Maximum microSDHC capacity ?

microSDHC tops out at 32GB, so thats the largest supported. You can unofficially use larger SDXC cards in pretty much any SDHC device (including the Clip Zip), but you’ll have to reformat them to FAT32 yourself.

And so that means that 64 and 128 GB cards will/should work.  But note the Sport’s file number limitations.  Also, Clip players have sometimes had issues with card speeds above Class 4 (the alternate Rockbox firmware, which does not currently exist for the Sport, has not had this issue).

@miikerman wrote:

And so that means that 64 and 128 GB cards will/should work.  But note the Sport’s file number limitations. 

Good point! With the Sport’s lower database capacity, I’d say even a 323GD card is going to hold more than will be seen or played by the player. In which case a 16GB card would be more than enough.

And if rumors are true about that database limit being lowered even further to accomodate other firmware fixes, 8GB would suffice.

Note that if one wants a huge collecion on a Clip, necessary to avoid the limited Sport and to go for the Zip or Clip+.  Also, for a huge collection (especially using a 64GB or 128GB card), you likely will need to install the alternate Rockbox firmware, given the original firmware’s database size limitations.

Oh ok so i only need to buy a SDXC 64GB or 128GB card and format it to fat32.

32GB is not enough for me, i knew Rockbox was better but i really needed these 25hours of autonomy because i am addicted to talk shows and conference.

Thank you.

Again, the Sport is limited to the number of files it can hold, regardless of the size of your microSD card.  My guess is, given these limitations, a 64GB or 128GB card would be wasted on the Sport, as Tapeworm points out above.  If the number of files is important to you, get a Zip of Clip+.

By the way, as to needing 25 hours of autonomy:  simply charge the player when you sleep.

@miikerman wrote:

But note the Sport’s file number limitations.

Could you be more specific : what are these file number limitations ?

Ciao,

LoneCat

Originally, the database limitation was/is 4000 files for the internal memory and 4000 for the external.  Note, however, that long file names and deeply nested folders will take up more than one database entry.

Also, this is the current state; the database capacity likely will go down, and perhaps significantly, with a firmware revision. 

@lonecat wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Ciao,

LoneCat

Originally, the database limitation was/is 4000 files for the internal memory and 4000 for the external.  Note, however, that long file names and deeply nested folders will take up more than one database entry.

Also, this is the current state; the database capacity likely will go down, and perhaps significantly, with a firmware revision. 

@lonecat wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Ciao,

LoneCat

Also, this is the current state; the database capacity likely will go down, and perhaps significantly, with a firmware revision–hopefully to be known yet this month.

I’m not sure if a 64 or even 128 GB card would work anyway. My attempt with a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64 GB (formatted to Fat32) in a Clip Zip wasn’t successful. The player only took notice of half of the card content at best and was extremely slow.

Again, that may be the result of the original firmware’s database limitations.  The alternate Rockbox firmware does not have those limitations.

Others have reported using a 128GB microSD card in the Clip without issue.

@miikerman wrote:

…with Rockbox?

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

…with Rockbox?

Yes.

@jazz wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

…with Rockbox?

Yes–again, due to the original firmware’s database limitations as to the number of entries it allows, Rockbox would be necessary to use the extra space in the mega-sized cards (unless one’s files are large in size, thereby limiting the number of files that one has and thereby the number of database entries).

One thing I’m unsure of:  if one only uses folder navigation on a Clip+ or Clip Zip, could one fully use a mega-sized card with the original firmware?  If I recall correctly, the answer may be no there as well.

I don’t think so. IIUC, the ‘folder’ view in the sandisk actually uses the same database, but instead shows the file paths.

Large SD cards might still be useful though if one has a lot of very large files (e.g. FLAC, audio books, etc).  

@saratoga wrote:

I don’t think so. IIUC, the ‘folder’ view in the sandisk actually uses the same database, but instead shows the file paths.

Large SD cards might still be useful though if one has a lot of very large files (e.g. FLAC, audio books, etc).  

This has been my understanding as well.

That’s what I thought I had recalled.  :frowning:

Got my sport clip in 2014, wanting maximum holding capacity, though recognized I already had more than 28GB of music, so I got an 8GB sport, and later installed a 64GB sd card. Before adding it, I noticed a limit for the number of ‘favorites’, discovered the usefulness of ‘folder’ option, always playing with ‘random’.

I play many thousands of songs, and the 64GB disk continues to work just fine!