Clip Sport Songs Order & Album Mix-ups

@andy2014 wrote:

This is not a final solution for the most people but a temporary work around. What if you want to change to another mp3 player or you already have a second one or a mobile phone and you regularly transfer your mp3s from the Clip Sport to that and reverse. It’s all heck of a workload just because of this stupid bug, Sansa doesn’t care.

It’s working on the firmware update . . . .

I confirm that running the firmware update 1.17 resolves the issue. It was easy to follow the Manual Update instructions on my gentoo linux system running kernel 3.12.5. Thank you very much for the fix; I was just starting to look for the receipt when I found this.

Hm, so far in testing .mp3 and .m4a files this issue is fixed as I said before in the new firmware. However, .flac file metadata and filenames are still ignored, and the album view sorts alphabetically.  The .flac files I’m tesitng with do contain track number metadata and the filenames start with the track number.

ARTIST=Josh Abrams

ALBUM=Natural Information      
YEAR=2010
TRACK=1.
TITLE=Mysterious Delirious Fluke of the Beyond

In the album view on the Clip Sport, that track would play last because of its position from the title places it thus.

I recommend SanDisk QA test with ogg vorbis and all other supported file formats to ensure track number information is processed correctly.

Please let us know if this can be corrected in firmware 1.18, and an estimate of when that’ll be available. :smiley:

Hi.

I am new Clip Sport user.

It seems that 1.17 firmware works with flac files encoded with new versions of libFlac.

Today I’ve noticed that some of my flac files are ok(correct order in folder view and visible artist and album tags) and some are not.

I checked what’s different with them and it seems that my old files encoded with 1.1 flac encoder are not working.

Files encoded with 1.3 DO work.

Reencoding with foobar2000 with newest flac encoder fixed older files.

I’ve tried firmware 1.17 an 1.18 an 80 percent of my albums songs are still in alphabetical

and not in the order they are meant to be in. This isn’t a ploblem with my older sansa clips,

maybe they should look at the firmware on these devices and fix this ploblem. I stil

have two weeks to return my sandisk sport clip for a full refund so please fix this.

I haven’t purchased this yet but I have a question.  I do not browse by any ID3 tags, It has never quite worked right for me on any MP3 player.  So is everything sorted correctly when browsing by folders?  I mean like " 01 - track1 , 02 - track 2" and so on?  How about on the previous and the updated firmware?

It should be. I mean, I think that it’s the current set up. 

Long term satisfied SanDisk and Sansa customer … Just bought Clip Sport 8GB device, and have updated to v1.18 (latest). This will still NOT show tracks in other than alphabetical, even with .m3u play-list file. I am using Vorbis (.ogg) files on Ubuntu Linux, ripped from my own CD collection. The files all work fine on Linux, Android, and Sansa Clip Zip. When will this be fixed?

I just emailed SanDisk Support about this as well  . . . if they come back with anything useful (within 2 days) I will post it here.  I just exchanged my defective Clip Zip for the Sport a month or so ago and have been very frustrated with this issue.  I listen to audiobooks.  

First transferred books to an external card, had this problem.  Then I installed Firmware update 1.18 and did not have the problem any more.

Today, transferred a book to internal memory for the very first time and had the problem again. The strange thing is, if I view the contents of the internal memory from my computer, the parts are in order.  Viewing them on the Sport under the ‘Books’ feature, they are all screwed up.  This book has 39 parts, so I am not keen on hunting for each part.

Then, based on what I just read here, I looked at the book under the ‘Folders’ feature, and the parts are in order.  Thank God.

But what the heck?  Screwy as can be.

1 Like

@pattiq22 wrote:

The strange thing is, if I view the contents of the internal memory from my computer, the parts are in order.  Viewing them on the Sport under the ‘Books’ feature, they are all screwed up.  This book has 39 parts, so I am not keen on hunting for each part.

Then, based on what I just read here, I looked at the book under the ‘Folders’ feature, and the parts are in order.  Thank God.

But what the heck?  Screwy as can be.

This is because your computer sees the “file” structure; you Clip Sport does not. It reads (and sorts) by the information in the ID3 tags. If you look under Folders, it’s more like looking at the contecnts on your computer, by file names.

You need to edit your tags.

Not screwy at all. That’s the way they work. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Not screwy at all. That’s the way they work. :wink:i

And, in fact, that’s the way the majority of modern players work–folder view is in the minority.

I’m a new owner of a Clip Sport player.  I used EasyTag to set the ID3 tags for the files in a folder.  I force-wrote changes to ensure that the tags were rewritten.  I deleted the MUSIC.LIB file, hoping that it would be regenerated using the tags.  Even with that, the files in the album view are in alphabetical order by the song name, ignoring the number that preceeds the song name on the file, and apparently, the number in the ID3 tag.  This songs in this folder are ogg files, BTW.

In the folder view, as well, the order is unexpected.  In the folder I mentioned above, the order is 16*, 02*. 04*. 03*, 05*, 06* (the * indicates the rest of the file name).

