Clip Sport Songs Order & Album Mix-ups

I put numbers in front of each song title, i.e. 01Elenor Rigby, 02 Yellow Submarine, etc. and it still will not play in that order.  It randomly picks even though I have shuffle off.  Help.

It is not fixed in version 1.38. At least what many are asking for in this thread was not addressed in the latest firmware. “Songs” formatting does not recognize folders. If you have two folders of music, say two albums, the folder separation will be ignored by your Clip Sport and all songs from the two albums will be sorted in one list of files that will be played according to an inscrutable goofball logic. Sure in alphabetical order but geez you are going to load only one album??? Then what are you going to do with three or four albums rename each file??? Who wants to spend time doing that??? Let alone trying to figure out what sort of filing format to use? Also, you can’t know the result until after loading the files and viewing them on your device.

If you load two albums and sort via “Songs” all files will be shown, sorted by some goofy logic others have tried to solve in this thread. If you look at those via “Folders” the formatting does not sort according to conventional numbering. I didn’t realize the value of Rockbox until dealing with this. It’s just that there are no easy work-arounds and there should be. Highly disappointing to say the least.

Files named 01_ABC_ through 12_ABC_ Do not sort properly in Folder view.

Files named 1through 13 Do not sort properly in Folder view.

Files named cd0track01 through cd0track12 sort properly in Folder view. I guess you could rename all your files this way. Joy.

“Songs” just screws up these files from multiple albums by throwing them all together.

So, thanks to all the advice here, I have just spent the last couple of hours renaming, renumbering and resorting my music using mp3tag and a file sorter, and it’s mostly worked; my music is now in the order I want it to be in (with a couple of exceptions which don’t seem to be working no matter what I do).

I like this little device; the sound quality is good and it’s small and light; it was bought as a replacement for my old, and much loved Sony Walkman as the battery was beginning to die.  Had I known that there were all these issues with it, I’d probably have opted for another Sony, but at least it seems to be working OK now.

So my complaint is exactly stated here: https://www.schauenburg.nl/posts/2017/08/10-sansa-clip-sport/

The Request: The default ability to sort files alphabetically in Folders (without resorting to tagging fixes and the like). This might allow one to easily load albums and have those files play according to their intended order (the order originally determined by the musicians).

Surely SanDisk can accomplish this in a firmware update??

the sorting algorithm has not changed in a very long time and likely will not change. best advice is to use a program like MP3 tag and make sure all the ID3 tags are filled out correctly in the files and use the music option in the menu to view them. 

using files will be sorted alphabetically but any new added files will be sorted at the bottom of the list. as they are new additions to the FAT. If you want the files option sorted alphabetically you would have to load all files again each time anything new is added. 

I have been thinking that preparing and curating audio files for a Clip Sport / Clip Jam is like driving a car with manual transmission with no instruction manual.  And SanDisk does not provide a global, all purpose, dedicated software package like iTunes that hides all the inner workings of their players behind a bunch of colorful pop-up windows.

I hope that new owners will take a deep breath and try to read through the various helpful discussions and solutions that are contributed by an amazing variety of patient owners throughout this helpful Forum.

AND, here is an interesting & educational explanation of the FAT table sorting problem that causes Folder Mode access problems for the Clip Sport & Clip Jam.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/FAT-Sorter.shtml

I have been thinking that preparing and curating audio files for a Clip Sport / Clip Jam is like driving a car with manual transmission without a detailed instruction manual.  And SanDisk does not provide a global, all purpose, dedicated software package like iTunes that hides all the inner workings of their players behind a bunch of colorful pop-up windows.

I hope that new owners will take a deep breath and try to read through the various helpful discussions and solutions that are contributed by an amazing variety of patient owners throughout this helpful Forum.

AND, here is an educational explanation of the FAT table sorting problem that causes Folder Mode sorting problems for the Clip Sport & Clip Jam.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/File-Management/FAT-Sorter.shtml

drlucky,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand it is unlikely there will be any changes in firmware coding. I don’t mean to be rude or untoward by also mentioning what follows. It may help prompt SanDisk in present or future coding improvements.

These devices come with an enormous amount of internal memory and have the capability to add more externally. A very large amount of music can be stored on them. So lets’ say one wants to store the set of Beethoven piano sonatas. Beethoven wrote thirty-two of these. Most have three or four movements. So that would amount to 32 Folders of three or four files each. If these are .wav files internal memory use would leave approximately two gigabytes with the ability to use more on an external memory card. If the user prefers MP3 format memory capability can be increased four or fivefold. So you may also want Chopin’s Nocturnes on there, along with a few Van Halen albums for good measure.

If we put the thirty-two folders (the sonatas), each with three or files, a normal user would expect them to be sorted in alpha/numeric format as may be stored on a hard drive. The user does not want to have to re-name or tag each of these files (167 in this case) and the user most certainly does not want to listen to these files in any other order than intended by the composer. While the order may not be so important for pop music I think most users would prefer the option to sort this way. And it is crucial for classical music files to be played in a particular order as I think most people understand. So even if there are “fixes” in tagging techniques or in what would be a monumental task of re-naming files, I am not satisfied. This issue should be fixed the proper way through coding so that it works properly right out of the rigid plastic shipping container.

