Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Trying to create a playlist without Windows Media Player?

Is it possible to create a playlist without Windows Media Player? I have VideoLan if that's any help...

Here's the issue: I've made the test.m3u file, placed it inside the "Music" folder with the following contents -

#EXTM3U
1\test.mp3

So test.m3u exists in "Music" and "test.mp3" also exists in "Music." However, when I access the "Playlists" menu inside the Sansa player, and then click on the "TEST" playlist, it reads as "EMPTY." Why is this? Is it just that it can't find the MP3 file or have I done something wrong with where I've placed everything?

Any help is appreciated.

SanDisk Professor

Re: Trying to create a playlist without Windows Media Player?

I am having success creating m3u playlists on my Clip Sport with music files arranged in multiple subfolders using VLC Media Player.          

First, I use Win File Explorer to create subfolders on my Clip Sport (internal memory or external card) under Music. Then I copy my selected mp3 files from my HD into the various Music subfolders on my Clip Sport

Then I use VLC Media Player to load the mp3 files on my player into the VLC playlist window.

Then I use "Media -> Save Playlist to file -.> Save as "abc123.m3u" and save the new playlist in any one of the Music subfolders on my player.   Then I can use Music mode or Card mode on my Clip Sport to select the playlist and listen to music files across all the subfolders.

See this link for some helpful screen captures

http://stufinnis.co.uk/vlcplaylist.html

That was *EXACTLY* the kind of response I had been hoping for! (Sorry about the radio silence, btw.)

Your method works perfectly. Thank you so much, DFELD2005!!! Smiley Happy

Oh wow dude, this was so awesome!! I just COULD NOT get a play list on this thing and it was driving me CRAZY!! I just bought it yesterday to replace a 15 year old RCA lyra MP3 player that I use at the gym.  I need playlists so my songs are in order of what I'm doing at the gym (cardio, lifting, sauna) cos who wants to hear Five Finger Death Punch while trying to relax in the sauna, right? LOL! I consider myself somewhat computer/tech savvy and the instructions on the Sandisk website were totally NOT helpful! Thankfully I already had the VLC media player downloaded already and followed your instructions. SUCCESS! I see my 3 different playlists in the Music folder and I'm able to switch between the 3 different 'zones' that I have. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!! I absolutely could not have done this without your instructions and I need this for the gym tomorrow (it's 12:38 am as I'm typing this, lol)   MANY MANY THANKS!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

About a straight forward as a dog’s hind leg.   Why do I need to follow 47 steps to do what should be a simple process?  Every media player out there uses a simple straight forward process to set up a playlist.  With this you set up a play list on one device and pray it works on another.  I followed the instructions in the manual and ended up with an empty play list, two of them really.  Sandisk needs to get their act straight or quit selling crap.

What is more I followed the instructions here worked in the file in the clipsportgo memory everything looked good but when I select the playlist I set up it reads empty.

SanDisk Professor

A few simple suggestions to help get you started:

1. Make sure your Playlist filename has the extender .m3u

2. Use Music play mode (not Folder play mode) to play your Playlist

3. Maybe take a look at my favorite method of creating new Playlists directly on a Clip Sport (and Clip Jam).

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Simple-Batch-File-for-Playlist-of-Genre-Folders/m-p...

Best Wishes

Music play mode?

If by music play mode, working in the music menu, yes that is what I did/do.

Maybe if I explain what I am doing you can point out my error.  I have populated a subfolder under the music folder on the device with the music I want in the test play list.  I open VLC and ppulate a playlist from the files in the subfolder, then save that playlist as a M3U file to the sub folder within the music folder on the clipsport.  I then disconect the clipsport from my computer and the playlist there in the playlist menu of the clipsport but it is empty.