Sansa Clip Sport / does not read FLAC / help

I have 1.43, which I updated to before posting my problem.  I can access the missing flac files using folder mode.  It’s a very cumbersome way to do so, since it doesn’t show the song names, it shows the filenames.  Which totally screws up play sequences if I want to play alphabetically by song title (which I do, since the random function seems to skip a ton of music).

This morning I did some more investigating and discovered that I had all the music in the Music folder on the memory chip, on the Clip which isn’t working properly.  On the Clip which works properly, I have all the files at the root level of the memory chip.  So I cut and pasted all the files to the root directory.  No change in behavior.  If I go to the Card, all I see are the non-FLAC files.  If I go to Folder, I can see all the files.  On the properly working Clip, I can see all the song names if I go to Card.  

I put both players next to each other and went through each and every menu item.  They’re configured exactly the same as far as I can tell.