In all other respects it’s a fine player; otherwise I wouldn’t take so much time here.

Most respectfully,

Flunky.

I think it may be possible to accomplish the requirements of new member Flunky with the quick execution of a simple batch file command directly inside a subfolder of Music in the player or the micro SD card.

For example, in Flunky’s Clip Sport there can be a subdirectory named “Beethoven”.  And this subdirectory contains all the 32 folders (each with 3 or 4 audio files). And when Flunky uses Windows File Explorer to view this subdirectory collection, all 32 folders are properly named so they are displayed in the exact desired order of playback. (And the internal 3 or 4 audio files can be displayed in the desired order.)

Then Flunky can create this simple 2-line text file (using Notepad) and save it as “Playlist.bat” in the Beethoven subdirectory.

@echo off
dir /o:n /s /b *.mp3 *.wma *.wav> Beethoven.m3u

Then use Windows File Explorer to double-click on the bat file and the Beethoven.m3u file will be automatically created within 3 secs or less. Then use Playlists mode from the MUSIC menu or the CARD menu to start your playback.  Make sure all the possible shuffle commands are set to “Off” for your desired linear playback.

If you decide to repeat this process with other subfolder collections, make sure you use different  names for the “m3u” files

Hi everyone.

I’m testing the the folder mode (firmware 1.39) and it seems that, in my case,  it works randomly.

Example 1 OK (MP3):

01 - Melendi - Mi Rumbita Pa Despues - EMG

02 - Melendi - Desde Mi Ventana - EMG

03 - Melendi - Se Lo Que Hicisteis - EMG

04 - Melendi - Sin Noticias De Holanda - EMG

Example 2 not OK (FLAC):

03  Brick England (feat. Pet Shop Boys)

15 Swipe for this

06  Here For You (feat. Gary Numan)

01  The Heart of Noise, Pt. 1 (feat. Rone)

Example 3 not OK (FLAC):

1. Oxygene, Pt. 4

2. Oxygene, Pt. 5

3. Oxygene, Pt. 6

4. Oxygene, Pt. 3

5. Oxygene, Pt. 2

Example 4 not OK (MP3):

05 Stay

14 Detach

15 S.T.A.Y

13 Coward

11 Running Out

I hope Sandisk fixes this soon. It’s really anoying.

Thanks.

Take a look at the brief discussion of file sorting problems using Folder Mode in this message from the Forum.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/SanDisk-Clip-Sport/Wrong-sorting-in-folder-mode/m-p/359551/highlight/true#M3587

Thanks DFELD2005 but I believe what it is suggested there is just a poor workaround. Sandisk should take care of this issue via firmwar.e

Regards.

I have been reading all the many unhappy comments written by new owners of the Clip Sport (and Jam) on this Forum for the past 2 1/2 years. I agree that these devices are not as tech savvy as the iPod Nano, FiiO X3, and Sony Walkman A players.

However, the Clip Sport and Jam are sold at 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of the more capable players.

The cute pictures on the box and the nice price tag do not reveal the minimalist features of the SanDisk players to unsuspecting buyers. 

I now own a few Clip Sports for the price, size, convenience, audio quality (really good), battery duration and personal challenge of discovering how the player can execute even more desired features with bit of patience and software tweaking. 

Although I respect your point of view, I don’t agree. Sorting the files correctly (as any operating system does) is not a special feature, it is just common sense.

I believe what many people are asking for is to fix a bug.

Regards.

Up until recently I used fatsorter on the folder files, either the internal drive or an external card, and that arranged the folder alphabetically on the sport player.

Something sad happened without an explanation. fatsorter stopped working. No matter what I do, including windows compatibility mode, it won’t work again.

There is no other utility I can find that does the sorting, so I am stuck.

Anybody else have this issue with fatsorter?  From reading the posts above there is no other workaround.

Another idea…has anybody tried reformatting the disk to ntfs? Not sure 

1. whether sandisk o/s cares

2. whether this helps the file order

A few comments & suggestions:

1.Scan the Clip Sport internal memory  and micro SD card for errors.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disk-error-checking-windows-8

1. Do not use NTFS format for the internal or external memory.

2. Use FAT32 format for the micro SD card. (No larger than 32 gb).

3. Try the player’s System Settings Format command for the internal memory (as a last resort).

4. Make sure you use the Windows Eject Command after you finish a session with Fat Sorter (and after all  file management sessions),

Overlock Sewing Machine–Also known as Sergers, it is a specific sort of sewing machine to sew more than a couple of bits of textures together. It encases the edge of the texture inside a string packaging and are utilized for edging, stitching, or seaming. They are accessible with different string use choices. It gives an expert assembling contact to the attire.

CongerForOregon

So are you guys ever going to fix this totally unnecessary bug? If your player is sorting them, it’s no harder to sort them alphanumerically than by whatever means it’s doing it now. This is not rocket science, and a total no-brainer. 
I’ve seen 5 euro mp3 players that can do it, so saying it’s cheap, too bad, is totally idiotic, and pure nonsense.
Please fecking fix this!!!

This is a product failing.  I have tried for 4 years to discern the logic.  The only solution is to render all the chapters into one (enormous) continuous file.