SONG LOADING FRUSTRATION!

So I have crossed to the other sideof MP3 players after ten years. 

So frustrated with song loading onto card memory. Running v1.22. Have Sandisk 32gb card recognised by Clip Sport and PC. Windows Explorer allows song file loading to “removeable disk” BUT songs do not show up in folder nor do they show up in Clip Sport “Music” or in “External Card/Music”.  Reformatted disk (card) and other measures am glad I didn’t waste money on a bigger card.

Help please?

Thanks 

What file format are the songs in? Is it a supported format?

Do the files have ID3 tags? Are they of the proper format so the palyer can read them (ID3v2.3 ISO 8850-1)?

Just a side note, the Sport has a rather low database limitation of (+/-) 2000 tracks, and the internal and external memories are not combined (2000 - int, 2000 card), so anything larger than 32GB would be a waste of money anyway. In fact, 32GB is even overkill; you would not be able to utilize all that space. An 8GB card would probably be more appropriate.

Thanks.

Not good news. I bought it on the strength of reviews which said the the memory could be increased up to 128gb. Obviously BS and hype. 8Gb (4000 songs) is little more than a toy, most phones have more.

Back to loading, the files are in Mp3 format so I don’t understand what the issue is.

After the frustration of a failing iPod even more now shows I made the wrong product choice to switch to :( 

So I guess this is an illustration of you get what you pay for, with product and support. Can anyone suggest a suitable replacement for a IPod Classic/Sandisk Sport but with decent memory size please?

If you can manage without the database: In folder mode there’s no file limitation. So could use a fully loaded 128 GB card with 10,000 or more songs and play them all. the same in playlists. Just not by database filter criteria.

If you can manage without the database: In folder mode there’s no file limitation. So could use a fully loaded 128 GB card with 10,000 or more songs and play them all. The same in playlists. Just not by database filter criteria.

Thanks JaZZ. Do you mean just 10k titles in alphabetical or random order or would I have albums too?

Or, another alternative:  pick up a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip (both still available, including at the SanDisk online Store).  And then you also can add the alternative Rockbox firmware (rockbox.org) which eliminates the additional database limitations in those players, as/if needed. 

the files view does not read the ID3 tag it sorts based off the FAT. you would need your files organized by folder like in Windows explorer.

IIRC the only draw back to the files view is that after you have added files and the list is built for the first time if you add new files they are only appended to the end of the list. Any new files would not show in alphabetical order. If you wanted to add new files and get them all to show in alphabetical order you would have to erase and reload all the content. 

@tunedude wrote:

Thanks JaZZ. Do you mean just 10k titles in alphabetical or random order or would I have albums too?

You can still organize your music collection in a folder structure. The downside is that the shuffle mode only plays the files in the selected folder. Since I’m a shuffle player, I have put all my music files in the «Music» folder without any subfolders as a workaround in one of my two Sports. The downside of this solution is that the player gets slow. So I tried a different route in my second Sport in that I have a normal folder structure and a playlist with most songs, which the Sport plays in shuffle mode. The downside of this method is that for some reason about 50 of >6000 songs are missing in the playlist on the Sport (compared to the original list created in Windows).

DrLucky is absolutely right: The order of the files is determined by their creation date. The first time they’re sorted alphabetically after all.

Many thanks people for the help and suggestions, only one thing remains and has been overlooked.

My Clip Sport recognizes the 32gb card but cannot read it “empty”. Even when I’ve only just loaded files onto it??? I get the “media updating” progress bar but no updates and card remains empty. I’m more of an album listener occasional playlist, not that these should matter.

@tunedude wrote:

My Clip Sport recognizes the 32gb card but cannot read it “empty”. Even when I’ve only just loaded files onto it??? I get the “media updating” progress bar but no updates and card remains empty. I’m more of an album listener occasional playlist, not that these should matter.

I’m not sure if I understand you. There should be (up to) 2000 files in «Music» and/or in «Card» mode. The update will not add any more files because they would exceed the 2000 files limit. But you should have access to all of your music files through the folder mode, which isn’t dependent on database refreshing.

In any event an «empty card» just doesn’t sound plausible to me. Are you speaking of the «Card» mode? Even then I’d expect there to be up to 2000 files.

“In any event an «empty card» just doesn’t sound plausible to me. Are you speaking of the «Card» mode? Even then I’d expect there to be up to 2000 files.”

What it sounds like to you doesn’t matter, what is FACT is that the card reads “empty” with NO files. Which doesn’t help me sort the issue. Clearly there are software issues and the added memory (card) is a waste of money and more trouble than its worth. Wouldn’t it be great if Canon or Nikkon made cameras that only took 36 pictures and then with added memory card took only 36 pictures? 

I use a 16GB card in my Clip Sport. I use 256kbps mp3, and have just under 2,000 songs on the card. The card is very close to being full.

Sandisk players often have issues with cards faster than class 4. Sandisk class 4 cards have the best compatibility with Sandisk players. Some cards by other manufacturers that are class 4(especially 32GB ones) might give some issues in Sandisk players.

@tunedude wrote:

“In any event an «empty card» just doesn’t sound plausible to me. Are you speaking of the «Card» mode? Even then I’d expect there to be up to 2000 files.”

What it sounds like to you doesn’t matter, what is FACT is that the card reads “empty” with NO files. Which doesn’t help me sort the issue. Clearly there are software issues and the added memory (card) is a waste of money and more trouble than its worth. Wouldn’t it be great if Canon or Nikkon made cameras that only took 36 pictures and then with added memory card took only 36 pictures? 

Nice post! :confounded: Of the thousands of Sport owners not all are happy with the device (understandably), but you seem to be the only one with your specific problem. Therefore my «implausible». So if you like, stick with your blind frustration. Or try a different card.

Better yet, instead of throwing more good money after bad buy another player and use the Sandisk card in that!

Have you used the card in a different device? What brand and speed is the card?