Firmware Update

What will it do though? Add any additional functionality?

Raise the file limit to 2x 4000. (One can dream.)

@jazz wrote:

Dreaming is great.  But the upgrade will _ not _ be doing that.

@jazz wrote:

Dreaming is great.  But the update will _ not _ be doing that.

3000, maybe?

Not 2 x 3000–hardware limitations.

I wouldn’t expect firmware changes of any magnitude–player limitations.  (But then, the last time I said something like that (that it was unlikely that a new firmware would issue), I was proven wrong later that day!     ;)    )

I just do not get it. SanDisk had a very popular player in the Zip. As a follow up they made a player with fewer hardware options running an OS that may never be Rockboxable. I_s everyone at SanDisk retarded?_

The intention to eke out as many sales and as much profit as possible from a line, in the face of the alternative growth of smartphones? 

I still clamor for the UberClip (and long ago suggested bronze, gold and silver edition Clip players, or similarly)–shouldn’t product excellence be an aim in life as well?  Yes, I know, there is this thing called capitalism and how people approach it.   Sigh.

Having said that, each of Sony, Cowon and FiiO has come out in the recent past with a jukebox MP3 player.  Doesn’t that suggest that there is a there, there?  I mean Sony, for cripe’s sake.

Again, sigh. 

The intention to eke out as many sales and as much profit as possible from a line, in the face of the alternative growth of smartphones? 

I still clamor for the UberClip (and long ago suggested bronze, gold and silver edition Clip players, or similarly)–shouldn’t product excellence be an aim in life as well?  Yes, I know, there is this thing called capitalism and how people approach it.   Sigh.

Having said that, each of Sony, Cowon and FiiO has come out in the recent past with a jukebox MP3 player.  Doesn’t that suggest that there still is a there, there?  I mean Sony, for cripe’s sake.

Again, sigh. 

1 Like

Well said, Miikerman!

I don’t think SanDisk will ever enter the High-End market or serve explicit audiophile demands. SanDisk is and will remain associated with ultra-compact players for a mass market. And from what I get higher sound quality needs larger electronics components with higher voltage (e.g. DAC), thus larger housings for better heat dissipation (and it’s not about output power in the first place), all of which would be reflected in a higher price.

So – although SanDisk players still stick out among the mass of ultracompact players in terms of sound quality – SanDisk’s now main goal seems to be to remain competitive in view of smartphones used as MP3 players. I highly doubt that this will work out, the less so as some smartphones meanwhile have reached similar sound quality and functionality. And I doubt that there are people who decide between smartphone and MP3 player on the basis of the price difference.

I for one have decided to go for audiophile players (FiiO) which are still portable, even for exercising.

“I just do not get it. SanDisk had a very popular player in the Zip. As a follow up they made a player with fewer hardware options running an OS that may never be Rockboxable. I_s everyone at SanDisk retarded?”_

You need to keep in mind that the Clip Zip got 15 hours of battery life using a 290 mah battery. The Clip Sport gets 25 hours of battery life using a 220 mah battery. So the Clip Sport uses only around 45% of the power the Clip Zip and Clip+. This leads me to wish for a version of the Clip Sport with 16GB built in, and a 440 mah battery, giving 50 hours of battery life. Hopefully this could be priced at $75.

I would also like to see a $99 player from Sandisk that is larger, has a 2" or larger display, has 50+ hours of battery life, and integration of card memory with internal memory(or even better, no internal memory and two card slots which are integrated into one database).

@jazz wrote:

Well said, Miikerman!

I don’t think SanDisk will ever enter the High-End market or serve explicit audiophile demands. SanDisk is and will remain associated with ultra-compact players for a mass market. And from what I get higher sound quality needs larger electronics components with higher voltage (e.g. DAC), thus larger housings for better heat dissipation (and it’s not about output power in the first place), all of which would be reflected in a higher price.

So – although SanDisk players still stick out among the mass of ultracompact players in terms of sound quality – SanDisk’s now main goal seems to be to remain competitive in view of smartphones used as MP3 players. I highly doubt that this will work out, the less so as some smartphones meanwhile have reached similar sound quality and functionality. And I doubt that there are people who decide between smartphone and MP3 player on the basis of the price difference.

I for one have decided to go for audiophile players (FiiO) which are still portable, even for exercising.

And that’s my concern (and I don’t even work for SanDisk!):  if SanDisk issues out players which get perceived as problematic, that just accelerates a loss of sales for the line.  As versus keeping sales at least somewhat steady (or, at least, steadier), with a solid Clip base/line.  . 

when is soon thats what’s ben sead?

when is soon thats whats been said?

@panda1212 wrote:

Only SanDisk knows.  But soon is earlier than later . . . .    :wink:

@miikerman wrote:

@panda1212 wrote:

Only SanDisk knows.  But soon is earlier than later . . . .    :wink:

Very true! – Not just miiker, but also wiser than many… :dizzy_face:

When is the next firmware update and realese date?

@panda1212 wrote:

Please stop asking this same question over & over. :angry:

No one here knows, including the Admin of this forum. When it is released by SanDisk, it will be posted here. And not before.

@panda1212 wrote:

Soon (yes, I know you don’t like that term, but that’s the best that can be guessed, at present).