external storage is limited to 2000 songs?

Hi there

Everything is in the message subject: I just bought a sandisk clip sport, and  it seems that external storage is limited to 2000 songs no matter what size your SD card if you use the mode “SD card”. However, if you search for the songs by using the “file” menu, you have access to all your songs… any idea to fix it? I think it’s just a little bug of the software.

Thank you!

Cédric

1 Like

No, the database indeed is limited to around 2000 entries for each memory location; but no such limit using the folder view (as vs. the database).  An engineering limitation, unfortunately.  :frowning:

You can always buy another one. 2000 songs is more than enough. 

@fosterdrew wrote:

You can always buy another one. 2000 songs is more than enough. 

Not for many of us.

1 Like

Does this limitation exists also for the other Clip models?

@ziv wrote:
Does this limitation exists also for the other Clip models?

See this response to your same question in the Clip Zip board:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Zip/2000-entries-limit-in-the-database/m-p/332375#M6375

It’s worse than that.

There is also a limit to the number of M3U Playlists on an external Card.

That limit is 50.

The Playlist folder serves absolutely no purpose at all but yet it gets created by the firmware.

I have come to the conclusion that the Sansa Clip Sport is simply a POS that has no business being on the market.

If SanDisk had actually published this data before they released the product, they wouldn’t have sold a single unit.

“I have come to the conclusion that the Sansa Clip Sport is simply a POS that has no business being on the market.”

Even with all its drawbacks, the Clip Sport is still so much better than an ipod Shuffle. That seems to be the player it is meant to compete against. After getting used to using a Rockboxed Clip Zip though, I had high expectations for the Sport, expecting all the functionality of the Clip Zip, including Rockbox, but longer battery life, and a larger screen. It seems like there will probably never be Rockbox for the Clip Sport, as the hardware might not be able to accomodate it.

Greetings,

I just baught a sport, girlfriend loved the great battery life…

She had a 160 gig ipod, and i baught a 64gb card…

I used Media Monkey to put 25 playlists, 4500 songs on it and  ??? only the first 2000 songs from the playlists seen bummer 

I read some, and i noticed some other people mentioned there workarounds… using the folder method of enjoying theresongs…

My little addition is I used Media Monkey to put my playlists into a custom file structure on the external card, Music/Playlist… with the songs in each folder for each playlist and, ahhh, it worked, now the sport player will see and play the 6,500 songs in the different playlist folders, you navacate with the Folders, external , music, then pick your playlist folder…

I hope this helps others enjoy the little sport and there music…

I had to create a custom file structure in Media Monkey… you could do the same using Windows explorer and the external memore card, all your choice,

Enjoy

1 Like

The new Clip Jam might be interesting. I wonder if it has the same processor as the Clip zip, or as the Clip Sport. I hope it is like the Clip zip, so the player will be Rockboxable.

I can report that the Jam has the same 2,000 song limit as the Sport. Boo.

Here’s my quick workaround: I’m going to try splitting my songs into too groups, alphabetically by folder name (which generally matches artist), and limit each to 2,000 songs. The first half go in the internal memory. The second half go in the external. That way I have 4,000 songs in the database without (much) extra work, and I’ll generally know which database to look in. I’ll also use the external memory for all my podcasts, since my 16gb microsd will have a lot of spare capacity if I limit it to 2,000 songs.

Not nearly as good as a bigger database (and better yet an integrated one), but for the size of my active collection it should just about work.

Or, get/use a Clip+ or Clip Zip instead, if possible . . . .

I understand that limit is 2000 however on my 32gb ihave more tha 2000 are you saying that if i choose shuffle on the Album or song view i wont hear any songs that are not shown in the window

Therefore is there a way to have shuffle on the Folder window

Many thanks

@ncgreyfriars wrote:

I understand that limit is 2000 however on my 32gb ihave more tha 2000 are you saying that if i choose shuffle on the Album or song view i wont hear any songs that are not shown in the window?

Therefore is there a way to have shuffle on the Folder window?

You can shuffle your songs in folder view as well, but it will be limited to the selected folder. A workaround for shuffle play with the whole card content is to create a playlist with all songs.