Unknown Album Folder created

I have a nuisance problem with copying MP3 Audiobooks to internal memory from my computer The last two books I copied to the device were put into a folder titled ‘Unknown Albums’… Anyone have any idea what causes this and a way to prevent it. When I delete the book files in this folder with the computer, the folder no longer appears in the audiobook list

Are you copying the files using Windows File Manager or using a syncing software?

Maybe you need to make sure your files have the corresponding ID3 tags?

In my experience,  Unknown Album shows up when the files are not tagged. 

I don’t know anything about tags. I just download the MP3’s from the library, and copy them using Windows File Explorer. All the same way. The last 2 always go into the ‘Unknown Albums’. Do you tag using file attributes in Windows?

Well-regarded MP3Tag is a good freeware tag editor.  Do not be intimidated by it–you just need to learn how it operated and then all is well.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Well-regarded MP3Tag is a good freeware tag editor.  Do not be intimidated by it–you just need to learn how it operates and then all is well.

Sometimes a file’s tags from a source, such as a library, alteady have been filled in (although, not necessarily correctly or to one’s liking), but sometimes not. 

Well-regarded MP3Tag is a good freeware tag editor.  Do not be intimidated by it–you just need to learn how it operates and then all is well.

Sometimes a file’s tags from a source, such as a library, alteady have been filled in (although, not necessarily correctly or to one’s liking), but sometimes not.  A reason why a file/album may end up in the player’s “Unknown Albums” category, unril the tags are filled in.

Well-regarded MP3Tag is a good freeware tag editor.  Do not be intimidated by it–you just need to learn how it operates and then all is well.  A nice benefit with a tag editor such as MP3Tag:  files can be tagged in “batches,” such as adding/editing the album name tag for all of an album’s files in just a few button presses rather than having to do it file-by-file–this can make the editing process a quick matter indeed. 

Sometimes a file’s tags from a source, such as a library, alteady have been filled in (although, not necessarily correctly or to one’s liking), but sometimes not.  A reason why a file/album may end up in the player’s “Unknown Albums” category, unril the tags are filled in.

1 Like

Also, note that tags further can be edited in Windows itself:  right-click on a music file, choose Properties, and then the Details tab—the info. fields there (the tags) can be edited and saved.  This also can be done for a batch of files at a time, such as all the files for an album to change or add the album’s name:  highlight/select all the files and then proceed similarly.  This works well as a quick fix.

1 Like

The files are downloaded onto my computer by Overdrive, into a folder of my choice, and each book’s files are in a folder named the book’s title or something like it. Inside each book folder, the files are a number of MP3 files that represent the text . Also inclueded are two jpeg files and a single file with ‘wax’ extension. The big question is what is didfferent between most of the books that store normally with theor own folder, and a few who don’t.

In Windows 10, I do not see a ‘Details’ tab in the properties windows. Just ‘Sharing’, ‘Security’, and ‘Previous Versions’. Under General, there is an Advanced under Attributes, but it doesn’t look like what you are talking about. I am downloading the MP3 tag software. Would these details show up after adding some kind of tag with that software?

And you’re right-clicking on an individual mp3 file, right, and not on a folder?  I don’t have an audiobook file to test on, and am on Win10 as well, but definitely have a Details tab on the Properties screen, for an mp3 music file. 

MP3Tag hopefully will show the tag fields for you, to fill in and avoid that dreaded “Unknown Album” situation.

OK, yes, I was not looking at an individual MP3 file. I have now successfully tagged the pesky books that were not properly tagged from the library, and it solved the problem. I suppose when this happens again, I will just have to go back and tag the files and re-copy to the Sport. I don’t want to always tag every book if they are already OK.

I was instructed to put track numbers as well by a response from Sandisk when I reported the problem. I just received a timely response from them that essentially tells me what you have been saying… That caused me to do the tag on each individual MP3 file. Is there a simpler way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

In my experience, ad-hoc editing using the Windows Properties/Details tab is fine, such as to correct a few files with tags with typos. and the like.  Note that you also can correct more than a single file at a time:  highlight all the files you want to correct (such as, to correct a typo. in the tag album name, or to add an album name), go to the Details tab, and then you can change the tag for the field with a single entry input.

For more, though, I find MP3Tag most helpful (once you’ve gotten used to how it works).  It has some nice tools and wizards to do things easily, such as to autonumber all the track tags for the files in a folder.  Also, to use the file name to fill in the title name and vice-versa.  And so, making a change can be done in less than a minute.

(I’m not at my computer right now, but I believe that the autonumbering wizard is under the MP3Tag Tools menu option and the re-naming option is under the Convert menu option.  Again, use them a few times and it becomes near-second nature, and you’ll have the tags in audiobooks changed in a minute or 2.)

By the way, MP3Tag also can be used to easily add album (and book?) art to the files for an album, to add some pizzazz to the player’s display.    I believe that’s done under the Tag Sources menu option.  A minute later, and all your files for an album are displaying the album’s cover.   It’s a good thing.   :wink:

That sounds cool. There is most always a book cover included in the files that appears on the display now. I usually have the player clipped inside my pocket while I while away the time on my treadmill. That is my secret to a happy and healthy life. I did figure out that putting a track number is not necessary. I had another book or two come available while corresponding on this issue, and they also were missing an album entry in their tag details. I looked back to some books that were OK in the beginning, and the details there were complete and more extensive that the recent ones I have had to repair. I will now check before copying to the player and add the album if needed. Sometimes multiple books were put into that unknown folder, and that caused other problems as well. Thanks again for your guidance. Regards, Tom

Enjoy, and good luck!  :slight_smile: