Frozen on volume screen

I have now had this happen to me twice with the latest firmware.  Both times I was working out and it got a little sweaty, so I’m guessing that has something to do with it.  For me, this is what happens:

1. All of a sudden the player continuously volumes down.  I have to hold the volume up button to keep it at the same volume.

2. At some point it will stop doing this, but the screen will stay on the volume screen, even if I let go.  Music continues to play, but it just sits on the volume screen.

3. At this point none of the buttons are functional. I can’t pause, change the song or power down.

4. The first time, I was able to reboot it a couple times but after rebooting it would do the same thing.  The second time, I couldn’t even reboot, just had to leave it until the battery died.

5. The next morning, it will operate as normal, ostensibly because it’s dried.

The only reason I bought this device is because I was tired of my smartphone becoming difficult to operate at the gym when my hands got sweaty and couldn’t use the touch screen well.  I longed for a simple plastic device with classic buttons like this that wouldn’t have this problem, I figured since it’s called “sport” it would be designed for such activity.  Instead, this thing is even worse than my smart phone.  My touch screen is hard to use when sweaty but at least it is functional; this device gets a little sweat on it and becomes unusable.  Really frustrating.