SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 released

Piece of ■■■■.

Lost over 700 songs with the 1.17 firmware update.  4,000 items per location (internal/external) gets improved by reducing it to 2,000?  In what bizaro world is that an improvement?

After mistakenly updating, everytime I unplug it from the computer it “Refreshes media” even if all you were doing was charging.  It then asks for your language, wipes your radio presets etc. Format on the device… doesn’t fix.  Format on the computer… nope.  On/off, On/off, again, again, again, format, on/off.  Finally stops resetting itself. Uggg…

The 1.17 update hacks on a ‘lock button’ (kinda important in a ‘sports’ mp3 player), and fixes the ‘it can’t play an album in order’ bug. But then it cuts the number of songs you can load by more than half.  Truncates names (albums, artists, songs), when I say truncate I mean truncate.  It shows a partial name, and then a few moments later it scrolls… nothing.  Example: Album “Bomb in a Birdcage”, listed as “Bomb in a Bi” which scrolls by, Bi then nothing…

The things wrong with this player are legend (and don’t give me the 'it’s more like an iPod Shuffle nonsense).

• No Lock button
  • Can’t play albums in the correct order.
  • No Unified music access ( the ‘music’ function should play ALL the music regardless of where it resides)
  • No way to navigate from music to radio without losing your place (if you are playing song 3 of album X and listen to the radio, or heaven forbid use the silly stop watch, it forgets what you were doing when you go back to listening to music).
  • No way to tell how charged it is while charging (you have text telling you that it’s charging, but instead of the battery icon showing you how charged it is, it displays a redundant animation).
  • Artificial item limit.  For a device that support a 32GB microSD card, 2,000 items (was 4,000)?  Really?
  • Date/Time setting that serve no purpose.  It asks you for the date and time and then never displays them again.
  • Books??  Have you seen the low resolution on this device?  You can barely make out the album cover art.  Who expects that anyone is going to be reading books on this thing?

What this device should have been is the Zip Clip+ with a larger display for album art and if you really felt the need the silly stop watch (I guess to justify calling it Sport).

Instead we get a device that functions worse than many noname Chinese Mp3 players (at many times the price).  The 1.17 update tries to fix the first two, doesn’t address the other issues and introduces new bugs.  This update actually manages to add a 2, 000 item limit!@#$!.  4,000 items were cramped enough (I was nearing that on a 16GB card).

SanDisk should post the original firmware so those of us can at least get back to what we had, and at the same time work on releasing an update that actually fixes the items listed above (without breaking things or adding new limitations).