SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.39 released

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.39 Download and Installation instructions

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.39 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.39".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

New changes since 1.38

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed aac total time display wrong issue
• Fixed the long duration m4a file playback
• FM frequency jumps below the standard FM lower frequency range once all channels are deleted from a FULL preset list

New changes since 1.36

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed issue where the end of Audible Enhanced Format (.aax) files were cut off
• Fixed Fast Forward and rewind issue with .aac file

New changes since 1.29

Enhancements:

• Improved GUI translations

New changes since 1.27

Bugs Fixed:
•Fixed issue where the Clip Sport is not detected by Audible manager

New changes since 1.22

Bugs Fixed:
• Improved sorting spec for Audiobooks and podcasts. Track number sorting is now supported
• Fixed OGG file playback and “File format can’t support” issue

Enhancements:

• Improved Compatibility with some micro-SD cards (Fix the 24MHz Clock in High Speed Mode)

New changes since 1.17

Bugs Fixed:
• Fixed playback issue of some FLAC and OGG Vorbis files 

New changes since 1.09

Enhancements:
• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
• Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags

Bugs Fixed:
• Notification translations and clarity improved
• Shuffle algorithm improved
• Battery notifications added

Design Limitations:
• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory
• Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

I’ve had my SanDisk Sport for quite awhile now.  It’s been working fine for my needs and running version 1.09.  Is there really any need to upgrade the firmware (given some of the problems I’ve read from others)?  And where is the root?  System/Format?  And if I do have problems, will System/Restore bring it back to v1.09?

I think one feature added since Firmware 1.09 that you could appreciate is the “Key Lock” .

• (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)

Here is a link to the Sandisk Customer Care website with detailed instructions for updating the Firmware on the Clip Sport.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15598/~/sandisk-clip-sport-firmware-1.39-download-and-installation-instructions

I am not aware of a SanDisk archive of retired Firmware files. So maybe there would not be a way for you to return to your current Firmware 1.09. “System Restore” will reset all user settings to the default for the currently installed Firmware.

If you are not convinced about newer Firmwares and you are a satisfied user now, maybe best to take a pass.

(I have stayed with beta FW 1.28; withdrawn by SanDisk in Jan 2016.)

1 Like

Of course it is one of those “if it ain’t broke…” things.  And of course, don’t look for the root ON the SanDisk… duh.  This all started because I was wondering if I could put in a 64G SDcard and ended up looking at upgrading the firmware.  I think I’ll stick with the 32G and the old firmware for now.  Thank you for your prompt response!  

A feature I would like to see in the 1.40 firmware is the ability to change the volume setting of the lowest sound volume (1/2 of the leftmost triangle). Why you may ask does he request such a thing?

The answer is simple: sometimes I like to listen to music while falling asleep. That music makes me so tired and feel warm and comfortable. 

On other devices, I then decrease the volume step by step, because my ears get more sensitive. Unfortunately, the stepping of volume on the ClipSport is optimized for outdoor activity, thus very loud (or I’ve got just very sensitive ears :)).

You could just define somewhat like sound profiles, so e.g. an outdoor profile (the standard profile like it is now) and a profile for quieter surroundings with decreased volume setting.

The difference between inventing and soldering a device you plug between the Clip Sport and a software solution included in the next firmware is simple: the guys at SanDisk get paid for their work and while I would only built it for me, the implementation into the firmware would allow many more users to get lower volume settings.

1 Like

I discovered a file that slows down the ui severely, and with EQ enabled it causes sound jitter and playback slowdowns. Is this a problem with ogg decoding or something else entirely?https://soundcloud.com/djdgreen/rage - it has to be fetched with youtube-dl to replicate (no transcoding). Anyone else can confirm this?

I have version 1.38 so I take we still don’t have a clock on the main screen? For a device with the name sport it sure make it difficult to get the time when you are doing some exercise