In my experience, I am unable to influence the order of the files.  I bought the device knowing some people had trouble with song order, but had read (I thought) that the folder view was conventional and I could live with that.

Hoping I could write a program to “touch” the files in the correct order, I looked at file modified, accessed, and changed dates, but none of them predict the file order.

1 Like

This is still the biggest performance (firmware) issue with the SanDisk Clip Sport.

Alphabetic is just random that doesn’t work properly.:angry:

There are several possible work-arounds that would resolve this.

• (EASY FIX):: Don’t support all-tracks view / scroll list. This should not prevent random play, and completely removes MEMORY-constraint issue. I have only ever used this function (and only on desktop) to search or compare/edit, for standardized spelling / case, or to find obscure B-side tracks (alt. artist / covers).
  • (TRADE OFF):: Remove feature of seperate external and internal storage, to provide a larger song/track storge capability. This still needs other bugs (in sorting / near-duplicate tracks / presentation) to be fixed. At the very least, the device should then work as well as the Sansa Clip Zip.
  • (TRUE SOLUTION):: A more sophisticated memory schema, for sparse storage of track names (supporting 24-character sort, 36-character display). I am still wotking on this, including sample code, so will report back later …

NOTE: For me, this also need support for Vorbis Ogg ( .ogg ) music, as ALL MUSIC should be in correct track-order. Albums should also appear in _ date _ (year and/or month) order by default, with _ alphabetic _ only an option.

I certainly hope they fix this soon, in firmware v1.19 or v1.20. :dizzy_face:

According to this (http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15598),,) the new firmware corrects this issue

Your link does not display anything useful.

I believe some of the track order issues were supposed to be fixed (in 1.17 or 1.18) for certain simpler/older music files types.

It certainly does NOT work (at all) for me.

Does anyone have a date / target for v1.19 (or v1.20) to be released?

Hopefully to address some of this …

(Ulp, no need to scream!  We can read you just fine . . . .)

Hi All - I just got my Clips sport and have upgraded to 1.17 firmware. I cant beleive how much trouble I’m trying to get it to play songs in order.

I drag over an album from itunes into the clip Music folder. The album which has three disc (CD’s) and each disc has around 20 songs. The file names show up in the clip folder as: 

1-01 Song1.mp3

1-02 Song2.mp3

1-03 Song3.mp3

etc

with the next album showing up as 

2-01 Song1.mp3

2-02 Song2.mp3

etc

All songs have correct tags assigned (via itunes).

However when I trying to play them on the clip via Music / Album it shows them in a weird order:

Disc 1 - Song 1

Disc 2 - Song 1

Disc 1 - Song 2

Disc 2 - Song 2

etc

How the hell can I get the clip sport to play all disc 1 songs in order then move onto disc 2?

I wish I just bought a **bleep** ipod nano!

Are you sure that this is not an ID3 tag issue, with the title and/or album fields?

You might check with good Internet freeware tag editor MP3Tag.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Some days ago I bought the SanDisk Sport Clip. While looking for a fix for issues with track order (for mp3 files with full ID3 tags) I stumbled upon this forum and decided to post my question in the hope of a useful reply from SanDisk support.

Out-of-the-box my player had FirmWare version 1.17 pre-installed and I can confirm that the tracks are now indeed ordered according to tracknumber. However, some very serious issues remain that make this player practically unusable as-is:

1. In Music view: A directory structure Artist->Album->Tracks is created using the tags as one may expect any decent mp3 player to do. However, the Artist, Album and Track names are truncated at ~12 places. Since it is extremely common for album, artist (and/or tracknames) to be longer than 12 places the sorting mechanism is effectively nullified. Take this example:

Artist\Album\Track

Britney Spears\Live at Winterland Theatre 1971, Disc 1\Track 01 (etc)
Britney Spears\Live at Winterland Theatre 1971, Disc 2\Track 01 (etc)

Due to the name truncation both Disc 1 and Disc 2 are renamed to the folder ‘Live at Wint’ containing first all ‘Track 01’ files, then all ‘Track 02’ files, etc. Adjusting the Album-tag to something below 12 spaces may possibly prevent this issue, but it is simply not an option to change my entire database with many tens (read: hundreds) of GB’s worth of mp3/flac files into nonsensical-less-than-12-spaces names specifically for this player.

1. Folder view: The folder view could have provided a good workaround for the issue mentioned above using filename=track_nr-title, except that here and with Firmware version 1.17 the files are sorted in seemingly random order (i.e. not in alphabetical order, but perhaps in order of modification/creation date?)

Due to the combination of both issues the SanDisk sport clip is effectively in a permanent pseudo-shuffle mode (under both the Music and Folder views) making it worthless whenever the track order is essential for album integrity, for example with concept albums, full-concert recordings or classical music (concider listening to the Matthaus-Passion in random order).

If I had been aware of these issues earlier I would never have purchased this player, which brings me to the question:

Will the issues mentioned above be fixed in an upcoming Firmware update?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

(It would be great to receive a replay within a week, since then the warranty will approach expiration and I will be forced to return the product for a refund if things remain as they are now, with the associated breach of trust in brandname).