SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.27 released

Or simply use the official SanDisk link to the firmware file, in the post directly above the above-quoted post.  Can never be too safe nowadays . . . .

Seems to work fine so far, shuffle play included.

" Improved Compatibility with some micro-SD cards (Fix the 24MHz Clock in High Speed Mode)"

What does this mean??? Does it mean that class 10 Sandisk micro SDHC cards will now be supported without issues? It is annoying having to buy class 4 cards for the player which not only load much slower than class 10 ones, but are now often more expensive than class 10 cards. I am wondering if the availability of class 4 cards will start diminishing. It would be nice if micro SDXC support is added, so the cards don’t need to be formatted as FAT32, and the class 10 speed doesn’t cause issues. 

Will any effort be made to try to enlarge the maximum size of the card database, or to include an option so that one could have a 4,000 song database limit for card memory, even if it means sacrificing the internal memory database?

This update seems to have fixed the Audible audiobook resume feature. After the previous update, 1.22, an audiobook would not resume when the player was turned off and on again. Now it resumes the book when the player is turned back on, just as it did when new out of the box. Very happy to have this bug fixed.

I’ve had a chance to confirm that this update also fixes the ordering problem for MP3 audiobooks from Overdrive. The parts of the book now sort correctly in order by file name. The books also resume where left off when the player is turned back on. Big improvement over the previous firmware!

My firmware updater software notified me that an update was available, so I updated it. The software said the update was complete and that I should disconnect my Sansa Sport to complete the udpate. So I did. Now the Sport just says “transferring”. Can’t connect it to my computer, can’t charge it, can’t do anything with the buttons. What do I do?

Press and hold the center select button until the player turns off then turn it back on and try again. 

It is absolutely astonishing how long it has taken to ‘restore’ the “Track number order” play functionality, given that it is the DEFAULT mode for most other device in market (including earlier SanDisk efforts).:dizzy_face:

The most annoying (or STILL missing) features are:

• Proper display of album art image s, not randomly shrunk (too small) or blank (can’t display);
  • Display of clock (given that you CAN set the date/time);
  • Not having the ‘Back’ button go back TOO far , but just to previous screen.

NOTE: If they don’t know how to fix/add these features, PLEASE just ask this forum.:neutral_face:

These are ALL obvious, and have been asked (or clamoured) for ever since device was released.:angry:

Also can confirm that it is doing sorting correctly with and without the track number. :smiley: WIth the SD card as welll as it would sometimes get jumbled up but would sort if did a long reset but now this isn’t happening. At least now I don’t have to take out the track #'s now to get it to sort numerically and alphabetically.

I do like the longer batterly life and the better build then the zip. So now I mostly have what I need for this player.

Only issue I have now is (which I know is going to change) is the delay for pausing which in most situations it isn’t a big deal but when listening to a language podcast and want to pause before I hear the answer it is an issue and have to us my zip for this. Similar the fact the rewind is less exact to just go back one phrase. Which to have a player that is little more exacting for something you are studying (more of an indoor player) would be nice. But whatever. I suspect not going to happen and don’t need a sport player or a clip player for this.

Very, very disappointed at the loss of Genre sorting.  This is ESSENTIAL for all real music lovers. I have Classical (for which I set composer as Artist and work as Album), Jazz and Rock music on cards and the main disk.  Being able to switch easily between these is important to me.
Sadly, I damaged my wonderful little Zip 4gB, so had to buy a new model, and now I find we’ve gone backwards technologically ~ it even truncates the names of albums, artists and tracks, which it didn’t before!
New firmware and new machines are supposed to improve things for the user, surely?

And this nannying nonsense about volume means some of the music is inaudible (real music has a large dynamic range) half the time.  My ears are my responsibility, not yours.
Wish I hadn’t bought a Sansa now!  Waste of cash.

@dailowe wrote:

New firmware and new machines are supposed to improve things for the user, surely?

Only if they are designed that way. Which the Clip Sport & Jam were not. They are limtied function/featured players offered at a lower price.

@dailowe wrote:

And this nannying nonsense about volume means some of the music is inaudible (real music has a large dynamic range) half the time.  My ears are my responsibility, not yours.

You must live in some part of Europe. Tell this to your gov’t. leaders/officials; it’s THEIR idea and restriction, NOT SanDisk’s. They are only complying with the law so that they can sell products there. Fortunately, there is a work-around. With some brands of mp3/audio devices there is not.

My Zip was cheaper than my Sport.  Were it still available in the price range, I’d have got a new one of those.  Then again, if I hadn’t squashed it, I wouldn’t need to.

But I was just coming here to say, after a little research, I now know the silly volume issues are an EU nanny state thing and to apologise for blaming SanDisk.  I’m all for it warning me, but not forcing restrictions.   It now thinks I’m in America!

I still don’t think ading the genre, functionality already engineered and easy, would be rocket science, it feels more like a spiteful omission.

The omission of the genre tag support seems to be an effort to maximize the number of songs that can be in the song database. If the choice was for example to have a 1500 song database limit and support the genre tag, or 2,000 song limit and no genre tag support, most would choose to eliminate the genre tag support. 

@jk98 wrote:

The omission of the genre tag support seems to be an effort to maximize the number of songs that can be in the song database. If the choice was for example to have a 1500 song database limit and support the genre tag, or 2,000 song limit and no genre tag support, most would choose to eliminate the genre tag support. 

That indeed was the case.  Unfortunate subsequent generation hardware engineering, sadly.

@dailowe wrote:

It now thinks I’m in America!

Well, it could be worse.    :wink:

It now thinks I’m in America!

Well, it could be worse.    :wink:

I don’t care what it thinks. I live in the rest of the world.

It still is playing my Audible audibooks out of order. It will play Part 4 of a book before it will play Part 2. I tried to get around this by creating an .m3u playlist under the Music folder, but sometimes that doesn’t even work. When the player gets to part 2 on the playlist, it just plays part 1. It will play part 1 of the audiobook no matter what part I select when I select from the playlist. I think this might simply be due to the fact that the Clip Sport truncates long filenames. Is there any plan to fix this in the future with a later firmware? My Sansa E250 from 2007 did not have this problem.

Still the 2000 songs limitations, then I’ll stay to my 1.09 firmware.
I bought it in China and I suffer the stupid EU laws. This is the last time I buy SanDisk

Here is a link to a long discussion of Firmware version 1.28. This recent version increases the song limit to 4000 files. The internal memory and external micro sd card now each have a 4000 file limit for the Music playback mode. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Clip-Sport-FW-1-28-4K-database-Beta/td-p/342560

You can use Folder playback mode to access more than 4000 files if you use a 32 gb micro sd card. 

I don’t understand why they would take away “Genre” sorting. This is a must for any MP3 player. If i’m in the mood to listen to a certain type of music, I would like the ability to switch quickly instead of having to scroll though hundreds of artist/songs. Guess I will be returning this player. Definitely a downgrade from the previous clips, which all had Genre sorting.