Cannot get Clip Sport to accept playlists

I’ve been trying to get my playlists onto my Clip Sport but to no avail. I’ve tried every suggestion I’ve found in the forums, on the site, and at other sites. I’m using Text Edit on my Mac and have noticed that it won’t save the document with the .m3u at the end. I have to add that after it’s saved and wonder if the document isn’t actually reading as .m3u. However, I can’t find any way to do it differently. I’ve also tried using VLC (http://www.videolan.org/)) with amendments in TextEdit. (v 1.9) Any suggestions to keep me from pulling out the rest of my hair  will be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Ah … Mac! You say that you are using Text Edit. I don’t know that. I use linux. But the problem is the same. The SanDisk player does not accept text files used by Macs and Unix (with their EndOfLine markers). Later version of Windows do but not the SanDisk player. I suspect unix2dos (or mac2dos) is avaiable somewhere on or for the Mac. AN M3U PLAYLIST IS JUST A PLAIN TEXT FILE! Well, a Windows text file. Text files have strings of letters and characters then a marker for the end of the line then more characters then another marker for the end of the line (EOL) then more characters … in one string (a file is just a long string of bytes, characters with markers indicating where it should be split into separate lines for display). Macs (the old Mac’s using the OS developed by Apple) use CHR$(13) (CTRL-M) to mark the ends of lines. Mac OSX, developed from the Next computer whose basic OS is BSD (a Unix variant) like other Unix variants (e.g. Linux, Solaris, …) uses CHR$(10) (CTRL-J) to mark ends of lines. Windows on the other hand use the pair of characters CTRL-M CTRL-J (CHR$(13) followed by CHR$(10)) to mark the ends of lines. So … it is a Windows text file as windows would create it with their own EOLs (if you use a text editor in Linux for example to create a playlist you will either have to use one configured to act like a Windows Text Editor and use Windows EOLs or manually add the extra CHR$(13) to the end of each line or use a utility like unix2dos which converts a Unix, Mac text file to one with Windows EOLs - If you use an IBM mainframe which uses EBCDC instead of ascii you’re on you own). While versions of Windows through XP NEED Windows EOLs (at least in batch files - but not in files loaded into Edit.exe), Windows Vista can handle more standard (Unix, Mac - CHR$(10)) End Of Line markers as well. Not the SanDisk player. The SanDisk needs Windows EOLs.

1 Like

That is an obvious bug ,that needs fixing.

Thanks for the insight, and in identifying an issue so out-dated I would not have thought to try it.