Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both

My old Clip stopped recharging, so Best Buy gave me a store credit and I bought the Clip Sport, thinking it was equivalent.

I didn’t realize it was a new model with glitchy firmware and no updates.  If I return it, I’ll have to buy something else at Best Buy, and they don’t seem to have any of the stable models.  This could be the end of my many, many years of Sansa loyalty.

Anyway, my music collection exceeds 32 GB and runs over the 6,000 songs supported by Sansa devices.  I have to reduce it below 6,000 and divide it across card and internal memory.  When I go to Music and push “Play All” or “Shuffle”, it only plays the songs on the internal memory.  To play songs on the card, I have to go to “Card” at the top level.

This is totally unacceptable.  I can’t tolerate having to make two separate collections and listen to them separately.  I’ll wait a while, to see if they update the FW and fix this.  Otherwise, it’s back to Best Buy and on to a new brand of music players.

On the Clip, when I went to Music and selected Play All, it played all my music.

“The Sport is a limited model.”

@miikerman wrote:

Limited in what way? The number of production units or the features (namely the split database)? – The latter is a dealbreaker for me if it turns out to be definitive and persistent.

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Limited in what way? The number of production units or the features (namely the split database)? – The latter is a dealbreaker for me if it turns out to be definitive and persistent.

Features. It has fewer bells & whistles by design. If you need (or want) the features of the previous models (Plus and/or Zip) I suggest you return the Sport model and get one of those instead. SanDisk isn’t (or can’t) going to change it.

SanDisk indeed is working to fix certain issues, and will.  But the Sport will remain limited in comparison to its predecessors, _ apart from its magnificent battery _.

@miikerman wrote:

SanDisk indeed is working to fix certain issues, and will.  But the Sport will remain limited in comparison to its predecessors, _ apart from its magnificent battery _.

JK98’s dream has come true! :laughing:

Yeah–be careful what u wish for.  :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

SanDisk indeed is working to fix certain issues, and will. 

I didn’t mean to suggest they (Sandisk) weren’t going to fix bugs or issues, only that they weren’t going to add features that used to be on their previous models. As stated, the Sport is not their flagship model, and not eveything that comes out has more bells and/or whistles (or even the same) as what “used to be”.

For those that say, “But the Clip + did this” or “The Zip model was better at that” . . . this is an entirely different mp3 player designed and built for a certain niche market with limited capabilites (when compared to previous models. You have 2 choices…

Love it or leave it.

I guess that part of the issue has been, when a new product in a line comes out, one tends to think that it will be at least as good as its predecessors, if not a solid improvement.

@miikerman wrote:

I guess that part of the issue has been, when a new product in a line comes out, one tends to think that it will be at least as good as its predecessors, if not a solid improvement.

…which usually is the intention behind the development of a new model. I don’t consider the Sport a niche product per se – with the (now missing or messed up) firmware features of the Clip or Zip it would be a full-fledged all-purpose player like the latter two, which on their part would benefit from the larger battery, too. And the split database – e.g. – doesn’t make more sense for sportive use than for everyday use.

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

Hhmm… so I stand corrected. :flushed:

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

I think the split database is there for good, although I’d like to be wrong.

@tapeworm wrote:

For those that say, “But the Clip + did this” or “The Zip model was better at that” . . . this is an entirely different mp3 player designed and built for a certain niche market with limited capabilites (when compared to previous models. You have 2 choices…

Love it or leave it.

And it appears that most people who experience the device are choosing to leave it.  It’s looking like SanDisk, in making this player, was about as successful as Charlie Brown was at kicking the football…sad!:cry:

Do you think that it’s a limitation which even Rockbox can’t handle?

@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. _ So i guess its for sports like chess then _.

@jazz wrote:

There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport’s internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don’t count on it.

@miikerman wrote:

@jazz wrote:

There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport’s internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don’t count on it.

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it’s the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to ‘fix’ it either.

It has always looked to me as if SanDisk was a manucfaturer with a heart for an audiophile clientele, beside the legitimate goal of making money with its products. I took this from the ear-catching sound quality of the Sansa players, now particularly the Clip Zip – in comparison to Apple, iRiver, Cowon, Archos… players –, and the focus on audio instead of the more popular multimedia functionality, which is rare these days.

Now maybe something is about to change in the management or the company philosophy – given the lovelessness with which the «Sport» has been thrown into the market.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@jazz wrote:

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it’s the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to ‘fix’ it either.

Its not a hardware limitation, they just have an ackward user interface.