My issues with SanDisk Clip Sport firmware

Hi,

I have two questions for the folks at SanDisk, responsible for the SanDisk Clip Sport firmware:

1. Why is it that whenever a songtitle in a playlist contains ‘special’ characters, it is not shown. I looked at all my playlists and I could compile this list of problematic characters: àáçèéêëíòóöú∆. Probably, there are more. Whenever a song has one of those in it’s title, it is not shown on the display and cannot be played. We are 2014: devices should be UTF8 ready. ASCII is so 1980’s!

2. After upgrading the firmware of my SanDisk Clip Sport to 1.17, I see that the number of songs on the internal and external memory is limited to 2000 each. Can someone tell me where this is advertised for people who are planning to buy this player? I see that SanDisk, notable memory maker, advertises the option to extend the storage of the player using a microSDHC card (preferably of SanDisk, of course). Well then, if you are like me and you have a 32 GB microSDHC card ready, to create virtual combined storage capacity of 40 GB, what then is the point of limiting the number of songs to 2000 (or 2000 + 2000 if you will)? Does SanDisk really believe that all my songs are of Pink Floydish length? SanDisk’s communication is deceptive and qualifies for legal action by consumers in my country, Belgium. Just saying. How would you feel if you’d bought a Ferrari, and as soon as you’re on the road, it’s horsepower or maximum speed is limited, just because the software is ■■■■?

Çômë óñ, Şàñ !! Get your act together again.

A disappointed customer.

I am not responsible for the FW however from what I have read the limitations seem to be related to the limited dram available in the controller that is used in the sport. these limitations are not really FW limitations but limitations of the hardware used in the sport. this player is much less beefy so to speak and is quite limited in what the hardware is capable of. if you are looking for something more full featured the clip+ and clip zip seem to still be available so you may want to to with one of those. 

1 Like

Okay, I understand the limitations, but why isn’t it advertised like that? The SanDisk Clip Sport is the newest player by SanDisk. As a customer, not familiar with the SanDisk product range (I used to be and continue to be an ipod user), I expect it to offer all the features of the previous players, and more. The price also justifies my expectations. Also, the memory expansion slot can hold a microSDHC card of up to 32 GB, being a lot more than 2000 titles! Why doesn’t SanDisk advertise this product’s limitations?

To me it looks like SanDisk is in the “take the money and run” business and does not take its customers very serious. Like, let them buy this player and an expensive memory card, and let them find out the limitations themselves. That is not a way to do business. I will not buy another SanDisk product, at least not for a while. I’ll keep using my ipod shuffle with its limitations, hoping Apple will announce some sort of upgrade next week.

Joeri

I know that it doesn’t make things better in the end, but I don’t think that the extent of the limitations was fully understood initially.

So what you are basically saying is that SanDisk created a device of which it didn’t know the limitations until it was released. Honestly, I don’t know if this softens the pain or makes it even worse. Anyway, what SanDisk needs to do to regain the trust by its users is to clearly profile its product range, and give information information and information. Take a look at how Apple does it:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

No surprises there! Since ipods have not been a priority for Apple for a while (big mistake if you ask me), SanDisk could well be taking over a significant marked share, but then they have to improve their game, or it will never happen.

Cheers,

Joeri

1 Like

From your mouth to Heaven’s ears . . . .

We earnestly look forward to your reply, SanDisk. 

Many technological devices produced today are actually capable of many more features, faster speeds, and more capacity than they have when they are sold. This is due to limitations and restrictions that are implemented by what the software or firmware will allow. Companies do this intentionally so that they can either offer “upgraded” devices in the near future (using the same hardware platform), get a device to market early and fix the bugs in later versions of software, or actually offer upgraded software at a cost to open up all of the “hidden” features that were built into the device originally. It’s all about profits and not about customer service! It obviously seems to work well with Apple, as they have created a giant culture that has been “trained” to purchase a new IPhone everytime they enhance or create a single feature and produce yet another version of the device.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the situation with the Sport . . . .    :frowning:

The issues with the Sport are a FIRMWARE only problem. The chipset used for the device has NOTHING to do with the limitations hated by users. Anyone making this claim knows ZERO about firmware and embedded systems and has likely never worked with an IC in their life. That especially means certain people here who love to put on a cape and tights and pretend to be Superman of the SanDisk universe. ALL the limitations are artificial creations of SanDisk Engineering product design. The firmware was was stripped to give the unit longer battery life.

