Maximum capacity supported for memory card slot of SanDisk® Clip Sport

Ad pls advise what is the maximum capacity supported for memory card slot of SanDisk® Clip Sport !?

Thanks.

The Clip Sport has a database limit of 2,000 songs for card memory. The separate database for internal memory 

has a limit of 2,000 songs. Cards larger than 32GB formatted as FAT32 might work okay in the Clip Sport, or they might be problematic. The issue is that these cards are class 10 or faster, and cards faster than class 4 might cause problems in Sandisk players. If you want to be sure of not having compatibility problems with a card, then the largest capacity card that should be used in the Clip Sport is a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSDHC card.

Some other brands of 32GB cards might cause compatility problems, even if they are class 4 or slower. I suggest getting a Sandisk 32GB class 4 microSDHC card sealed in a retail package from a reliable dealer. These are inexpensive now. 

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

However, I’m a lossless music file (FLAC) fan, so I actually need a capacity more than 32GB, such as 64GB or 128GB microSD card.

Can MOD pls advise any further solution for me ? For sure I will buy a genuin Sandisk microSD card at local dealer :slight_smile:

Thanks.

You could try a 64GB or 128GB card formatted as FAT32. The latest firmware update for the Sport is supposed to improve card compaibility, however they didn’t explicitly state that class 10 cards would now work fine without any issues.

1 Like

My FAT32-formatted 64 GB SanDisk SD Cards work fine in my two Sports – even before the firmware update which is said to solve the class 10 issue. I guess 128 GB cards would work as well. I would be cautious in terms of Flac, though. Haven’t tried any Flac files with firmware 1.27 yet, but firmware 1.25 couldn’t play them without ugly clicks as in vinyl records.

BTW, I doubt the benefit from Flac vs. MP3 on a device like the humble Clip Sport – which isn’t meant to provide ultimate sound quality and transparency, although it certainly sounds more than satisfying for its price and size.

If you don’t care for the database, i.e. the normal «Music» of «Card» modes, and shuffle play, the folder mode allows access to much more than 2000 files per drive. With a playlist you can even play them in random order.

My FAT32-formatted 64 GB SanDisk SD Cards work fine in my two Sports – even before the firmware update which is said to solve the class 10 issue. I guess 128 GB cards would work as well. I would be cautious in terms of Flac, though. Haven’t tried any Flac files with firmware 1.27 yet, but firmware 1.25 couldn’t play them without ugly clicks as in vinyl records.

BTW, I doubt the benefit from Flac vs. MP3 on a device like the humble Clip Sport – which isn’t meant to provide ultimate sound quality and transparency, although it certainly sounds more than satisfying for its price and size.

If you don’t care for the database, i.e. the normal «Music» or «Card» modes, and shuffle play, the folder mode allows access to much more than 2000 files per drive. With a playlist you can even play them in random order.

1 Like

I am a new SanDisk Sport Clip owner and curious to learn how to adapt to the 2000 song limit for using external SDMHC cards.

I have read several messages across the SanDisk Forum that suggest to use the Folder Mode to play mp3 files when the SD card has more than 2000 songs.  

It appears that any mp3 files that I save in sub-folders in the Root Folder or that I save in sub-folders in the Music Folder of my SD card, are all automatically included in the Music Database (since I still I have less that 2000 mp3 files on my SD card).  

I was guessing that the mp3 folders I saved outside the “Music” folder would be excluded from the Music database for my SD card ??? Or am I confused how this could work?

What happens when I save additional mp3 files (in sub-folders?) in my SD card above the 2000 file limit?  

Does it matter if these “excess” mp3 files are saved inside the Music Folder or in separate sub-folders in the Root Folder?

Will I be able to play these “excess” files using the Folder command on the player ???

Or will these excess mp3 files always be ignored no matter where I try to save them on the SD card ???

OR, will I need to create Playlists to access mp3 files above the 2000 file limit on the SD card???

Thank You for all your assistance.

I’ve updated to firmware 1.38 on my sandisk sport clip 8gb, and I can personally say that there is a HUGE difference between lossy formats like m4a, mp3 and lossless formats like FLAC.  The player seems very faithful and sensitive in the upper frequencies, and I found mp3s and m4as, even at higher bitrates, to have an awful high frequency presence that made the sound almost unlistenable.  In fact, it was so bad that I just put the player in a drawer for a year, and finally just got it back out, updated the firmware, and loaded up some FLAC files.  Also, I’m using SkullCandy Grind headphones (they’re not audiophile or anything, but they’re good sound for the value).  I had none of the same problems with the sound of the FLAC, and they have been an absolute pleasure to listen to.  Just a note on the sound.  Regarding the capacities of the cards and compatibility, I don’t know yet… I’m still using the internal 8GB for now. 

Without exploring maximum capacity for my sport clip, I revied what I had in songs and their total MB load, I chose 64GB the additional sd card, the size has never been a problem.  I am well past 2,000 songs, works fine for years. 

Currently using a 64GB card without problems and thinking of getting a 128GB one. Is anyone using one and can confirm it works ? Thanks in advance

I am currently using a Sandisk Ultra 128gb card ion my 8gb Sport player with no problems. I have most of my music library stored on the card in various folders, which are easily accessible in the menu, and I can play music from the folders randomly. However, I don’t know if I am being limited to accessing 2000 songs or not in the stored memory, as I haven’t checked closely. I haven’t done any firmware updates. Judging by above comments about updates providing more compatibility with Class 10 cards, perhaps I should. 

128 works fine for me, though it hangs regularly and needs a reboot or refresh.
But seriously, do yourself a favor and go buy a sony NW A45 for €125 or so used. They are leaps and bounds better. Absolutely fantastic little player. Battery life is huge compared to the sansas, sounds way better, is small and functional, with touch screen and buttons.
I did tons of research, pulled the trigger on one, and wish I had done it years ago.
I loved my sansa for a lotta years, but now it’s relegated to a beater for my little bike speaker while my good headphones enjoy the sony.

If you hate how sansa displays your songs in weird, random, semi-alphabetical order: use a little app called fatsorter. Straightens them right out.