Sandisk Clip Sport?

@saratoga wrote:
Looks like it comes in 16 GB and maybe has a bigger battery from the leaked amazon product pages. I don’t think they’ve announced it yet though.

I saw that mentioned on the ABI forums but could not find it on the Amazon US pages.

@saratoga wrote:
Looks like it comes in 16 GB and maybe has a bigger battery from the leaked amazon product pages. I don’t think they’ve announced it yet though.

Well looky here:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/music-video-players/clip-sport/

That was not there yesterday.  In the US they won’t be selling a 16GB version it seems.  And most of the links on the product support page don’t work, like the Owner’s manual.  I wonder if it’s the same guts as the Zip but with a bigger screen and just a GUI update for the larger screen.

You might be disappointed if you’re expecting something extra over the Clip Zip. While it does have a larger screen and longer battery life, there are a number of downsides to it as it is meant to fill a particular niche.

• MSC mode only. NO DRM-encrypted files except for Audible.
  • Internal memory and external SD card are NOT combined into 1 database.
  • Only M3U playists are supported (no .pla) and I understand one must jump through even more and specific flaming hoops in order to create  them.

So while it ‘sports’ (pun intended) a lower price point, there are reasons SanDisk can (and is) selling it that way. You don’t get sumpin’ fer nuthin’. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

You might be disappointed if you’re expecting something extra over the Clip Zip. While it does have a larger screen and longer battery life, there are a number of downsides to it as it is meant to fill a particular niche.

• MSC mode only. NO DRM-encrypted files except for Audible.
  • Internal memory and external SD card are NOT combined into 1 database.
  • Only M3U playists are supported (no .pla) and I understand one must jump through even more and specific flaming hoops in order to create  them.

So while it ‘sports’ (pun intended) a lower price point, there are reasons SanDisk can (and is) selling it that way. You don’t get sumpin’ fer nuthin’. :wink:

#2 in your list is one I don’t quite understand; does that mean you have to search the databases seperately?  and where did the info come from?  I didn’t see a user guide posted yet.

Like I said earlier, I didn’t crack the box open yet, I wanted to wait a while to find out some details.  Sounds like I’ll return it in the end and go back with a CZ.

Someone needs to get one of these and open it up. I want to know if its based on the clip or the fuze+ hardware.

In my dealings with Best Buy, no issue with most consumer electronics in opening the box to check them out–typically no restocking fee (unless things have changed) with a return.  And unknown when SanDisk will be releasing info.–this is a new product.  So maybe open the box and become the expert?!?

Don’t count the Clip Sport out–a 25-hour battery is a nice thing, and I understand that the screen is an improvement over the Zip.

@miikerman wrote:

In my dealings with Best Buy, no issue with most consumer electronics in opening the box to check them out–typically no restocking fee (unless things have changed) with a return.  And unknown when SanDisk will be releasing info.–this is a new product.  So maybe open the box and become the expert?!?

Don’t count the Clip Sport out–a 25-hour battery is a nice thing, and I understand that the screen is an improvement over the Zip.

Yeah, I know their return policy but being a ‘good guy’ I don’t want to crack open a box of something I’m not sure I want to keep.

Sandisk put the quick-start manual up today.  Button configuration is definitely different from any Clip product, the power switch is the center button.  Not much info otherwise.

So apparently the 16GB model sold overseas is once again not deemed suitable for US users?  :confounded:

@marvin_martian wrote:

So apparently the 16GB model sold overseas is once again not deemed suitable for US users?  :confounded:

Sorry to hear that. Especially relevant and unfortunate since the 2 memories (internal and card) cannot be combined. :cry:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Sorry to hear that. Especially relevant and unfortunate since the 2 memories (internal and card) cannot be combined. :cry:

Well, I hope that I am proven wrong, and that the 16GB model ends up being offered here.

Although I personally have been content with a 32GB card in a Zip ( I didn’t want to go through the hassle of re-formatting a 64GB card to FAT32) , and even now I only have a 16GB card in mine, there are people that want to carry everything with them, or use FLAC which eats up tons of space. 

Worst case I’m sure you’ll be able to buy the international version off Amazon or Newegg in the US.

The 16GB version will be offered in all regions. The release for the 16GB is still a few months out. It will have the same 4000 folder/file database limit for internal and 4000 folder/file limit for external memory. These databases are not combined and must be accessed separately.

Forum Admin

slotmonsta 

That’s good news, slotmonsta (about the 16GB version’s pending release)! If one exceeds the file/folder database limit, I assume they can still bypass the database and navigate to their full song collection through the folder browser, yes?

No, as far as the development team has specified the database limit is the limit of songs that can be displayed in any menu. 

Ah. Okay then. Another reason to cross my fingers for eventual Rockbox development. :wink:

Aak!  Did they drop the microphone?

The product information doesn’t have the word “microphone” anywhere!

I was figuring I would by the 16GB as soon as I could, go from 72 to 80GB effective, and 96x96 to 128x128 …

… But none of that is worth losing the microphone, to me!

Can someone confirm?  Does this have the mic the way the plus and zip do?

???

This player is built and marketed toward a very specific niche market so some features were dropped. The microphone I believe, was one of them.

I don’t know of anybody really wanting to record their heavy breathing while running, or grunts of pain and exertion while working out in the gym. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well… The whole targeting thing…

128x128, longer battery life, 16GB - those are NOT sports-specific features.

So, unless there is also going to be a “non-sport sport”…

Anyway, I’m disappointed in that one.

@toehser wrote:

There is. It’s called the Clip Zip.

@tapeworm wrote:

@toehser wrote:

There is. It’s called the Clip Zip.

But, that’s without a 25-hour battery and improved screen . . . .