Clip Sport and 200GB SDXC

I have a rather massive music collection, and I don’t use the built-in folder functionality.

I like SanDisk players because they’re good-quality and reasonably-priced, but I’m tired of changing out 32GB SDHC cards every time I want to listen to a different song.

Do high-capacity SDXC cards work with the Clip Sport, if formatted with the FAT32 file system? I’ve done some reading up on this, and as best I can tell, the only thing that might keep this from working is that Class 10 memory cards apparently don’t work with SanDisk players, though I’ve personally never had a problem with them.

And if SDXC are the same thing as SDHC, just formatted in a different way… then, this should work just fine, right?

I guess what I’m asking, then, is if there’s a fimware limit that would keep the folder navigation system from utilizing such a large card, assuming it was formatted to FAT32.

And is there some reason why a Class 10 card wouldn’t work, like I’ve read about other places OTI, or is that just bull? Because one of my 32GB SDHC’s is a Class 10, and I’ve never had problems with it.

I know that SDXC isn’t *officially* supported, but what I’m asking is, should it still work if used unofficially?

I have good results using Class 10 micro SD cards with 16 gb capacity.  

Above 32 gb, you may max out the abilty  of the current Clip Sport firmware to manage more than 2000 files in the Music database.

Maybe the file limit problem is a bigger concern than re-formatting the SDSX memory card?

I recently solved my problem of swapping out (and dropping) those tiny micro SD cards by buying more Clip Sports (ha ha).

Above 32 gb, you may max out the ability  of the current Clip Sport firmware to manage more than 2000 files in the Music database.  Maybe this file limit problem is a bigger concern than re-formatting the SDXC memory card?

I recently solved my problem of swapping out (and dropping) those tiny micro SD cards by buying more Clip Sports (ha ha).

Above 32 gb, you may max out the ability  of the current Clip Sport firmware to manage more than 2000 files in the Music database.  Maybe this file limit problem is a bigger concern than re-formatting the SDXC memory card?

You could decide to use the Folder mode to navigate your large audio file library on the SD card , But I think the problems with non-linear file sorting (and then re-sorting with external apps) may get too frustrating.

I recently solved my problem of swapping out (and dropping) those tiny micro SD cards by buying more Clip Sports. And I use the player color for genre sorting.   :laughing: 

1 Like

The sweet spot for mega-microSD cards seems to be with the Clip+ or Clip Zip with the alternative firmware Rockbox (available at Rockbox.org) on the player.  With Rockbox, you get full database capability (with the original SanDisk firmware, the database peters out and refuses to accept more database info. at around 7,000-8,000 files or so on the Clip+ and Clip Zip, and much lower with the Sport and Jam, leaving you to use folder-based navigation); Rockbox also offers many other benefits, including snappy screen designs of various types. 

People have reported using a 128GB card in that fashion without any issue, and I believe that I have read similarly as to the use of a 200GB card.

Although the Clip+ and Clip Zip are no longer being manufactured, they still can be found, albeit, typically, at a higher price than the Sport and Jam–but well worth it, it seems to me.

1 Like

I do not use the database; passed the 8,000 song limit a LONG time ago. But the foder navigation system is all I need, since it still displays album art and track info when I play it.

I have a Sport, and thus can’t install Rockbox. I used to have that on my iPod Classic, and I do miss it.

My question is, will a FAT32-formatted high-capacity SDXC card work with the Sport OF’s folder navigation system?

I’m guessing by your answer that there isn’t a hardware limitation against using them, so, they should work with the Sport’s OF if formatted correctly, right?

My guess is, it will work, as with the earlier Clip players, although I haven’t done that with my Sport (have a high-capacity card in my Clip+); I believe that I have read of others’ use of a 32GB card or higher in their Sport player (as you said, formatted to FAT32).

1 Like

I know how frustrating non-definitive info. from a manufacturer can be, and so I hunted around and found a 64GB microSDXC mixed media card (music files, pics, software, video) that I had around from a tablet.  I put it in my Sport and it played the music files without any issue, immediately.  I don’t recall the card’s format, but I assume, from the fact that it played, that it’s FAT32. 

Although there was only a smattering of music files on the card, I’m taking this as personal evidence that the Sport likely plays fine with a microSDXC card.  I guess the only question would be, to what size limitation, if any.  (Sorry, I don’t have a 64GB, 128GB, or 200GB card filled to the max with music files right now to check this out.)  My hunch is, from what I’ve read others say and based on my experimenting just now, that the Sport will handle the various microSDXC cards.

Hopefully, this gives you a comfort level. 

I still recommend getting a Clip+ or Clip Zip, and loading it with Rockbox.    ;)     Also, I always recommend buying a card that can be returned (or otherwise used), if need be.  I have read, every now-and-again, of some at-random make of card just not being compatible with a Clip player, for whatever reason.

1 Like

Cool, sounds good.

It makes sense than any size card would work, if you 64GB did. I’ve never had any problems using multiple 32GB Class 10’s, and if SDXC is the same as SDHC electrically, and Rockbox is able to parse the FAT32 file system perfectly, then it seems like it should work just fine, then, right? The only reason it wouldn’t is if for some reason there were a limit on how many files the file browser could look at in a given folder, and even if there was such a limit, it could be easily remedied by dividing into further subfolders.

Yep, my guess is that folder view with the original Clip firmware should be just fine with the microSDXC cards and larger capacities.  I must admit, I’ve been meaning, for a long time, to put a 64gb or 128GB card in one of my Clip players, but just haven’t gotten around to it–I still need to add album art to my collection and have been avoiding it all.    :wink:

1 Like

Reporting back:

I just got the new 200GB SanDisk MicroSDXC card, and it seems to work fine, even without reformatting to FAT32.

I’m loading my full music collection (which is rather massive) onto the card as we speak, and I’ll report back again to say whether or not I’ve had any problems.

So far, so good, though.

So it’s finished loading, and all the folders are displayed correctly. I’ve read about people aving trouble wit FLAC files on exFAT, but MP3’s up to 70MB are working correctly (which, for my purposes, pretty much means all of them).

Thanks for your help. Nice to have all of my music in one place again now that iPod Classic is off the market…

SanDisk really should support these officially, and fix the database limit to something MUCH higher (say, 500,000), and this would be a replacement for the market Apple lost after they stopped making the Classic.

Thanks for reporting back.  And just amazing, so much in such a small device, which is a good one besides!   :slight_smile:

I know I’m fighting a losing battle, but I can’t help but think that this would be a magic and ultra-successful solution if marketed well . . . .

I have a clip jam. I added a SanDisk Ultra micro 32gb sd card. The albums I downloaded to the “SD” have taken up over 16gb of the card’s memory yet the clip jam will not show all of the Artists or albums when I select the “SD” > Artists or Albums option.
When I connect the clip jam to my computer, all of the artists and albums that are on the SD card show on the computer. They also show when I just insert the SD card into my computer.
I check “My Computer” drive “J” (where the clip jam is connected to) and it shows that the card still has over 16gb available.
I’m was thinking that the clip jam can only read 16gb of data off the card. So I deleted some albums and then reload others. The new albums appear on the clip jam until the 16gb are filled, then any other albums loaded do not show. The new albums do appear when connected to my computer once again.
I have tried playing the albums that don’t appear on my clip jam (using my computer) and they play.
I was reading that the clip jam can only display 2000 titles (on the internal 8gb memory). Does this mean that the 32gb SD card uses the same limit as well (2000 titles on internal memory)? I thought the “SD” option would have it’s own display limit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks