Accepted Solution

Maximum capacity supported for memory card slot of SanDisk® Clip Sport

Ad pls advise what is the maximum capacity supported for memory card slot of SanDisk® Clip Sport !?

Thanks.

SanDisk Guru

Re: Maximum capacity supported for memory card slot of SanDisk® Clip Sport

The Clip Sport has a database limit of 2,000 songs for card memory. The separate database for internal memory 

has a limit of 2,000 songs. Cards larger than 32GB formatted as FAT32 might work okay in the Clip Sport, or they might be problematic. The issue is that these cards are class 10 or faster, and cards faster than class 4 might cause problems in Sandisk players. If you want to be sure of not having compatibility problems with a card, then the largest capacity card that should be used in the Clip Sport is a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSDHC card.

Some other brands of 32GB cards might cause compatility problems, even if they are class 4 or slower. I suggest getting a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSDHC card sealed in a retail package from a reliable dealer. These are inexpensive now. 

Thanks for your reply.

However, I'm a lossless music file (FLAC) fan, so I actually need a capacity more than 32GB, such as 64GB or 128GB microSD card.

Can MOD pls advise any further solution for me ? For sure I will buy a genuin Sandisk microSD card at local dealer Smiley Happy

Thanks.

SanDisk Guru

You could try a 64GB or 128GB card formatted as FAT32. The latest firmware update for the Sport is supposed to improve card compaibility, however they didn't explicitly state that class 10 cards would now work fine without any issues.

SanDisk Fanatic

My FAT32-formatted 64 GB SanDisk SD Cards work fine in my two Sports – even before the firmware update which is said to solve the class 10 issue. I guess 128 GB cards would work as well. I would be cautious in terms of Flac, though. Haven't tried any Flac files with firmware 1.27 yet, but firmware 1.25 couldn't play them without ugly clicks as in vinyl records.

BTW, I doubt the benefit from Flac vs. MP3 on a device like the humble Clip Sport – which isn't meant to provide ultimate sound quality and transparency, although it certainly sounds more than satisfying for its price and size.

If you don't care for the database, i.e. the normal «Music» or «Card» modes, and shuffle play, the folder mode allows access to much more than 2000 files per drive. With a playlist you can even play them in random order.

Highlighted

Currently using a 64GB card without problems and thinking of getting a 128GB one. Is anyone using one and can confirm it works ? Thanks in advance