Re: My issues with SanDisk Clip Sport firmware

I ended up just throwing mine out.  I keep reading the excuses, that somehow this is not actually Sandisk's fault, that it's a problem with the hardware limitations.  Mmm Hmm.  I'm the plant engineer at a manufacturing facility.  I deal with industrial hardware, firmware, and software limitations all day long.  My job is to find the work-around.  There's ALWAYS a work-around.  And Sandisk can't figure out how to create a database with more than 2000 entries, and artist, song, and album titles need to be truncated to 12 characters when there are 8 BILLION bytes of memory?  Not buying that story.  There's ALWAYS a work-around.

So true, but if the work-around minimizes revenues, it will never get worked-around! They can always sell you the next model up.

SanDisk Guru

@bhutchin wrote:

So true, but if the work-around minimizes revenues, it will never get worked-around! They can always sell you the next model up.

Unfortunately, the next model "up" here is back, to the Clip Zip or Clip+ . . . .

SanDisk Guru

@billparker82 wrote:

be truncated to 12 characters when there are 8 BILLION bytes of memory?  Not buying that story.  There's ALWAYS a work-around.

8 BILLION bytes is NAND storage not DRAM. the thing that is limiting this player is the very limited amount of DRAM in the controller. 

Should make no difference.  Flash memory does have a slow write time but read times are fast.  Memory is still memory.  Once songs are transferred the player should be in essentially a static state with the only change being current song played.  The files and database don't need to change unless another transfer occurs.

What gives? No further discussion. I received one of these from Amazon in the post yesterday and was immediately unhappy with the fact I can only play one album at a time and finding out that there is no rockbox port.

I loved my SanDisk Clip Zip and have only stopped using it after 8 years of faithful service because the headphone jack is damaged and music cuts out randomly, moving the jack around doesn't make much difference for long.

Any suggestions?