Administrator

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 released

[ Edited ]

Firmware is the software code that powers your Clip Sport. You can think of it as the operating system.  SanDisk actively and periodically updates the capabilities, functionality, and reliability of the Firmware.  For an optimal experience with your Clip Sport, SanDisk recommends that you update your Firmware with each new release.  It’s fast, easy, and free!

Notice for users that Previously upgraded to Firmware Version 1.18

We have found a potential issue where a small number of Clip Sport devices may freeze on the SanDisk Screen after updating to FW version 1.18. While we investigate this issue we have decided to remove FW 1.18. If you have previously upgraded successfully to FW 1.18 you will not be affected by this issue and you can continue using FW 1.18.

SanDisk has released firmware version 1.17 for the SanDisk Clip Sport. Download links and the release notes are available below.

SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 Download and Installation instructions

Update using the Sansa Firmware Updater
For Sansa Firmware Updater - Click here to download 

Manual Firmware Update (Download and Instructions)
Manual Firmware Update (All Regions) - Click here to download
All languages are now in one firmware version. After firmware update you will need to select your Language and Region preference.

• Remove any external card from the Clip Sport before performing firmware update
• Ensure your battery is > 50% full. 
• Plug in your SanDisk Clip Sport to your computer. 
• Download and save the upgrade.hex file linked above to folder on your computer.
• Drag the file to the root directory of your SanDisk Clip Sport
• Disconnect the SanDisk Clip Sport and let the firmware update begin. 
• Once it finally finishes doing its update, it will turn itself off. 
• Turn the Clip Sport on, Select your language and region preference 
• Once its back to the main menu, head to "Settings" >"System Settings"> "Info", and verify the "Version" is now 1.17".

SanDisk Clip Sport Release notes

This new firmware has various enhancements and bug fixes, including key fixes listed below. Upon completion of the firmware upgrade, the device will turn off; power on the device to complete the upgrade process.  If the device does not initiate or complete, press & hold the Power switch for 15 seconds to reset the device and then press and hold power button again for 1 second to restart

Enhancements:

• Added Key Lock (Press and Hold Back Button for 2 seconds to enable Key lock, Press and hold back button 2 seconds to disable Key lock)
  • Added Track number sorting using ID3 tags. Songs will now play in album order by ID3 tag track number if available. 

Bugs Fixed:

• Notification translations and clarity improved
  • Shuffle algorithm improved
  • Battery notifications added
  • ID3 Tags for FLAC now recognized

Design Limitations:

• Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 object for external memory
  • Sorting tracks by Genre is no longer available

Re: SanDisk Clip Sport Firmware 1.17 released

Great, it seems all my major problems have been fixed:

• Flac Tags are recognized
  • The tracks are played in the correct order

Thanks !

Ciao,

LoneCat

Highlighted

Great, now we have a lock-feature. Thanx!

SanDisk User

This was a big improvement. Only thing left I would like is to have a "play all" button and this would be my favorite mp3 player. Maybe next firmware update if they do one?

[ Edited ]

• "Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 object for external memory"

Is this really the case? 4000 was bad enough but 2000 is ridiculous! Or does this mean that the internal and external memories are now merged together?

SanDisk Guru

@davide37 wrote:

• "Maximum database size supported is now 2000 objects for internal memory and 2000 object for external memory"

Is this really the case? 4000 was bad enough but 2000 is ridiculous! Or does this mean that the internal and external memories are now merged together?

Yes.

I agree.

Sadly, no.

So, just 2000 files on the external card. I've got the max of 4000 on a 64Gb. SanDisk really have lost the plot big time. I definitely won't be updating the firmware.

absolute joke

!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT UPDATE YOUR DEVICE WITHOUT FIRST CONSIDERING IF A MEASLEY 2000 FILES IS ENOUGH STORAGE FOR YOU (THIS INCLUDES FOLDERS AS WELL) !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely this takes away the point of the SD card (With the current 2000 limit thats roughly 8gb of good quality mp3)

I will not be updating and will most likely be purchasing an alternative player as this device is unusable for sports due to the lack of a lock button without such a heavy restriction on storage.

Sansa YOU HAVE LOST YOUR WAY! PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!

SanDisk Guru

As to the 2000 + 2000 limit:

The issue is, given what the Sport is, no one should be thinking of it as the successor to the Clip Zip (although it is understandable that one would think that).  One needs to change one's thinking and think of the Sport along the lines of an iPod Shuffle, an alternate, left-turn of a player for specific, more limited uses (and well beyond a Shuffle, including with the 2000 + 2000 limit).

I think that much of the confusion stems from the fact that with tech. advances, people also and still would like to see advances in the Clip line.  It would be nice to see SanDisk step up to the plate.     

SanDisk Guru

@sansashame wrote:

I will not be updating and will most likely be purchasing an alternative player as this device is unusable for sports due to the lack of a lock button without such a heavy restriction on storage.

Why the screaming?  Simply go to Amazon.com and purchase a Clip+ or Clip Zip, which meets your needs in both areas.  And then leave the Sport for those with lesser needs or needs for a longer-lasting battery. 

This really does seem to be an issue of expectations:  people expecting (myself included) that a new Clip will be an advance in the line rather than an "alternate use" player (which, personally, I don't see a use for, given what the earlier Clips already offer).