audobooks not playing in order -- please help

Hello Support forum,

I had a Sansa Clip that finally started to die after several years, so I bought a new clip sport and added a microsd to it.  When I transfer books to it (I typically use overdrive for this, but I’ve tried drag and drop as well), the files show up in the folder where I send them just fine when viewed from my pc.  However, they play in random order.  Now, if this were music, then it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but NOBODY want’s to hear an audiobook in shuffle order.  Is there ANY way to fix this so that they’ll play in correct order?  The same books worked fine on my Clip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I listen to audiobooks on my commute to/from work (45 miles each way), and it’s really not the best practice to be scrolling through files on the player looking for the next chapter at 75 mph.

Thanks,

dow

This is being worked on for an upcoming firmware update.

That’s good news.  Thanks for the quick response.  Any idea when that firmware update will be available?

Hopefully soon, grasshopper, soon.   :wink:

1 Like

It is 2 5 2015 and I am still having the same problem. I have updated the firmware. I cant get the books to play in the right order. The files are clearly marked as to the file number. This makes listening to books VERY diffult and frustating. I had a Clip before this and it work great but they dont sell that one anymore…now im stuck with this…and it does not work…looking for a new brand if you cant get this fixed soon. Very said…nice player if it worked!  Please Fix!!

By some strange reason the Clip Sport sort the files in alphanumeric order instead of natural order which is a pain with audiobooks. Some examples:

Natural order:

chapter3.mp3

chapter21.mp3

chapter123.mp3.

Alphanumeric order:

chapter123.mp3

chapter21.mp3

chapter3.mp3

The Clip Sport use the alphanumeric order in database view. Personally, I can’t come up with any examples of when this is desired for Audiobooks but don’t expects this to change. There’s a workaround though: You can use a utility like Fat Sorter (Windows) or FATsort (Linux, Mac) to sort the files in “natural order” and then the folder view in the player to access the content.

FAT Sorter: http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour

The easiest workaround is to use the software Mp3tag and change the ID3 tag for Title and Track for all the files. The title of each track could be (for example) chapter 1, chapter 2, chapter 3… Then reuse the chapter numbers as track numbers:

Title: Chapter 1
Track: 1

Tittle: Chapter 2
Track: 2

Title: Chapter 3
Track: 3

It might seem like a daunting task but Mp3tag makes it really easy and fast to change title and track for all the files at once: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Another workaround (if you are a Mac or Linux user) is to use the FATsort utility (command line only) and sort the files on the player in “natural order” (-n) and then the folder view on the player to access the content.

A third workaround is to create a playlist with the files in proper order.

I know these are just workarounds but don’t think the behavior of this player will ever change.

A workaround is to use the software Mp3tag and change the ID3 tag for Title and Track for all the files. Make sure the total length of the title don’t exceed 12 characters. Each title should be numbered. An example:

Title field: Chapter 1
Track field: 1

Tittle field: Chapter 2
Track field: 2

Title field: Chapter 3
Track field: 3

If you have a file with the title “In the shadow of darkness 110” and track number 110 the title will be truncated by the sport and not sorted correctly. The title “darkness 110” will, however, work. It might seem like a daunting task but Mp3tag makes it easy to update all the files at once: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Another workaround (if you are a Mac or Linux user) is to use the FATsort utility (command line only) and sort the files on the player in “natural order” (-n) and then the folder view on the player to access the content.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14337

I know these are just workarounds but due to its hardware limitations I don’t think the behavior of this player will change.

A workaround is to use the software Mp3tag and change the ID3 tag for Title and Track for all the files. Make sure the total length of the title don’t exceed 12 characters. Each title should be numbered. An example:

Title field: Chapter 1
Track field: 1

Tittle field: Chapter 2
Track field: 2

Title field: Chapter 3
Track field: 3

If you have a file with the title “In the shadow of darkness 110” and track number 110 the title will be truncated on the sport and not sorted correctly. The title “darkness 110” will, however, work. It might seem like a daunting task but Mp3tag makes it easy to update all the files at once: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14337

I know these are just workarounds but due to its hardware limitations I don’t think the behavior of this player will change.

I just replaced my husband’s old Clip with this model. Also having the issues with audio books not playing in order. VERY frustrating. He is not tech savvy, but more importantly, we should NOT have to jump through these hoops. My ClipZip works fine. Why can’t this model?

I know how to tag, but the major problem with this is if you’re using DRM files, as from a lending library or Overdrive, you usually can’t mess with files and preserve your listening license.

Sandisk, this is a MAJOR flaw. Please, please correct ASAP!!

Unlikely anything will change with this model.  If you are still within the return period, you may wish to return your player and replace it with another Clip Zip or a Clip+.

Good advice. I just requested a return from Amazon. Thanks for all comments here!

I think that this was a good move for you.  Part of the frustration with the Clip Sport (in addition to its engineering issues) is that many people (understandably) think that it is supposed to be the latest advance in the Clip line–it isn’t.  Better to go back to the tried and true.  :slight_smile:

When ???

I

I just got a Clip Sport to replace my beloved Clip+ that recently passed away after years without trouble. Since I only use it for audiobooks, this is really a major problem. I’ve tried all the workarounds above: new firmware, renaming ID3-tags to “Chapter xx”, nothing works. The problem for me is that it It doesn’t even recognize m3u playlists, it just states that the file format is not supported.  

Will you guys at Sandisk ever solve this? Otherwise, the player is simply useless.

You tried editing the track number tags? When numbering the tracks, leading zeros are needed, ie 001, 002, …010, 011, etc.