Administrator

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.22 released

[ Edited ]
Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.22 Download and Installation instructions

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.22 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.22 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater
For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full.
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer.
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin.
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off.
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference
• Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" >"System Settings"> "Info", and verify the "Version" is now 1.22".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

New changes since 1.17

Bugs Fixed:
• Fixed playback issue of some FLAC and OGG Vorbis files 

New changes since 1.09

Enhancements:
• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
• Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags

Bugs Fixed:
• Notification translations and clarity improved
• Shuffle algorithm improved
• Battery notifications added

Design Limitations:
• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 objects for external memory
• Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

SanDisk User

Re: SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.22 released

Is there any furhter detail on other fixes / changes in v1.22?

Or is that it?

I will test this, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

SanDisk Guru

Generally speaking, Release Notes such as those above list the changes--that's the purpose.  But perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised . . . .

No alarms and...no surprises

SanDisk User

is this changelog a joke? Seriously, Sandisk, is that what we've been waiting for for over half a year (since last f/w update)?

SanDisk User

Well, the RDS PS is being displayed again which is kind of nice. To bad that the FM tuner in the Clip Sport is so poor compared to Clip+/Zip. Where the other two has good stereo reception the sport is playing mostly static or poor mono (same headphones used).

The one thing I really can't understand tough is why the file sorting issues still exists. How hard can it be to get this right? Clip+/Zip are sorting files without any of the tiresome workarounds needed for the Clip Sport and I think it's hard to blame the hardware alone for this deficiency.

Very happy with the design, battery life and sound quality though!

SanDisk User

The track sorting / memory constraints issue on the Clip Sport firmware is actually an own goal. State this as a feature, when marketing the device. Then fail miserably when attempting to execute.

I looked into how to fix this, before realising it does NOT need to be a feature anyway.

Nobody actaully needs all track and album names to be loaded into memory, and 'sorted'. This will ONLY provide support for being able to scroll through a list is ALL tracks ALPHABETICALLY listed. I have only ever used that feature rarely, on a desktop PC, to find obscure B-tracks in my vast collection. It is not of any value on the Clip Sport, which wont even store ALL my music.

My priorities, which I'm sure are not unique, are:

• List (and play) album tracks, in track-order;
  • List albums (by artist), by date/year order (then alphabetically);
  • List ALL albums alphabetically;
  • Provide random play for album, artist, genre, or ALL.

Points for achieving: 40, 30, 20, and 10 (%)

Current score (firmware: v1.22): 15% (FAIL, incomplete on 3rd and 4th)

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@robert_a wrote:

Well, the RDS PS is being displayed again which is kind of nice. To bad that the FM tuner in the Clip Sport is so poor compared to Clip+/Zip. Where the other two has good stereo reception the sport is playing mostly static or poor mono (same headphones used).

The one thing I really can't understand tough is why the file sorting issues still exists. How hard can it be to get this right? Clip+/Zip are sorting files without any of the tiresome workarounds needed for the Clip Sport and I think it's hard to blame the hardware alone for this deficiency.

Very happy with the design, battery life and sound quality though!

Unfortunately, I think that the more limited hardware can explain a great deal . . . .

SanDisk Guru

@robert_a wrote:

I think the firmware on the older devices was made by Sandisk, whereas the new one was probably made by the company that designed the hardware, so a lot of features that were in the old player's firmware were probably never implemented in the new one.  

SanDisk User

@Miikerman wrote:

Unfortunately, I think that the more limited hardware can explain a great deal . . . .

True and I'm aware of that the SoC used has very little memory but a good and optimized firmware should be able to compensate this to some extent. Perhaps the problem is that this little device is trying to be something it isn't and therefore fails all together. Quite sad even if I must confess I still like it...