Clip Sport gap between tracks

For my Clip Sport, I rip CD tracks to Ogg Vorbis files. Often a continuous span of music is divided into multiple tracks. On the Clip Sport, I get a slight gap of slience between tracks. This never occurred with my two Clip Zip players.

I tried one of the selections in question on a Clip Zip, and also played the files from the hard drive on my Linux PC. Both played perfectly with no gap.

I updated firmware from 122 to 125, with no improvement.

Any help is appreciated.

The Sandisk players are optimized for mp3 files. Since the Clip Sport and Clip Jam probably have very little ram, playing large files in formats other than mp3 is likely to cause issues. In addition, battery life is likely to be much shorter using formats besides mp3.

The Sansa Sport doesn’t do Gapless playback, it’s nothing to do with the format.

That is a serious defect that renders the player almost unusable.

I can combine audio files into a single track by using sox in Linux, or CDEX in Windows, but this should not be necessary. I hope SanDisk corrects this in an upcoming firmware release.

Other disadvantages compared to the Clip Zip: folders copied to the drive do not alphabetize. And, pressing the Back button jumps all the way to the card selection menu, even when no external card is present. In Clip Zip, it simply moved one step up the folder structure, which is logical. The Sport requires many unnecessary button presses.

Does SanDisk offer a current player that supports .ogg and .flac, and plays gapless?

Thanks.

Now, yes, gapless is great to have.  But, “renders the player almost unusable”?  Really . . . ?

mlo4562 wrote:

I can combine audio files into a single track by using sox in Linux, or CDEX in Windows, but this should not be necessary. I hope SanDisk corrects this in an upcoming firmware release.

Does SanDisk offer a current player that supports .ogg and .flac, and plays gapless?

Thanks.

I dont think gapless could be added in a FW updated. Gapless playback requires the next file to be loaded while the current file is still being played. This requires more RAM. The Sport has a pretty limited controller so my best guess is that gapless is not possible due to a hardware resource limitation. 

No, none of the current players support gapless. 

“Does SanDisk offer a current player that supports .ogg and .flac, and plays gapless?”

No, however you can still buy  a Clip+,  Clip Zip, or Fuze and install Rockbox on it. 

@miikerman wrote:

Now, yes, gapless is great to have.  But, “renders the player almost unusable”?  Really . . . ?

Well, yes. Most of my listening is classical, and it is common to have a continuous span of music in multiple tracks. As an example, in Antal Dorati’s 1964 Mercury recording of “The Miraculous Mandarin” by Bartok, about 28 minutes of uninterrupted music is encoded as 23 tracks. Perhaps you can imagine how tedious it is to combine these, especially when it was not necessary with Clip Zip. From my perspective, this is an idiotic limitation.

I am usually ripping from CDs, but even with downloads, continuous music is often more than one file.

Clip Zip appears either to have been discontinued, or availability is severly limited. I returned the Clip Sport for a refund and ordered a Clip Zip online.

SanDisk support has been unhelpful. The rep usually does not seem to understand simple questions, and even more often fails to give a useful response. He had no idea that Clip Sport could not play gapless, for example.

The headphone jack n my original Clip Zip has a bad connection, and I am assuming it is not practical to repair it.

To help prevent headphone jack problems with players, you should use headphones or earphones that have a right angle plug, or else use a short headphone extension cable with a right angle plug, and plug a straight headphone plug into that. The one I linked to below is the cheapest one I could find. It also has a second headphone jack.

http://www.amazon.com/kenable-3-5mm-Stereo-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B009KRFYOG/ref=sr_1_26?ie=UTF8&qid=1437552214&sr=8-26&keywords=right+angle+headphone+extension