I fixed it. In short:

the SD card holder had broken solder joints and was making intermittent contact to the circuit board.

I realized this when I had it open for cleaning, and noticed that pressing down on the card slot/holder would make it reliably read the card. I probably drop the poor player on the floor at least once a week, so this is how the card holder must have gotten broken solder joints. I went all around the slot with a thin pointy tip (about 1mm, smaller would be better) on the soldering iron, there are alot of small joints so you really have to take a close look. Have done this twice now, it has been running fine for probably 1.5 years since the last time.

So if you’ve done all the cleaning you possibly can (like i had), this might be something to try.