Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both

Yeah–be careful what u wish for.  :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

SanDisk indeed is working to fix certain issues, and will. 

I didn’t mean to suggest they (Sandisk) weren’t going to fix bugs or issues, only that they weren’t going to add features that used to be on their previous models. As stated, the Sport is not their flagship model, and not eveything that comes out has more bells and/or whistles (or even the same) as what “used to be”.

For those that say, “But the Clip + did this” or “The Zip model was better at that” . . . this is an entirely different mp3 player designed and built for a certain niche market with limited capabilites (when compared to previous models. You have 2 choices…

Love it or leave it.

I guess that part of the issue has been, when a new product in a line comes out, one tends to think that it will be at least as good as its predecessors, if not a solid improvement.

@miikerman wrote:

I guess that part of the issue has been, when a new product in a line comes out, one tends to think that it will be at least as good as its predecessors, if not a solid improvement.

…which usually is the intention behind the development of a new model. I don’t consider the Sport a niche product per se – with the (now missing or messed up) firmware features of the Clip or Zip it would be a full-fledged all-purpose player like the latter two, which on their part would benefit from the larger battery, too. And the split database – e.g. – doesn’t make more sense for sportive use than for everyday use.

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

Hhmm… so I stand corrected. :flushed:

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

“The Sport is a limited model.”

Limited in what way? The number of production units or the features (namely the split database)? – The latter is a dealbreaker for me if it turns out to be definitive and persistent.

I think the split database is there for good, although I’d like to be wrong.

@tapeworm wrote:

For those that say, “But the Clip + did this” or “The Zip model was better at that” . . . this is an entirely different mp3 player designed and built for a certain niche market with limited capabilites (when compared to previous models. You have 2 choices…

Love it or leave it.

And it appears that most people who experience the device are choosing to leave it.  It’s looking like SanDisk, in making this player, was about as successful as Charlie Brown was at kicking the football…sad!:cry:

Do you think that it’s a limitation which even Rockbox can’t handle?

@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. _ So i guess its for sports like chess then _.

@jazz wrote:

There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport’s internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don’t count on it.

@miikerman wrote:

@jazz wrote:

There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport’s internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don’t count on it.

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it’s the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to ‘fix’ it either.

It has always looked to me as if SanDisk was a manucfaturer with a heart for an audiophile clientele, beside the legitimate goal of making money with its products. I took this from the ear-catching sound quality of the Sansa players, now particularly the Clip Zip – in comparison to Apple, iRiver, Cowon, Archos… players –, and the focus on audio instead of the more popular multimedia functionality, which is rare these days.

Now maybe something is about to change in the management or the company philosophy – given the lovelessness with which the «Sport» has been thrown into the market.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@jazz wrote:

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it’s the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to ‘fix’ it either.

Its not a hardware limitation, they just have an ackward user interface. 

@jazz wrote:

It has always looked to me as if SanDisk was a manucfaturer with a heart for an audiophile clientele, beside the legitimate goal of making money with its products. I took this from the ear-catching sound quality of the Sansa players, now particularly the Clip Zip – in comparison to Apple, iRiver, Cowon, Archos… players –, and the focus on audio instead of the more popular multimedia functionality, which is rare these days.

Now maybe something is about to change in the management or the company philosophy – given the lovelessness with which the «Sport» has been thrown into the market.

It is a sad state of affairs.:cry: I don’t use my Rockboxed Clip Zip all the time, but I don’t want to be without it…and the Sport is not an acceptable replacement for it.

@saratoga wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@jazz wrote:

Its not a hardware limitation, they just have an ackward user interface. 

My understanding is that it is a hardware limitation as well.  Regardless, it is a limitation.

I don’t think its physically possible for hardware to limit how two lists of things are shown on a screen. If you can show list a and you can show list b, you’d be able to show elements from both a and b.  

Probably what was meant is that they do not intend to change the GUI, not that it cannot be done.

Can always ask Creative. They’re quite good in screwing up card integration, or in their case, the complete lack of it.

This player makes no sense. Get the Clip zip and you lose the elapsed time bar. Instead of bring it back in a firmware update they put it back in the Clip Sport. But now you sacrifice card integration. They really only improve one thing, battery life. Otherwise, from reading reviews and complaints, it seems like everything else is a step backward. And if you’re going to make the thing bigger, add bluetooth for Christmas sake. Did you really need better battery life on a product that already had much better than average battery life? I just don’t get it. This company seems to be very out of touch with its user base. And if sales continue to be lackluster, you’ll be keeping all your bugs and issues because firmware fixes won’t be happening. They’ll just move on to generation 5 just like they’ve done before. 

Wow, what an eyeful.  Posts on other topics have suggested I might be able to access more than 32GB on the card, if I buy one of those new 64GB sdxc cards and format it using FAT-32.  Then I can move everything off the internal memory, and play it all.  Of course, Sandisk makes the cards, so promotional comments may be misleading.

If it works, I’ll just have the file limit (~6,000 songs internal+card on my old clipzip, but probably fewer on just the memory card) to stay below, and I’m guessing that’s not much more than 32GB anyway.

If not, I’m not inclined to “upgrade” to one of these older Clip players.  The ClipZip battery didn’t even outlast the warranty, which is probably why Best Buy no longer carries it.  I’ll just return ClipSport for store credit, buy music with it, and give up on the idea that there are reliable memory-card-capable music players out there.

My Clip+ has held up well over time.