Combining MIcro SD Card and Internal Memory

Is there a way to combine the 8gb Micro SD Card songs and the internal memory songs so they can all be available in one spot?  I love to use the shuffle feature and it’s a bummer that I can’t figure out how to combine the two.  My library is pretty much split in half between the card and the internal memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

The only possible workaround is to use a playlist with all songs. Works for me, but for some reason ~50 songs are missing. Not a big deal.

Instead of using an 8GB card and the 8GB internal memory, you could use a 16GB card and put all your songs on the card. Remember though to get a class 4 card, and not a faster one, as Sandisk players often have problems with cards faster than class 4. In the US, you could get a Sandisk 16GB class 4 micro SDHC card for under $10 with free shipping.

Jazz-You have managed to get a playlist to work on the Clip Sport that has songs from both internal and card memory??? How did you accomplish that?

Create a single playlist with all the songs - from the device memory + microSDHC card.

“Create a single playlist with all the songs - from the device memory + microSDHC card.”

Have you actually gotten this to work? I don’t use playlists on My Clip Sport, I did use the Go List on My Clip+ and Clip Zip before I started using Rockbox. On the Clip+ and Clip Zip whole albums (or even all the songs of an artist) can be added to the Go List in one step. The instructions for playlists on the Clip Sport is that the playlist needs to be in the folder that contains all the songs, which means that a playlist could be for songs on card memory or on internal memory, but not songs from both.

“The Clip Sport/Jam only supports M3U playlists and they must be stored in the same directory as the files in the playlist.”

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14337/~/creating-m3u-playlists-for-the-clip-sport%2Fjam

@jk98 wrote:

Jazz-You have managed to get a playlist to work on the Clip Sport that has songs from both internal and card memory??? How did you accomplish that?

No, not really. I have mixed it up with my success to avoid the file limit and nevertheless have shuffle play. In fact I use just the card for the playlist. So ignore my suggestion. Sorry for the confusion!

But the workaround for the thread starter would indeed be to use a larger card to have all files there.

Is it possible to create a playlist (* .m3u file) into which betray songs from volatile memory device, then the tracks of an external card.
I created a playlist of all the 4133 files from the volatile memory and an external card and the device has no problem from that playlist to play all the 4133 files. It is one where the plylist (* .m3u file) saved. The device is one where a particular file is stored played.

Ansambla”-Huh???

I don’t understand what you wrote.

don’t waste your money on a 16bit card if you have a sport, it will only play 2000 songs no matter what.  better yet, don’t waste your money on a sport;  it doesn’t advertise this deficiency, yet it is real.  i bought a 32 gb card to store all my music only to find out the player will only play 2000 songs and it picks the ones it wants.  i’ve got 5000+ songs and can only listen to 2000.  i am extremely pissed because i did not know the limitations because it is not advertised,  dumped and reloaded the card THREE TIMES.  THREE TIMES.  wasted my time and money.  if the pricks at sandisk don’t make it right, i will never buy another product from them.  i will, however, come back here repeatedly and make sure everyone knows what **bleep** they sell and how little they respect their customers

this company will not allow you to post negative posts about their products

Combining Micro SD Card and Internal Memory ist possible.You can only create a playlist of files from the device memory and files MicroSDHC Card (from both in a single playlist). 

I have a playlist 4133 files from the device memory and MicroSD card and play all files.

"don’t waste your money on a 16bit card if you have a sport, it will only play 2000 songs no matter what. "

I have a 16GB class 4 Sandisk card in my Clip Sport. I also have the internal memory full, with around 1100 songs. I have just slightly under 2000 songs on the card, and the card is almost full. I use 256 kbps mp3 for my music. At 256kbps MP3, you get around 9 hours of music per GB. I also have Rockboxed Clip Zip and Clip+ players. While I love using Rockbox, and am annoyed by the limitations of the Clip Sport, I might buy another one due to the Clip Sport’s extra battery life.

" i am extremely pissed because i did not know the limitations because it is not advertised,  dumped and reloaded the card THREE TIMES.  THREE TIMES.  wasted my time and money."

At the Clip Sport’s price though of under $50, it competes against the 2GB ipod Shuffle, which has no screen, no radio, no card slot, and just 2GB of storage. While in a few ways the Clip Sport is inferior to the Clip Zip and Clip+, it is still far superior to players by other brands in its price range. If you are willing to spend $100 or more there are other options, however even those have their limitations. For example, one $100 player has no built in storage, and only 11 hours of battery life. Others don’t have a card slot at all, and have only 16GB of memory built in, and have a proprietary connector. 

While the Clip Sport might not be for everyone, at it price point, size, and battery life, it does provide a unique set of charachteristics. Yes, many who are used to a Rockboxed Clip+ or Rockboxed Clip Zip, were hoping the Sport would be like those but with longer battery life and a larger screen. I guess we are spoiled by how great the Rockboxed Clip+ and Clip Zip are, with the exception of their short battery life. If only we could get a Rockboxable player the size of the Clip Sport with all the capabilities of a Rockboxed Clip Zip, and 25+(hopefully even 40+) hours of battery life.

@jazz wrote:

@jk98 wrote:

No, not really. I have mixed it up with my success to avoid the file limit and nevertheless have shuffle play. In fact I use just the card for the playlist. So ignore my suggestion. Sorry for the confusion!

I have to correct myself again. In fact it works: You can combine music files from both memories in a playlist and the Sport plays them all. I have no idea why my first try yesterday hasn’t succeeded: The playlist just displayed the songs on the internal memory then. This in contrast to my second try today with my second Sport. So good new for the thread starter. Make sure to save the playlists on the root directory – no matter if internal or external.

there are plenty of other products out there for less than $50 bucks (i found several for less than $20) that don’t have the limitations of the sport . i don’t know why you are tooting the horn of the sport when it is a piece of **bleep** player, unless you work for sandisk.  this thing is junk, plain and simple.  the worst sandisk product out there.  there is no reason to have to deal with the limitations of this product when there are plenty of other options at a comparable price.  to say it is good value for the money is NOT an accurate statement.  i think you are trying tocompare apples to oranges at the benefit of no one BUT sandisk.  i hope you enjoy your employee bonus

@kipndana wrote:

there are plenty of other products out there for less than $50 bucks (i found several for less than $20) that don’t have the limitations of the sport . i don’t know why you are tooting the horn of the sport when it is a piece of **bleep** player, unless you work for sandisk.  this thing is junk, plain and simple.  the worst sandisk product out there.  there is no reason to have to deal with the limitations of this product when there are plenty of other options at a comparable price.  to say it is good value for the money is NOT an accurate statement.  i think you are trying tocompare apples to oranges at the benefit of no one BUT sandisk.  i hope you enjoy your employee bonus

Wow.  Civility in a forum can be a good thing, even from a new poster currently with 4 posts.  And no, JK98 does not work for SanDisk, he just has his own opinion as to the player’s worth. 

" i think you are trying tocompare apples to oranges at the benefit of no one BUT sandisk.  i hope you enjoy your employee bonus"

I am not a Sandisk employee, and don’t own shares of the company’s stock. As for other products around the same price, they are either larger and heavier such as phones, lack a card slot, or are generic players that have poor quality firmware(and perhaps also pooor quality hardware).

Sandisk players are not oranges.