Reply
Newbie
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-24-2014

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

 

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎05-02-2010

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

 


Hhmm... so I stand corrected. Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@JaZZ wrote:

@Miikerman wrote:

"The Sport is a limited model."


Limited in what way? The number of production units or the features (namely the split database)? – The latter is a dealbreaker for me if it turns out to be definitive and persistent.


I think the split database is there for good, although I'd like to be wrong.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 4,898
Registered: ‎11-17-2008

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@Tapeworm wrote:



For those that say, "But the Clip + did this" or "The Zip model was better at that" . . . this is an entirely different mp3 player designed and built for a certain niche market with limited capabilites (when compared to previous models. You have 2 choices...

 

Love it or leave it.

 

 And it appears that most people who experience the device are choosing to leave it.  It's looking like SanDisk, in making this player, was about as successful as Charlie Brown was at kicking the football.....sad!Smiley Sad

 


 

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎05-02-2010

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both

[ Edited ]

I think the split database is there for good, although I'd like to be wrong.


Do you think that it's a limitation which even Rockbox can't handle?

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,265
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@tabaz wrote:

but is indeed a niche product: a player for sports where you arent allowed to move your body otherwise it would skip tracks. So i guess its for sports like chess then.

 


 

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 8,152
Registered: ‎12-11-2007

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@JaZZ wrote:

I think the split database is there for good, although I'd like to be wrong.


Do you think that it's a limitation which even Rockbox can't handle?


There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport's internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don't count on it.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 16,265
Registered: ‎04-17-2008

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@Miikerman wrote:

@JaZZ wrote:

I think the split database is there for good, although I'd like to be wrong.


Do you think that it's a limitation which even Rockbox can't handle?


There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport's internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don't count on it.


 

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it's the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to 'fix' it either.

SanDisk Fanatic
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎05-02-2010

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both

It has always looked to me as if SanDisk was a manucfaturer with a heart for an audiophile clientele, beside the legitimate goal of making money with its products. I took this from the ear-catching sound quality of the Sansa players, now particularly the Clip Zip – in comparison to Apple, iRiver, Cowon, Archos... players –, and the focus on audio instead of the more popular multimedia functionality, which is rare these days.

Now maybe something is about to change in the management or the company philosophy – given the lovelessness with which the «Sport» has been thrown into the market.

SanDisk Guru
Posts: 1,265
Registered: ‎04-24-2009

Re: Only plays card or internal memory songs, not both


@Tapeworm wrote:

@Miikerman wrote:

@JaZZ wrote:

I think the split database is there for good, although I'd like to be wrong.


Do you think that it's a limitation which even Rockbox can't handle?


There currently is no Rockbox port for the Sport and, given a change in the Sport's internals, there may never be.  Simply put, don't count on it.


 

And as I understand it (although I could be wrong), it's the processor used in the new Sport that cannot bridge the 2 memory locations. If that is true, then it is unlikely that Rockbox (if it is ever ported to this model) would be able to 'fix' it either.


Its not a hardware limitation, they just have an ackward user interface.