Audiobooks do not show up properly

I just traded in a non-functioning Clip+(after only 7 months!) and the only players Best Buy had was the Sport. So I charged it, downloaded a bunch of audiobooks and now can’t figure out how to make them play in order. They will all play, but randomly, and Shuffle is set to off in Settings. that was the first thing I did.

I have spent hours today searching for a solution, I even spent time in a help Chat with Sandisk and the only option they could give me was to spend addtional hours using iTunes to rename, tag, etc. each file individually. The user manual says that you can only have files with less than 16 characters. So I renamed the files and recopied them to the Sport, but they retain the original file name so that was time wasted.

Other sources say to tag the file but that doesn’t seem to be a functiion I can figure out on a Mac, it also doesn’t seem to be an option in the version I have.

Overdrive (the source for the audiobooks) says all you have to do is drag and drop the files into the player. And yes, I did check to see that my player was on their supported list. 

here is their user info:    http://www.mcpl.us/catalogs/overdrive/OverDrive-to-MP3-Mac.pdf

Now, playing around with the player I have discovered that if you go to Folders/Audiobooks/your book title, you can play the books in the proper order. ??? I hope this is a glich that they can fix because it is really a stupid bug. This is the 5th Sandisk I have owned and each one gets less and less usable. Maybe should put one out that is for the exclusive use of audiobook users since a lot of the mess seems to be linked to the needs of OCD music users!