Playlist issue with Clip Sport

When I first purchased my Sandisk Clip Sport I was able to make .m3u playlists using Winamp that worked on my Clip. Recently I have done a complete music update on my Clip, replacing all files and find that I can no longer make playlists that work. Whether placed in the internal memory or on the microSDHC card selecting the playlsts always results in an “empty” message.  I’ve tried placing the playlists in many locations. The Clip finds them all but declares them all empty.  When I attach my Clip to my PC and click on a playlist on the Clip it brings up the Windows Media Player program which then successfully plays the tunes from my Clip.  So it appear the formatting of my playlists is correct.  Of more concern is that when I go to the Clip’s Folder/either Internal or External Memory/Music and select a .m3u playlist I get the message “file format not supported”.  How can that be? Similarly if I select the m3u.lib listing.  I tried upgrading my firmware from 1.22 to 1.43 but nothing changed regarding .m3u playlists.  In researching this issue on your forum I found the attached entry where Runandwrite  indicated that he had to go back to firmware version 1.01.12 in order to get playlist to work.  So now I am thinking I must have updated the firmware in my Clip at some point, not knowing it eliminated the playlist capability.  I had no problems with my Clip as originally purchased so my question is: How do I obtain version 1.1.12 and install it on my Clip Sport?

Olderguy

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-other-MP3-players/Success-at-last-with-playlists-on-Micro-SDHC-card/m-p/264403#M2030

Your description sounds to me like you are attempting to use Folder mode to play your Playlists.

->Try using Music mode for Playlists in the internal memory and Card mode for Playlists in the micro SD card.

Also, you should point your playlist creating software (Winamp, mp3tag, VLC, WMP, etc to music files that already reside inside the Music folder on your Clip Sport (or the Music folder on your micro SD card).

->I do not think this idiosyncracy is related to any Firmware updates.

Please write back after you test this suggestion.

1 Like

DFELD2005,

Thank you so very much!!!  The point I missed was that playlists must be generated pointing to files directly on the Clip Sport.  I had been attempting to create them from an identical album folder structure on my PC that I had imported into iTunes and Winamp libraries. I was surprised that iTunes and Winamp allow creation of playlists using files not within their libraries.  This is the third time you have helped me. I really appreciate your patience and expertise!

Regards, Olderguy

Check out this idea I posted here about 2 years ago. Using a batch file command to quickly create a Playlist for audio files that reside inside the Music Folder on the player (or micro SD card).

https://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Simple-Batch-File-for-Playlist-of-Genre-Folders/m-p/359406/highlight/true#M3578

1 Like

DFELD2005,

I tried your idea and got to step 4 with an empty new .m3u playlist.  I’m not clear how to get it to include a listing of the tunes I want.  Was I supposed to copy tunes into the Genre1 folder before adding the Genre.m3u file?

BTW: I had forgotten how useful Notepad is.  I viewed a working and non-working playlist with it and of course found that the non-working one included music file directory locations on my C: drive and the working one included music file directory locations on the Clip as seen by my PC.   It all seems so obvious now :o(.  

Olderguy

Yep, I just needed to preload the new folder with copies of the music files desired in the playlist before executing the directory command (software rookie here).  Neat way to make playlists although you are using memory and potentially escalating the count of music files to the 2000 limit.  The resulting .m3u file as viewed in Notepad is a very thinline directory listing. Album art, if not embedded within the music files, doesn’t seem to show up even is jpegs are placed in the folder.

Olderguy