Highlighted

FLAC - all files under unknown artist (unknown album)

Hi, As the title says all the FLAC files I've uploaded to Clip Sport are place under Unknown Artist/Unknown Album. All FLAC files are from official FLAC files from record label (Linn, Domino, etc), so I think the information inside them should be correct. I don't have any problems with mp3 files, those are placed to correct folders with correct names. I suspect that Clip Sport can't read the information from FLAC files correctly, or am I doing something wrong ? Is there something I can do (other than use mp3 files instead)
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: FLAC - all files under unknown artist (unknown album)

Are the tags for the files filled in?  That's what the Clips use to identify files, as a general matter.

MP3Tag (Internet freeware) can be used for this (although I haven't used it with FLAC files, I understand that it works just fine there).  The Clips want ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 as the tag format (set within MP3Tag), which I assume works with FLAC files as well. 

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@platypus wrote:
Hi, As the title says all the FLAC files I've uploaded to Clip Sport are place under Unknown Artist/Unknown Album. All FLAC files are from official FLAC files from record label (Linn, Domino, etc), so I think the information inside them should be correct. I don't have any problems with mp3 files, those are placed to correct folders with correct names. I suspect that Clip Sport can't read the information from FLAC files correctly, or am I doing something wrong ? Is there something I can do (other than use mp3 files instead)

What are the bit and sampling rates? 16-bit, 44.1kHz is what Clips like. 24-bit, 96kHz (and anything higher) are generally not recognized.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Update:  Apparently, tags don't currently work with FLAC files on the Sport, leading to the situation you mentioned.  (MP3 files are fine.)  Unknown, at present, if this can be fixed.  Unfortunate.  And sorry that you were one of the first to discover this.

One thing to try:  can you navigate to the files via separate folder/card navigation?

Highlighted

I checked with Mp3tag and not all files have the tags filled (which was a surprise, because those come from record company).

Nevertheless some of them has tags, and still all of them are placed to Unknown Artist/Unknown Album.

Mp3tag show that the format for FLAC is FLAC and for mp3 it's ID3v2.x

In my opinion this seems like a bug.

Highlighted

oops - I answered your previous comment first.

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but yes I'm able to see the files and use them, but they are all in the same folder.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

[ Edited ]

It seems this player doesn't like to read the ID3 tags, unlike previous Sansas. With FLAC, MP3, and iTunes-purchased M4a, it seems the only way to get an album to play in the correct order is to access it via the Folder menu, and even then the filenames must be numbered correctly, like so....

So each album in its own folder, looking like the above, seems to be the necessary method. 

2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@platypus wrote:

I checked with Mp3tag and not all files have the tags filled (which was a surprise, because those come from record company).

Nevertheless some of them has tags, and still all of them are placed to Unknown Artist/Unknown Album.

You may have missed my comment above yours above, but it appears that, at present, tags do not work with FLAC files (while they are fine with MP3 files)--unknown if this can be fixed.  And so the current options are, to convert to a different file format (such as MP3) or navigate for those files via the folder and card options.  Sorry . . . .

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Miikerman wrote:

@platypus wrote:

You may have missed my comment above yours above, but it appears that, at present, tags do not work with FLAC files (while they are fine with MP3 files)--unknown if this can be fixed.  And so the current options are, to convert to a different file format (such as MP3) or navigate for those files via the folder and card options.  Sorry . . . .

See my post above....Smiley Wink

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Marvin_Martian wrote:

See my post above....Smiley Wink

Yep, and mine a few above that, addressing the OP's issue--wanted to make sure he hadn't missed it, as I wrote.   Smiley Wink