Actually, that’s not what SanDisk itself and others with engineering background have reported.  Regardless, the limitations exist (even under your latest explanation–I guess you must have inside information) and are not simply “for the heck of it.”

The answer is simple–if one doesn’t like the Sport’s unfortunate limitations, simply return it and purchase a still-available Clip+ or Zip. Whoosh . . . (that’s the sound of the cape in the wind).   :wink:

Actually, that’s not what SanDisk itself and others with engineering background have reported.  Regardless, the limitations exist (even under your latest explanation–I guess you must have inside information) and are not simply “for the heck of it.”

The answer is simple–if one doesn’t like the Sport’s unfortunate limitations, simply return it and purchase a still-available Clip+ or Zip.  From everything I’ve heard, the limitations, as a general matter, ain’t going to change (SanDisk alteady having done what it felt it could, in an earlier firmware revision, and being well aware of the issues and consumer reaction).  Although, a pleasant surprise would be exactly that.

Whoosh . . . (that’s the sound of the cape in the wind).  

The answer is simple–if one doesn’t like the Sport’s unfortunate limitations, simply return it and purchase a still-available Clip+ or Zip.  From everything I’ve heard, the limitations, as a general matter, ain’t going to change (SanDisk alteady having done what it felt it could, in an earlier firmware revision, and being well aware of the issues and consumer reaction).  Although, a pleasant surprise would be exactly that.

The answer is simple–if one doesn’t like the Sport’s unfortunate limitations, simply return it and purchase a still-available Clip+ or Zip, and get back to enjoying the music.  From everything I’ve heard, the limitations, as a general matter, ain’t going to change (SanDisk alteady having done what it felt it could, in an earlier firmware revision, and being well aware of the issues and consumer reaction).  Although, a pleasant surprise would be exactly that.

Actually, that’s not what SanDisk itself and others with engineering background have reported.  Regardless, the limitations exist (even under your explanation–I guess you must have inside information) and are not simply “for the heck of it.”

The answer is simple–if one doesn’t like the Sport’s unfortunate limitations, simply return it and purchase a still-available Clip+ or Zip, and get back to enjoying the music.  From everything I’ve heard, the limitations, as a general matter, ain’t going to change (SanDisk alteady having done what it felt it could, in an earlier firmware revision, and being well aware of the issues and consumer reaction).  Although, a pleasant surprise would be exactly that.

:stuck_out_tongue:

@chibbs wrote:
The issues with the Sport are a FIRMWARE only problem. Thechipset used for the device has NOTHING to do with the limitations hated by users. Anyone making this claim knows ZERO about firmware and embedded systems and has likely never worked with anIC in their life. That especially means certain people here who love to put on a cape and tights and pretend to be Superman of theSanDisk universe. ALL the limitations are artificial creations ofSanDisk Engineering product design. The firmware was was stripped to give the unit longer battery life.

The limitations seen in the Clip Sport product line are hardware related The simple fact is that the controller used in the Clip Sport is not capable of having the same feature set that was available in past Sansa Clip products. 

Please take some time to read our forums rules and guidelines. This will serve as your one and only warning. Personal attacks and this hateful attitude to other forum members will not be tolerated. If you continue to berate other forum members you will be banned from posting on this forum. 

Forum Admin

slotmonsta

I hope Sandisk makes a version of the Clip Zip the size of the Clip Sport and with the display the Clip Sport has. I hope it has the same circuitry as the Clip Zip except for the display, and has a battery with at least 70% more capacity than the Clip Zip’s, so that we can have all the functionality of the Clip Zip, and at least 25 hours of battery life. It would be okay if this player is priced somewhat higher than the Clip Sport, although I hope an 8GB one wouldn’t be over $80.

I enjoy using the Rockboxed Clip Zip. My main complaint about it is that the battery life isn’t enough. I was hoping the Clip Sport would be a Clip Zip but with a larger screen and larger capacity battery. I guess Sandisk was focusing on competing against the ipod Shuffle, and therefore felt a need to keep the price of the 8GB version under $50. Many of us would never buy a Shuffle though, and are comparing the Clip Zip and Clip Sport to other players that are $80 or more. Having a larger capacity battery probably wouldn’t add that much to the cost, although due to the extra weight, a stronger clip might also be needed.

I think it’s time for a refresh and for an UberClip to emerge . . . .

@miikerman wrote:

I think it’s time for a refresh and for an UberClip to emerge . . . .

I’ll second that. If it wasn’t for want of the Sport’s increased battery I’d have stuck with the Clip + . Pretty please Sandisk, give us a Clip+/Zip with a bigger battery:smiley: