Trying to create a playlist without Windows Media Player?

Is it possible to create a playlist without Windows Media Player? I have VideoLan if that’s any help…

Here’s the issue: I’ve made the test.m3u file, placed it inside the “Music” folder with the following contents -

#EXTM3U 1\test.mp3

So test.m3u exists in “Music” and “test.mp3” also exists in “Music.” However, when I access the “Playlists” menu inside the Sansa player, and then click on the “TEST” playlist, it reads as “EMPTY.” Why is this? Is it just that it can’t find the MP3 file or have I done something wrong with where I’ve placed everything?

Any help is appreciated.

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.          

First, I use Win File Explorer to create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music. Then I copy my selected mp3 files from my HD into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as “abc123.m3u” and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

1 Like

That was *EXACTLY* the kind of response I had been hoping for! (Sorry about the radio silence, btw.)

Your method works perfectly. Thank you so much, DFELD2005!!! :smiley:

Oh wow dude, this was so awesome!! I just COULD NOT get a play list on this thing and it was driving me CRAZY!! I just bought it yesterday to replace a 15 year old RCA lyra MP3 player that I use at the gym.  I need playlists so my songs are in order of what I’m doing at the gym (cardio, lifting, sauna) cos who wants to hear Five Finger Death Punch while trying to relax in the sauna, right? LOL! I consider myself somewhat computer/tech savvy and the instructions on the Sandisk website were totally NOT helpful! Thankfully I already had the VLC media player downloaded already and followed your instructions. SUCCESS! I see my 3 different playlists in the Music folder and I’m able to switch between the 3 different ‘zones’ that I have. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! I absolutely could not have done this without your instructions and I need this for the gym tomorrow (it’s 12:38 am as I’m typing this, lol)   MANY MANY THANKS!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

About a straight forward as a dog’s hind leg.   Why do I need to follow 47 steps to do what should be a simple process?  Every media player out there uses a simple straight forward process to set up a playlist.  With this you set up a play list on one device and pray it works on another.  I followed the instructions in the manual and ended up with an empty play list, two of them really.  Sandisk needs to get their act straight or quit selling ■■■■.

What is more I followed the instructions here worked in the file in the clipsportgo memory everything looked good but when I select the playlist I set up it reads empty.

A few simple suggestions to help get you started:

1. Make sure your Playlist filename has the extender .m3u

2. Use Music play mode (not Folder play mode) to play your Playlist

3. Maybe take a look at my favorite method of creating new Playlists directly on a Clip Sport (and Clip Jam).

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Simple-Batch-File-for-Playlist-of-Genre-Folders/m-p/359406/highlight/true#M3578

Best Wishes

Music play mode?

If by music play mode, working in the music menu, yes that is what I did/do.

Maybe if I explain what I am doing you can point out my error.  I have populated a subfolder under the music folder on the device with the music I want in the test play list.  I open VLC and ppulate a playlist from the files in the subfolder, then save that playlist as a M3U file to the sub folder within the music folder on the clipsport.  I then disconect the clipsport from my computer and the playlist there in the playlist menu of the clipsport but it is empty. 

pardon the typo’s the playlist is there in the menu on the clipsport it is just empty.

Everything you described seems good to me except the non-working result.

You can only play a Playlist within the Music Menu access (not within the Folder Menu access).

Each unique Playlist needs to have a unique filename (ending in .m3u).

A few questions and suggestions:

1. Are you using mp3 audio files, or other types?  

Maybe good to start with a few easy mp3 file choices and work up to more challenges later

1. Maybe keep the sub-folder names  and the mp3 filenames to 24 characters or less, and no symbol characters in the names.

2. Maybe you could post a few lines of your test m3u file here in a reply message?

3. Are you using a Mac or a PC ??

OSX produces some quirky challenges for creation of Playlists and everyday mp3 file management.

Everything you described seems good to me (if you are using a Win PC) except the non-working result.

A few questions and suggestions:

1. Are you using mp3 audio files, or other types?

Maybe good to start with a few easy mp3 file choices and work up to more challenges later

1. Maybe keep the sub-folder names and the mp3 filenames to 24 characters or less, and no symbol characters in the names.

2. Maybe you could post a few lines of your test m3u file here in a reply message?

3. Are you using a Mac or a Win PC ??

The VLC method works best using a Win PC. (even better is the software “mp3tag”)

OSX produces some quirky challenges for creation of Playlists and everyday mp3 file management.

I cannot get the VLC method to work using my Mac (OSX 10.10.x).

And my favorite Batch Command Method for Playlists is a challenge using my Mac

(but it can be done using the Wine File Manager)

Okay so this is my first post sorry if I seem slow or confused. So I have an Android phone. I looked up win file explorer and didn’t find it in Google play store. So I got cx file explorer. I did find vlc so I downloaded that. I tried to follow the instructions but got lost at the point of creating sub folder on the SD card. So obviously I stopped there. Can you please help me? My ultimate goal it to play the SD card on a clip sport. Thank yo for any help. Sorry I got lost so quickly. But to be clear. I am doing everything from a phone.

SanDisk players use a micro SD card formatted as FAT32.  When you first insert this card into your player, it will automatically create several primary folders in the “root” directory, including The Music Folder.  

After you inset this micro SD card into your Android Phone, try to copy a folder of mp3 files from your phone into the Music folder   In your SD card.   Then eject the card from your phone and insert it into your Clip Sport.  

Then try to find / play your new mp3 files using two possible methods.

CARD -> Music 

FOLDER -> External Card

None of this will get you to a Playlist, but maybe will accomplish the main goal.