Making Playlists

Okay, I can tolerate using a specific file format to make a playlist. But, if I’m reading the instructions correctly, I have to MOVE all the music files I want to put into a playlist into a SINGLE FOLDER on my COMPUTER. Is that right? That seems amazingly kludgy! Please tell me I’m missing something and that there is a simpler way…

The instructions are heavily misleading, actually wrong. Here’s how to proceed:

Connect the Sport with the computer. Create the playlist with Foobar2000 (or with any other playlist editor) with songs on your Sport via drag & drop. Just use music files from one directory (internal memory or SD card) for a specific playlist. Then save the playlist as M3U to the root directory of your Sport’s internal memory or to the card’s root directory (depending on where the files in the playlist are located). It’s essential to save it directly to the Sport (or its SD card, respectively) instead of saving it on your computer and copy it to the Sport.

I use Windows Media Player - does that count as a playlist editor? It’s what I used to put music on my previous SanDisk device.

I’m not finding how to save a playlist to the Sport (no SD card), or how to save it as a m3u…

@bamboo wrote:

I use Windows Media Player - does that count as a playlist editor? It’s what I used to put music on my previous SanDisk device.

I’m not finding how to save a playlist to the Sport (no SD card), or how to save it as a m3u…

I’m not used to WMP, but yes, it lets you save M3U playlists to the Sport. Right above the playlist window, at the right of the «Save list» option, there’s a symbol with «List options» (I hope it’s called like this, as I have to translate it from a German version), among those you’ll find «Save list as…». The window which opens then lets you choose the directory and the playlist type. (Maybe you first have to overwirte the «.wpl» suffix in the file name field with «.m3u» to get the M3U option displayed in the playlist type field – after all that’s happened to me the first time I tried it.).

I use WinAMP 5,666

I must be missing something because that’s not working for me.

I’ve synced several songs onto the Clip Sport.

In Windows Media Player, I can click on songs that are on the Sport, but they won’t drag-and-drop into the Play pane/tab.

(I’m assuming it doesn’t matter what filetype the songs are… I have mostly .wma’s and .mp3’s)

Bumping this in hopes of getting just enough help to allow me to accomplish what I need. If I can’t figure out how to make playlists in a reasonable fashion, I’ll have to get rid of this device and look for something else. Playlists are critical.

Besides this cute (but annoying) Clip Sport, I have a Windows 7 PC, Windows Explorer, and Windows Media Player.

I couldn’t get JaZZ’s steps to work, and haven’t seen a response to my follow-up question. I also couldn’t make headway with the suggestions of DFELD2005. Just need a simple list of all the steps of what to do – something that actually works. Please, can anyone help?

I am sorry you are getting frustrated with your Clip Sport.

I have been using my Clip Sport for 3+ months and never wanted or tried to make a playlist  I have been very pleased with the capability of the Clip Sport to create Music databases from music files that are copied into the Music Folder (intermal and external).  The Clip Sport really performs amazing feats of sorting and shuffling and allows internal creation of “GoLists” that you create while listening.

The main requirement for full enjoyment of the Clip Sport is to carefully edit the MP3 tags in the music files you copy into the device.

Maybe you could describe a specific example of what you want to do with a playlist?  There are several SanDisk forum members who regularly try to answer new owner’s questions. Maybe they can suggest primary and alternate methods of achieving your goals.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14337

From the insructions above, Step 3 “Save list as…” -will open a new browser window.  Point to Clip Jam > Playlists

Name it with .m3u extension and save it.

Note: After disconnect, the .m3u file will not play from the Folder hierarchy you must navigate to Music > Playlists > name.m3u

Playlist.jpg