SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.36 released

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.36 Download and Installation instructions

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.36 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.36".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

New changes since 1.29

Enhancements:

• Improved GUI translations

New changes since 1.27

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed issue where the Clip Sport is not detected by Audible manager

New changes since 1.22

Bugs Fixed:
• Improved sorting spec for Audiobooks and podcasts. Track number sorting is now supported
• Fixed OGG file playback and “File format can’t support” issue

Enhancements:

• Improved Compatibility with some micro-SD cards (Fix the 24MHz Clock in High Speed Mode)

New changes since 1.17

Bugs Fixed:
• Fixed playback issue of some FLAC and OGG Vorbis files 

New changes since 1.09

Enhancements:
• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
• Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags

Bugs Fixed:
• Notification translations and clarity improved
• Shuffle algorithm improved
• Battery notifications added

Design Limitations:
• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory
• Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

It would have been helpful to know that the file must be called “upgrade.hex” and not anything else. I renamed it when I downloaded it - needless to say, that didn’t work when I copied it to my device.

Well, now you know–thanks for letting others know.  ;)   I guess it wouldn’t have occurred to me to re-name an operations file.

The instructions clearly state:

_ Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer. _

Why on earth anyone would come here to post, “it would have been nice to know I shouldn’t rename the file so it will work”, is beyond me.  If you don’t know what you are doing with a device you are urged to get help from someone who does or use the auto update instead of manually installing it.

1 Like

Pressing the power button does cycle through the readio. However, it will cycle through any tunable station. I just want to cycle through my “favourites” or “presets”. This could be corrected through firmware release.

As for the second issue of having to charge when you simply want to edit or download to library: I notice that once you plug in the clip, there is a message screen. Possible it could contain a selection option of “Charge Now” or " File transfer". This feature could aslo be handled through a firmware release.

Topic:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Feature-s-Q-amp-A/td-p/356159

kid

@kidknicky wrote:

Pressing the power button does cycle through the readio. However, it will cycle through any tunable station. I just want to cycle through my “favourites” or “presets”. This could be corrected through firmware release.

As for the second issue of having to charge when you simply want to edit or download to library: I notice that once you plug in the clip, there is a message screen. Possible it could contain a selection option of “Charge Now” or " File transfer". This feature could aslo be handled through a firmware release.

Topic:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Feature-s-Q-amp-A/td-p/356159

kid

As to your second issue and as I responded to you elsewhere, I just don’t see the downside if the player charges while you transfer files (which is a short time, anyway)–I would think that this is beneficial.

Well, it didn’t say “don’t rename” and I prefer not to have unidentifiable files sitting on my hard drive. So I renamed it, keeping the .hex extension.

@stevenhb wrote:

Well, it didn’t say “don’t rename” and I prefer not to have unidentifiable files sitting on my hard drive. So I renamed it, keeping the .hex extension.

Well, now we know not to do that . . . .  Instead, put the file in a folder of your naming choice.

There are three things that bug me about the Sport compared to the Clip+ and ClipZip. The first is that the Clip sport is not Rockboxable.

The second is that card memory isn’t integrated in the same database as main memory, and that the database is limited to 2,000 songs for each. There was a beta firmware for the Sport that had a 4,000 song database limit, however I see Sandisk no longer posts it. Was it very buggy? If not, why doesn’t Sandisk have this posted. 

The third thing that bugs me about the Sport is the inability to add an album at a time to a playlist on the player. Having this would make the player so much more convenient for me when I go for long walks. This seems like it should be easy enough to implement in the drop down menu, having an add album containing this song to the GoList as the item below add song to the Golist.

@jk98 wrote:

There are three things that bug me about the Sport compared to the Clip+ and ClipZip. . . .

The second is that card memory isn’t integrated in the same database as main memory, and that the database is limited to 2,000 songs for each. There was a beta firmware for the Sport that had a 4,000 song database limit, however I see Sandisk no longer posts it. Was it very buggy? If not, why doesn’t Sandisk have this posted.

My guess is, SanDisk didn’t like the trade-offs for the larger database:  if I recall correctly, the more limited number of characters recognized in titles, and the elimination of the Genre category in the database.  And my further guess is, SanDisk didn’t want to have 2 competing official firmware versions out there.

Having said that, the beta version of that firmware version still is available, at the Clip Sport forum at the anythingbutipod.com website forum, and from other users.    ;)   It seems to work just fine, keeping the above limitations in mind.

I have just purchased the Clip Sport without realising these two important features were absent.  They were present in my old Clip Zip so I assumed they would be in the Sport as well.  This is an absolute deal-breaker for me.  My most common use of the player is to punch in 5 or 6 albums into the playlist as I’m walking to my rig for the journey ahead.  I cannot believe that I am expected to go through a list of 80 to 100 songs and select them one by one.  I’ll be hunting down a second hand Zip or some alternate player if this can’t be sorted.

We all agree that the GoList feature would be better if there were more options like the (add Album) idea you suggested.

After using my Clip Sport for more than 1 year, I find that it is easy to construct new or modified Playlists at the time I add (and delete) audio albums on my player. The easiest software I have found for making playlists is Mp3tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

@dfeld2005 wrote:

We all agree that the GoList feature would be better if there were more options like the (add Album) idea you suggested.

After using my Clip Sport for more than 1 year, I find that it is easy to construct new or modified Playlists at the time I add (and delete) audio albums on my player. The easiest software I have found for making playlists is Mp3tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

agreed…

basically you need to outsource that feature as this cheap ass player is not even up to this basic function

I’m probably just old, but I’m not sure where this root directory is.  I’m using a  windows computer and when I plug in the mp3 player it doesn’t list a root directory folder.  If you could give me a hand I’d appreciate it

I must be getting a little old cause I am not finding the root directory.  I’m using the windows 10 file directory.  If someone could give me the heads up, I’d appreciate it.

Here is a screen capture of the root directory (Drive E) of my Clip Sport.

I use Win 10 “File Explorer” to view and manage files on my Clip Sport and the micro SD card (Drive F).

Clip Sport Root.JPG

I wonder if some people are looking for a folder with the name 'Root".

I remember when computer instructions said press any key. People called support to say there is no key on their keyboard marked ANY. 

When I add the hex file to the root directory and disconnect from my mac I get “file open error” every time.

Any thoughts?

When I add the hex file to the root directory and disconnect from my Mac I get ‘file open error’ message every time.

Any ideas?