SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.29 released

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.29 Download and Installation instructions

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.29 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.29 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater
For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to “Settings” >“System Settings”> “Info”, and verify the “Version” is now 1.29".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

New changes since 1.27

Bugs Fixed:

• Fixed issue where the Clip Sport is not detected by Audible manager

New changes since 1.22

Bugs Fixed:
• Improved sorting spec for Audiobooks and podcasts. Track number sorting is now supported
• Fixed OGG file playback and “File format can’t support” issue

Enhancements:

• Improved Compatibility with some micro-SD cards (Fix the 24MHz Clock in High Speed Mode)

New changes since 1.17

Bugs Fixed:
• Fixed playback issue of some FLAC and OGG Vorbis files 

New changes since 1.09

Enhancements:
• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
• Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags

Bugs Fixed:
• Notification translations and clarity improved
• Shuffle algorithm improved
• Battery notifications added

Design Limitations:
• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory
• Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

1 Like

I don’t see any mention that since 1.17, the new firmware 1.29 has increased the object limit from 2000 to 4000 (per memory area, i.e. 4000 internal memory + 4000 external memory)

the database was not increased to 4000. 1.28 was a beta FW and the beta is now closed. The file limit was not increased in 1.29. 

The earlier beta software can be found though alternate sources, such as the anythingbutipod.com SanDisk players forum.   :slight_smile:

Still no fix for Audible enhanced format books cutting off 2+ minutes early.

Will this ever get remedied?

You may find useful advice in the string of comments in this SanDisk Forum link.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Audible-playback-Issues/td-p/339899

I think the comments from “MasterJoop” appear to be helpful. Maybe look for other postings from this user.

I know if I use format 4 I won’t have the problem, except I like the enhanced audio better and I like to have the books in one file per.

I have no idea why this is such a problem for them.

ogg cover picture tag? rename playlist *.pl?

All,  I’m trying to install RockBox and it needs the firmware in a .bin file.  Where can I install that from?  Thanks for the help.

Be careful before adding “bin” files to your Clip Sport.

From everything I have read across this SanDisk User Forum, the Clip Sport (and Clip Jam) do not support Rockbox.

For example, read the discussion from user JK98 at this link:

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Clip-Sport-or-Sanza-Clip/m-p/333577#M1222

1 Like

As far as I am aware, Rockbox does not support the Sport.  But if you are aware otherwise, please let us know!

@helotbc wrote:

All,  I’m trying to install RockBox and it needs the firmware in a .bin file.  Where can I install that from?  Thanks for the help.

As far as I am aware, Rockbox does not support the Sport (it does support the original Clip and the Clip+).  But if you are aware otherwise, please let us know!

1 Like

Hello, the post says the design limitations is a maximum database size supported of 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory, does that mean I can store up to 4000 objects?

Are there any plans on making the database size any bigger? If so, when?

SanDisk released a beta Firmware version 1.28 that was available during Sept 2015 - Jan 2016.

This FW allowed for 4000 objects in the internal memory databases and in the external micro SD card databases.

The extra database capacity was created by reducing the number of displayed and sorted objects by the player.

Apparently the SanDisk programmers withdrew the beta Firmware due to the accumulating number of complaints from users.

Firmware 1.29  reverted to the 2000 object capacity; the same as FW 1.27

And if I recall correctly, the limits are as to the use of the player’s database–files still may be accessed and played through the player’s folder selection function.

And if I recall correctly, the limits are as to the use of the player’s database–all files, including “excess” files, still may be accessed and played through the player’s folder selection function.

I’ve been unable to find the 1.28 beta firmware, there’s a link at anythingbutipod but confirmation email is never sent. Is there any active link? I’d have no problem on having the issues generated by that version.

I read there’s a workaround for the 2000 file limit involving folders in the file structure of the external but I don’t understand it. I understand that no matter how many files I have on the SD, even more than 2000, I will be able to access them via folder browsing in the clip sport, so how exactly is the 2000 file restriction? Will I have that restriction if I put all my files in a single folder? Will I have the same problem if I distribute them in several folders? Do playlist solve anything? Someone mentioned he was able to display 4800 (I think) songs by creating playlists but the setps to it weren’t specified.

I’ve been unable to find the 1.28 beta firmware, there’s a link at anythingbutipod but confirmation email is never sent. Is there any active link? I’d have no problem on having the issues generated by that version

-> I sent you a personal message with my offer to email you the beta FW 1.28. Other members here will do the same.

I understand that no matter how many files I have on the SD, even more than 2000, I will be able to access them via folder browsing in the clip sport,

-> You are correct.

So how exactly is the 2000 file restriction?

-> The CARD MODE uses the database method for sorting and displaying up to 2000 objects in the micro SD card.

-> The database method uses the information in the ID3 tags in your audio files

Will I have that restriction if I put all my files in a single folder? Will I have the same problem if I distribute them in several folders? 

-> The CARD MODE does not rely on folder distributions of audio files.

-> But you should put music folders and files under MUSIC and audiobook folders and files under AUDIOBOOKS, etc

Do playlist solve anything?  Someone mentioned he was able to display 4800 (I think) songs by creating playlists but the setps to it weren’t specified.

-> Maybe this idea could work but it may require a lot of work to set up and curate.

Maybe you could try playing around with FOLDER MODE and see if you can tolerate the various issues of nonlinear folder and file sorting using this method.  The SanDisk User Forum has a wealth of information and several guru level members who can provide additional assistance.

The file number limit applies to the database method of selecting your music:  using the album, artist, and title listings on the player.  (The limit relates to the amount of data that the database can hold, and that then becomes available for you to choose, to play a file.)  The limit does not relate to the number of files that the player can hold, and that then can be chosen for play under the folder and file navigation/selection method (just like on your PC). 

Oh, and to “fix” the non-alpha listing of files under the folder navigation method:

The explanation:  the player simply keeps a list of when files were added to it, and displays that same list, in that date order, under the folder navigation method.

The “fix,” to get a more helpful alpha ordering:  after adding new files to the player and while still connected to you PC, run any of a number of file sorting programs, which will place all the files in alpha order.  Often recommended:  FAT Sorter.  http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/FAT-Sorter.shtml. While it’s a shame that the player does not take care of this automatically, at least the program is a quick run.