SanDisk Guru

Re: Maximum microSDHC capacity ?

@LoneCat wrote:

@Miikerman wrote:

But note the Sport's file number limitations.

Could you be more specific : what are these file number limitations ?

Ciao,

LoneCat

Originally, the database limitation was/is 4000 files for the internal memory and 4000 for the external.  Note, however, that long file names and deeply nested folders will take up more than one database entry.

Also, this is the current state; the database capacity likely will go down, and perhaps significantly, with a firmware revision--hopefully to be known yet this month.

SanDisk Fanatic

I'm not sure if a 64 or even 128 GB card would work anyway. My attempt with a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64 GB (formatted to Fat32) in a Clip Zip wasn't successful. The player only took notice of half of the card content at best and was extremely slow.

SanDisk Guru

Again, that may be the result of the original firmware's database limitations.  The alternate Rockbox firmware does not have those limitations.

Others have reported using a 128GB microSD card in the Clip without issue.

SanDisk Fanatic

@Miikerman wrote:

...with Rockbox?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@JaZZ wrote:

@Miikerman wrote:

...with Rockbox?

Yes.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Guru

@JaZZ wrote:

@Miikerman wrote:

...with Rockbox?

Yes--again, due to the original firmware's database limitations as to the number of entries it allows, Rockbox would be necessary to use the extra space in the mega-sized cards (unless one's files are large in size, thereby limiting the number of files that one has and thereby the number of database entries).

One thing I'm unsure of:  if one only uses folder navigation on a Clip+ or Clip Zip, could one fully use a mega-sized card with the original firmware?  If I recall correctly, the answer may be no there as well.

SanDisk Guru

I don't think so. IIUC, the 'folder' view in the sandisk actually uses the same database, but instead shows the file paths.

Large SD cards might still be useful though if one has a lot of very large files (e.g. FLAC, audio books, etc).  

SanDisk Guru

@saratoga wrote:

I don't think so. IIUC, the 'folder' view in the sandisk actually uses the same database, but instead shows the file paths.

Large SD cards might still be useful though if one has a lot of very large files (e.g. FLAC, audio books, etc).  

This has been my understanding as well.

SanDisk Guru

That's what I thought I had recalled.  Smiley Sad